PDA

View Full Version : First gen iPhone on FW 2.0.1

W9cae
6th August 2008, 01:05 AM
I had been reading posts from users about an upgrade to FW 2.0.1 on the first gen GSM iPhone was working without loosing the sim unlock and activation.

I just tried my pawnd 2.0 first gen and found after the upgrade to FW 2.0.1 it is indeed still unlocked and activated.

Folks wanting a jailbreak and 3rd party apps you will have wait for an upgrade pawnage tool.

This was the simplest firmware upgrade ever, some are saying Apple has given up on trying to keep the first gen un-hacked. I am starting to believe this and hope this is true.

The FW 2.0.1 uses the same baseband or "modem" as FW 2.0.0 which is 04.05.04_G

ozron
6th August 2008, 12:26 PM
That's encouraging news. I'll wait for the pwnage update however, which they're currently testing, before I upgrade.

Keep a close watch on the iphone-dev team's blog at blog.iphone-dev.org (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/) for further updates on their progress.

bean
6th August 2008, 01:07 PM
I had been reading posts from users about an upgrade to FW 2.0.1 on the first gen GSM iPhone was working without loosing the sim unlock and activation.

I just tried my pawnd 2.0 first gen and found after the upgrade to FW 2.0.1 it is indeed still unlocked and activated.

Folks wanting a jailbreak and 3rd party apps you will have wait for an upgrade pawnage tool.

This was the simplest firmware upgrade ever, some are saying Apple has given up on trying to keep the first gen un-hacked. I am starting to believe this and hope this is true.

Help needed
It came up with error 2002
I have just tried mine and I now have an image of Steve Jobs saying (UPEBEA)
Any ideas as I was going to wait until I read you had been successful
I Tunes is saying in recovery mode you need to restore

theov
6th August 2008, 03:24 PM
anyone else tried this yet?

Also how easily can you restore to 2.0.0 if it doesn't work??

did you just use pwnage and follow all the standard steps or did your iPhone have anything out of the ordinary that a normal user wouldn't have??

theov

W9cae
6th August 2008, 03:29 PM
bean;

I am not quiet sure you might have followed the directions. You needed to do a UPDATE if you do a restore you will wipe the sim unlock & activation.

Also did you have your phone full of 3rd party stuff ? your best to remove this before an upgrade.

You might have to restore your phone with your pawnd 2.0 and then upgrade to 2.0.1

You also realize when your upgraded to 2.0.1 there is no jailbreak and 3rd party stuff yet ?

I don't need the 3rd party so having a stock phone is fine.

W9cae
6th August 2008, 03:33 PM
The 2.0 that I pawnd was without cyida and the custom boot screens. It was as stock standard as one could make a hacked iPhone.

Seeing there is very little ported to 2.0 or 2.0.1 and installer is not released I saw no need for at this time.

theov
6th August 2008, 04:12 PM
Make that plus 1 for updating to 2.0.1!!

I have just finished upgrading and my iPhone is still working fine with Virgin!

theov

EDIT - not sure if it was something to do with the iPhone or something to do with virgin/optus but for 2 minutes I couldn't make/receive calls/messages; I turned the iphone off then on again and it all came good.

theov

bean
6th August 2008, 04:37 PM
bean;

I am not quiet sure you might have followed the directions. You needed to do a UPDATE if you do a restore you will wipe the sim unlock & activation.

Also did you have your phone full of 3rd party stuff ? your best to remove this before an upgrade.

You might have to restore your phone with your pawnd 2.0 and then upgrade to 2.0.1

You also realize when your upgraded to 2.0.1 there is no jailbreak and 3rd party stuff yet ?

I don't need the 3rd party so having a stock phone is fine.
Thanks it looks like you may have to delete everything of the phone first. This is the forth update I have done so aware of most of the pitfalls,this time it has bricked the phone until the new version of pawnage comes out. It is weird I updated in I tunes error 2002 and the only way to get it out of recovery was to do a full restore in I Tunes. Now I have the USB cable on the screen. When connected to I Tunes it is asking for the original sim

W9cae
6th August 2008, 04:51 PM
bean, that is the strangest code 2002 but asking for the original sim that means your locked. You will need to restore a pawned firmware to get back your sim unlock & activation.

bean
6th August 2008, 05:07 PM
bean, that is the strangest code 2002 but asking for the original sim that means your locked. You will need to restore a pawned firmware to get back your sim unlock & activation.
I do not think that will be possible as I am now running the latest software and will need the update to pawnage to be able to do this. Unless anyone has some bright ideas? One strange thing is the phone is locked but I can still receive and make calls via the Optus

W9cae
6th August 2008, 05:17 PM
Ok if your on the latest firmware your modem software is still the same and sim unlocked as 2.0.1 did not update that. But your activation is toast.

So what I have been told by other make a new pawnd firmware of 2.0 all you need is jailbreak & activation. So you do advanced mode

Then restore your phone with the new pawnd copy of 2.0 and then upgrade to 2.0.1

Last night a guy stuffed himself up by hitting restore and this worked to take him back down using iTunes 7.7.1

scruffie
6th August 2008, 05:20 PM
Mine works! Incredibly simple, just click on update. I guess its to make up for the scary upgrade process from 1.1.4 to 2.0 :)

Bean - do you still have the customised pawned 2.0 ipsw file? If so, you could try entering into DFU mode and doing a restore from that.

andrew.wilson
6th August 2008, 05:49 PM
Make that plus 1 for updating to 2.0.1!!

I have just finished upgrading and my iPhone is still working fine with Virgin!

theov

EDIT - not sure if it was something to do with the iPhone or something to do with virgin/optus but for 2 minutes I couldn't make/receive calls/messages; I turned the iphone off then on again and it all came good.

theov

Optus is down for people in Brisbane YET AGAIN this afternoon :mad: :rolleyes:

Mine has been flakey all day, then I heard that on the radio....f-ing pathetic...

bean
6th August 2008, 06:05 PM
Mine works! Incredibly simple, just click on update. I guess its to make up for the scary upgrade process from 1.1.4 to 2.0 :)

Bean - do you still have the customised pawned 2.0 ipsw file? If so, you could try entering into DFU mode and doing a restore from that.
Yes I do but I think I will wait until the week end to see if pawnage updates, It is a pain but I do not want to stuff up any more. I wanted to warn others that we are getting mixed results. Did you have Cydia or 3rd party apps on your phone prior to updating?

theov
6th August 2008, 06:58 PM
as per W9cae I also just had a "plain" iphone, in that it was obviously unlocked and jailbroken, but i had no third party apps and no cydia or custom logos.

Mine went through and worked with no problems that being the case.

theov

Tiprya
6th August 2008, 07:02 PM
Whoa, thats pretty good for all of us used to the usual rigmarole of updating firmwares

I'll give it a whirl when I can be arsed (and when my net is in off-peak)

Cheers for the heaps up W9cae

W9cae
6th August 2008, 07:05 PM
With any process be it hacked or legit there is bound to be some failure. For the most part this has been a very simple way owners of first gen hacked iPhone get upgraded.

I have always stressed to remove your 3rd party and any non firmware data. And I see others saying the same remarks for non hacked iPhone. Doing so seems to give a bigger chance to your success.

bean sorry this didn't work for you. Hopefully your wait for an upgrade pawn tool will be short.

scruffie
6th August 2008, 07:13 PM
I had Cydia and that was it. Nothing else.

twadds
7th August 2008, 01:26 AM
I had Cydia and that was it. Nothing else.

So scruffie, does Cydia still work after the update? I would still like to use OpenSSH etc to hack the phone etc.

scruffie
7th August 2008, 03:02 AM
Nope, its wiped. By upgrading to 2.0.1, you just get the normal iPhone apps and thats it.

If you want to continue using OpenSSH, then probably stick to 2.0 until they upgrade the pawnster.

rooread
7th August 2008, 07:04 AM
+1 for having a pwned 2.0 2G phone updated to 2.01.
I just hit the update button in iTunes and it now appears to be an offical, unhacked iPhone running 2.01!

twadds
7th August 2008, 09:39 AM
Yeah me too, did it last night no problems, after removing 3rd-party apps which required jailbreaking

f1_power
7th August 2008, 09:48 AM
I'm up to 2.0.1 on mine just did the update through iTunes and all is happy! :D

Damo32
7th August 2008, 02:43 PM
I had a go updating my 2.0 pwnd 1st gen iPhone last night and made a complete balls up of it. Had to get into DFU mode and eventyally got back to 2.0 and pwnd.

I want to give it another go tonight and was wondering if I should remove Cydia? (I have no 3rd party apps installed at all). If so - how do I remove it?? Sorry - probably a dumb question but I can't figure it out :confused:

cheers

Damo

Lutze
7th August 2008, 02:45 PM
I had a go updating my 2.0 pwnd 1st gen iPhone last night and made a complete balls up of it. Had to get into DFU mode and eventyally got back to 2.0 and pwnd.

I want to give it another go tonight and was wondering if I should remove Cydia? (I have no 3rd party apps installed at all). If so - how do I remove it?? Sorry - probably a dumb question but I can't figure it out :confused:

cheers

Damo

I updated this morning, with Cydia still in place and all the crappy (okay that's probably not fair to say that, but I really didn't want nor need it) pwnage stuff still in place but with no Jailbroken apps.

Worked like a charm... Looks like Mr. Jobs has decided to respond to my email asking him to let us go legit after all! ;)

Damo32
7th August 2008, 02:49 PM
I will give it another go tonight

when I tried last night I had everything working except I couldn't make / receive any phone calls or SMS etc. I was getting no carrier info showing.

I turned phone on and off a few times but nothing

Damo32
7th August 2008, 07:36 PM
Tried again tonight and this time worked like a charm :thumbup:

mvjs
7th August 2008, 07:44 PM
The DevTeam have said (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/45043282/omg) that 2.0.2 (compatible with 2.0.1) will be released in a few hours.

thorntonp
7th August 2008, 08:46 PM
my 1st gen phone pwned to 2.0 is now screwed after doing this update after reading here that it would be successful

I have had this phone since one week after they came out in the states, and have hacked successfully every time - till now

hope new pwnage tool fixes...

tate1984
7th August 2008, 09:38 PM
no problems here. Just clicked update and away it went.

bean
7th August 2008, 10:28 PM
my 1st gen phone pwned to 2.0 is now screwed after doing this update after reading here that it would be successful

I have had this phone since one week after they came out in the states, and have hacked successfully every time - till now

hope new pwnage tool fixes...
Hi I did the same and was going to wait. Instead I have used pawnage 2.0.1 to restore the phone back to version 2. It all went well use the I clarified guide and follow the instructions. Did you use pawnage to upgrade to version 2 in the first place. I was then able to restore from back up via I tunes. Do this and wait for the new version of pawnage to come out before up dateing. It appears if you have third party apps or Cydia installed it stuffs up. Good luck and let me know if you get stuck

terraforce
9th August 2008, 09:07 AM
Hi. This is my first post which is to spread some good news concerning this thread:

I purchased a 1st gen iPhone a couple of months after it came out. It was fully jailbroken and had a TurboSIM piggy-backed on my Optus SIM. The software version was 1.1.2, and the phone carried a lot of third party apps that I had downloaded through "Installer", and I left everything as is until yesterday when I decided to have a go at using PwnageTool to do an update etc to version 2.0 because I wanted to get onto the iTunes Store and use the latest applications.

So, here goes: I downloaded the PwnageTool app, and everything else that was required, and I also updated iTunes to v7.7.1.

After deleting all of my third party apps and resetting my iPhone back to default (not sure whether this was necessary or not, but it seemed to be the sensible thing to do), I followed all the steps in Pwnage which led to a trouble-free update. Through the process, I left my TurboSIM along with my Optus SIM in the iPhone, and found that my Optus connection remained intact.

After everything was finished "and working", I took a big chance and clicked on the iTunes 2.0.1 Update (Download & Install) button, and sat back with fingers crossed..........................................

The result was: my iphone updated without any problems at all to the latest full version, which I have to imagine makes my iPhone future updatable through iTunes, but I won't know for certain until the next update arrives?

Bottom line is that it all worked great for me, and I hope it all works great for you if you decide to give it a try. I'm not even concerned about "bricking" my iPhone from now on, because there really is the easiest ways to unbrick it: the hardest part is THINKING that you can't do it.

BTW W9cae. Thanks for starting this thread, because it's after I read that you updated to 2.0.1, that I decided to take the same chance. :)

adrezs69
11th August 2008, 10:10 PM
Hey All,
Pardon my ignorance / caution .....
If I have a Gen 1 iPhone with version 2.0 of Pwnage-ed FW version 2.0 on it, is it SAFE to upgrade to FW 2.0.1 using iTunes only.

There seems to be some mixed messages, some people in the forum say it has worked OK using iTunes others not so sure.

Just a bit scared, I don't want to screw the phone and then spend the time to rebuild ....

Thanks in advance

:confused:

andrew.wilson
11th August 2008, 10:16 PM
Hey All,
Pardon my ignorance / caution .....
If I have a Gen 1 iPhone with version 2.0 of Pwnage-ed FW version 2.0 on it, is it SAFE to upgrade to FW 2.0.1 using iTunes only.

There seems to be some mixed messages, some people in the forum say it has worked OK using iTunes others not so sure.

Just a bit scared, I don't want to screw the phone and then spend the time to rebuild ....

Thanks in advance

:confused:

From my experience, yes.

I had Cydnia and Cydnia installed apps and everything, didn't touch that stuff, simply clicked update through iTunes, went to dinner, came back and my phone looked the same as normal expect it was now on 2.0.1.

Just go for it in my opinion, no such thing as a brickable phone anymore...if it goes pear shaped, just use Pwnage to restore it the same way you did was 2.0, but for now, doing it through iTunes is the quickest and easiest way.

W9cae
11th August 2008, 10:21 PM
YES if you have a first gen iPhone on 2.0 you can update to 2.0.1 in iTunes. You will loose all your 3rd party and jailbreak. If they are important to you then upgrade with the Pwnage 2.0.2 tool. There is a guide here on MacTalk.

Rogerthatv2
12th August 2008, 08:34 PM
no problems here. Just clicked update and away it went.

Same here, fully functioning iPhone 1st Gen running 2.0.1 updated via iTunes, fingers crossed when I started it but!

plumbob
13th August 2008, 03:12 PM
If I'm still on the 3.7 Bootloader, Do you think just updating to 2.0.1 will be fine?
I just used pwnage to get to 2.0

Edit: Can confirm this works.

Shuttle
13th August 2008, 09:29 PM
Sorry if I haven't "got it" yet, but here goes. I have a 1st gen jailbroken iPhone with 1.1.3 software on Vodafone network. It also has Installer on it but I've removed any applications downloaded thru it. From what I am reading, it seems safe to simply plug in to iTunes (7.7.1) and hit Update.

If all goes well, I should have an iPhone with software version 2.0.1, still working on Vodafone, and able to install iPhone Apps direct from the iTunes store. Obviously I'll lose Installer, but no great loss to me. Is that it, am I missing anything? Do I need to to a Firmware upgrade first?

Thanks.

Linux_insidev2
13th August 2008, 09:33 PM
Sorry if I haven't "got it" yet, but here goes. I have a 1st gen jailbroken iPhone with 1.1.3 software on Vodafone network. It also has Installer on it but I've removed any applications downloaded thru it. From what I am reading, it seems safe to simply plug in to iTunes (7.7.1) and hit Update.

If all goes well, I should have an iPhone with software version 2.0.1, still working on Vodafone, and able to install iPhone Apps direct from the iTunes store. Obviously I'll lose Installer, but no great loss to me. Is that it, am I missing anything? Do I need to to a Firmware upgrade first?

Thanks.

Nope

That'll lock your phone, you will need to use pwnage with 2.0.1

Regards,
--Matt

scruffie
13th August 2008, 09:49 PM
Shuttle: you need pwnage to get you to at least 2.0.

For 2.0 - 2.0.1 you have two options:
- use pwnage to retain Cydia
- just hit update (youll lose Cydia)

Shuttle
18th August 2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks Scruffie and Linux_insidev2. I settled for using baby steps instructions to take me from 1.1.3 to 2.0.1 and I now have a happily working pwned 1st gen iPhone.

ashura
26th August 2008, 03:23 AM
Sorry I'm a bit confuse can someone clarify if this is correct? I'm running 2.0.1 and on my springboard I have Cydia and Installer(beta) installed but when the first time I updated FM 1.1.4 to 2.0 I only have Cydia but now 2.0.1 I have both

oh btw I was using pwntool the first time and second time

what do you mean by third party software? such as? Ewallet? texas hold'em <--- are this third party software? bought from apple store
OR
iblack list? <--- is this third party software download from installer not from apple store

Previous question: I think someone just asked how to uninstall software, as far as I know in the iTunes simply go to app tab and UNTICK software that you want to remove them but I don't know how to uninstall cydia or installer from spring board can someone teach/show me how to do it? weblinked perhaps?

Thank you so much
Haris

iGobbleoff
29th August 2008, 01:37 PM
has anyone gone up to a 2.0.2 with iTunes on a first gen jailbroken phone?

W9cae
29th August 2008, 01:42 PM
Yes you can do the same process up to FW 2.0.2 as the modem has not changed and you will find your phone still works. You just loose jailbreak for 3rd party cydea installer.

Scooterpig
2nd September 2008, 10:08 AM
Can anyone please tell me if they have noticed/seen any difference/performance/enhancement with Firmware update to 2.0.2 from 2.0.1 please?