PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Ibook Ram?

WolfBane
20th April 2005, 08:59 PM
Hi peps :)
First time posting anything in a forum. Really interested in a 12" iBook but was wondering what the minimum RAM i should get. Will only be using it to surf the web, the odd game (Diablo2), storing my pictures and music. I've decided to stick with 30gig hardrive.

aaron_meredith
20th April 2005, 09:01 PM
Mac OS runs beautiful with over 512 RAM. Everything justruns about 2x the speed of what it is running now... I would recommend that you get a 512 or 1 gig stick and add it to the 256 already in the compuyer... just so your little ibook will purrrrrrr :P

WolfBane
20th April 2005, 09:13 PM
sweet...thanks...but how bout when tiger is release....would 512 cut it?? also, i've read rumours that the ibook maybe upgraded pretty soon...should i wait?? never used a mac before...alwayz had a windows machine....sick of bill gates hehe

hawker
20th April 2005, 09:34 PM
Should run fine. However, if you have the cash upgrade the best you can. 768MB of Ram is really good ;)

aaron_meredith
20th April 2005, 09:38 PM
Tiger will run fine on the 768 RAM that you would be running if you addedd the 512 Stcik to teh 256 Built in. They only porblem you will have is the video card which is not supported by Core Images in tiger, which simply means you wont get all the jazzy effects that Dashboard and other apps create. There is some information on the internet that says the the GPU might and i mean might let the COU take over some of the core image intnese work and you still might get these effects to a degree... but no body knows until tiger is released.

In terms of updated iBooks, thyw will comes but who knows when. Simply if you need it now, go and buy, if you dont need it now and can wait.. wait until the graphics cards are updated in the ibooks adn maybe the CPU and other upgrades. Tere were rumors that the iBooks were going to be updated last Monday.. but that was been and gone.. so now if looks lik we look towards WWDC.

Kildare
20th April 2005, 11:26 PM
Obviously an iBook is useable with 256MB of RAM otherwise they wouldn't sell it.
I bumped mine up to 512MB total & although it does help it hasn't blown me away.

Pretty happy with the machine's overall performance. :)

WolfBane
21st April 2005, 08:24 AM
thanks for the info guyz. have no idea what core images are but i didnt know that the iBook doesnt support it. it'll probably not affect me much...but i think i'd decide to wait until tiger is release and hopefully a new iBook is released as well. i'd assume the powerbooks support core images...am i rite?? i dont need a laptop rite now, just wanted to get one to play around with B)