PDA

View Full Version : Is It A Good Time To Get A Pb Now?

arribadia
20th April 2005, 07:28 PM
I know there is probably a never bad time to get that nice machine.. but it would certainly be quite crappy if after buying it, Apple updates the line with the new E600 chips or even one of those dual core CPUs..

Do you guys think there would be any updates to the PB line soon?

protrax
20th April 2005, 07:36 PM
maybe this is worth a look:

buyersguide.macrumors.com/ (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/)

Paxton
20th April 2005, 07:37 PM
There is no reason not to buy a PowerBook now. Apple will be struggling to get a Dual Core Processor into a PowerBook anytime soon, because of heat issues. Also, there is no dual core PowerPC CPU released yet, and we are optomistic over the speed of the e600. So, go for a PowerBook, and don't worry about your computer getting superseded, because in technology, it will happen. Don't worry about something that you have no power over. Welcome to Appletalk arribadia and protrax. By the way, Macrumors is not exactly accurate, and I would wait for something like ThinkSecret (http://thinksecret.com) have to say.

-Andrew

hawker
20th April 2005, 07:42 PM
No updates of these in the future is my guess... Well in the near future anyway :P

Rayd
20th April 2005, 08:00 PM
i am planning to get a powerbook 12" with superdrive... do you think that its value will be good for the next 5 years or so?

if not how long do you think it will last?

arribadia
20th April 2005, 08:01 PM
Oh...

I thought the e600 would be coming soon :ph34r:

Hmmmm... hmmmmm... I certainly don't feel so good buying yesterday's G4 today though.. maybe I will wait till my birthday in August and see how it works out then! :rolleyes:

arribadia
20th April 2005, 08:02 PM
I know the G4s are pretty swift now and all, but I'd rather have something with a bit more bus to it...

The current G4 seems to be running on some sort of crippled architecture, and while it does work, the geek in me seems to be saying.. "No..." :rolleyes:

Paxton
20th April 2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by arribadia@Apr 20 2005, 08:02 PM
I know the G4s are pretty swift now and all, but I'd rather have something with a bit more bus to it...

The current G4 seems to be running on some sort of crippled architecture, and while it does work, the geek in me seems to be saying.. "No..." :rolleyes:
The G4 in all cases is based on the G3 architecture, with the Altivec engine bolted on. Thus making the basics of the chip about 8 years old. There is also a System Bus bottleneck. It is one of the things you don't notice if you have never used a a G5 (like me). Hope this helps.

-Andrew

hawker
20th April 2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Apr 20 2005, 08:00 PM
i am planning to get a powerbook 12" with superdrive... do you think that its value will be good for the next 5 years or so?

if not how long do you think it will last?
Technology is moving so quick. However, will be awesome machine for at least 3 years. However, being a G4 with decent specs, could last up to five years... But it really depends, will you not upgrade for 5 years :P

arribadia
20th April 2005, 10:16 PM
Actually I'd say to ipod_man.. if you can help it.. wait until August/September...

call it a premonition, I'm no medium but I really think a next round of speed bumps is going to come by September latest.. Tiger is only going to boast sales for so much... I doubt it will hold up till the Christmas season :rolleyes: