PDA

View Full Version : a very USEFUL app on the appStore highly recommended

nando
5th August 2008, 08:43 PM
Yes....

Everybody is playing with their new version of 2.0.1
but..at the appStore I saw..so far the most useful App...
and given the luck other cool apps have had (NetShare for example)
I quickly purchased it...(very much worth it!) and installed...
it is...

Files

Do a search on the appStore on itunes or ur Iphone...

however highly recommended..I am amazaed...
to explain
basically it allows you to send files to your iphone from your mac or PC very easily.
in essence it is a WebDav server..so it means that you can connect very easily...
and you can send word documents, pdf files, images...
So really it is amazing...

it costs only $9.99.....very impressed...

james the 2nd
5th August 2008, 08:48 PM
Interesting app.

Does this do it wirelessly or do I still need to connect to my mac using the USB cable?

cmanou
5th August 2008, 08:59 PM
there is also a similar one i saw the other day called filemagnet

LarryH
5th August 2008, 09:06 PM
I vote for a better title - Files iPhone App

bengrubb
5th August 2008, 09:07 PM
Been looking for such an app.

Would be nice if it was a part of the operating system, but nevertheless hoorah.

Reubania
5th August 2008, 09:07 PM
there is also a similar one i saw the other day called filemagnet

Yes, I too was looking at that the other day. Not sure if I'm prepared to pay for the privilege. Not sure if I want my iPHONE to become a rather second rate PDA.

However, one definitely useful tool that I needed like 3 weeks ago, is

G-Park

From PosiMotion (who also brings you the rather bafflingly named, "G-Spot" compass program).

This basically uses the GPS system to "accurately" pinpoint your car after you park it using "Park Me!". Then go about your usual ways, and to find where you parked, "Where Did I Park?" and it calculates the route for you! For the easily-disorientated (me!), this simple and cheap program is a time/life saver! :thumbup:

And for $1.19, you can't go wrong!! :D

mechcon
5th August 2008, 09:08 PM
As soon as there's one that I can use to transfer via USB, then I'll be laughing.. but yeah, maybe I will try Files

nando
5th August 2008, 09:12 PM
Interesting app.

Does this do it wirelessly or do I still need to connect to my mac using the USB cable?

when you run the app on the Iphone it runs a server on your local network.
so any computer within your network can connect to it
for example..for me I have wifi...and the Iphone is connected on wifi..and then it says..
"use your computer to connect to http://10.10.10.5:8080/
(this is in the case of my local network..on wifi)
or even over 3G..but havent done that yet...
but is awsome...is like the old Finder in the JailBreak days..
I can now put word docs..or pdfs..
You can configure so that you can use a virtual 500MB partition or a higher partition.
You can set it up so that it will ask you for a password..

highly recommended.. ;):thumbup:

reemixx
5th August 2008, 09:18 PM
I'm waiting for DataCase (http://www.veiosoft.com/) before spending any $$$ on anything. It should be out very, very soon.

mechcon
5th August 2008, 09:33 PM
I'm waiting for Apple to make a Preview.app so to speak for this kind of thing... and yes I have posted it to Steve Jobs, and also the Feedback team.

Thunderstruck
5th August 2008, 09:34 PM
OMG! I was just talking about this very topic in the morning! We were wondering if anyone's done a file transfer/sync app for the iPhone/iPod touch that can bypass the lack of disk mode.

Awesome! I'll tell him about this tomorrow. :D :D :D

Starscream
5th August 2008, 09:35 PM
Deleted.. wasn't nice - lol sorry.

ZacDavies
5th August 2008, 10:11 PM
I'll stick with evernote

Reubania
5th August 2008, 10:17 PM
I'll stick with evernote

Me too! I am loving Evernote! Now that I have Leopard, I can use it as a desktop program...sync it to the web, and then sync it to my iPhone....or you can do the other way around...take photos from your iPhone and then use the desktop to modify it! It's such a cool (and free) app! :thumbup:

nando
6th August 2008, 09:31 AM
just a note....you need Wifi to transfer files from iphone to pc/mac or viceversa...

yayo
7th August 2008, 05:04 PM
it costs only $9.99.....very impressed...

FileMagnet is $4 cheaper and does the same thing.

Are the files actually stored on your iPhone, I've read otherwise.

nando
7th August 2008, 10:57 PM
yes the files are stored on the iPhone the file transfer only works on wifi

Beau
8th August 2008, 09:31 PM
Does this work with Windows? And if so - how? Does it appear in Network Places, or do you have to type in a web address, or is it a web server (accessible via Firefox, etc)?

Just wondering if I could use this at school with my Touch...

kyte
8th August 2008, 11:30 PM
I'm waiting for DataCase (http://www.veiosoft.com/) before spending any $$$ on anything. It should be out very, very soon.

Oh my, that certainly looks very decent!

reemixx
8th August 2008, 11:51 PM
Oh my, that certainly looks very decent!

Yep, it surely does. It was supposed to be out last week or something, but they delayed it to squash some bugs and make it all perfect for release. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

benzoenator
9th August 2008, 08:10 AM
I'm eagerly awaiting DataCase also...

will
5th October 2008, 08:19 AM
I am looking for a simple to use, budget tracking app. I just want to enter what I spend $'s on and a running total or something similar.

Any ideas?

cmrn
5th October 2008, 08:39 AM
I vote for splitting this into new topic, as it has not much to do with the posts above it.

There are plenty of budget apps on the app store (do a search on "budget" in the app store).
I have heard good things about "Spend", however I haven't used it myself. They have a lite version to try if you are interested.

kyte
5th October 2008, 08:41 AM
I am looking for a simple to use, budget tracking app. I just want to enter what I spend $'s on and a running total or something similar.

Any ideas?

There are a few on the app store (some free, some for pay - but not much), just do a power search on budget and be presented with a plethora of choices :)

will
5th October 2008, 08:42 AM
thanks for that. I have spend - I think I will look at it more closely.

I have looked at the budget apps on the store - so many!