PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 2.0.1 update and failed carrier update.

ijason
5th August 2008, 03:10 PM
Downloaded and then installed the 2.0.1 firmware update today without any problems. iTunes then informed me there was a carrier update to also download and update. This starts and fails with an "unknown error". Anyone else having this problem or is it only me??

I am on Telstra.

Andreww
5th August 2008, 03:18 PM
Yes, it seems that everyone except a few are having this issue. Doesn't seem to affect the operation of the phone.

Erwin
5th August 2008, 03:18 PM
It's mentioned multiple times in this thread:
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/56/55259-iphone-software-2-0-1-out.html

It's a known problem.

W9cae
5th August 2008, 03:29 PM
It's really only Optus users only a couple of Telstra users have had this problem. But as I said in the other thread this Optus carrier pack had issue from day one. If someone who has a copy of the Optus carrier pack that installed correctly. Could host on RapidShare for other then maybe the issue will be sorted ?

I am on Telstra and if anyone needs that carrier pack mine has had no issue.

kevinnugent
5th August 2008, 04:10 PM
Apple - Support - Discussions - Carrier update after 2.0.1 install ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1648501&tstart=0)
It's a worldwide issue... all carriers. Even Telstra. Could be a lot worse though. There are a number of people who have to re-install iTunes and restore fresh... that would be a pain.

They are going crazy on Whirlpool. :)

Oh, one bit of good news I read. Backups are now incremental, so after the first big one the subsequent ones should be a lot quicker. Looking forward to that.

themessup
5th August 2008, 04:16 PM
I'm downloading now. 250MB thats insane! (I'm coming from a world of PSP and PS3 updates :p)

bengrubb
5th August 2008, 04:47 PM
I'm on Vodafone, seen no carrier update, and everything went fine with mine.

DeanCorp
5th August 2008, 04:55 PM
I'm on Optus, I selected the update carrier settings and it was perfect. I did a complete restore from DFU mode. Then I did not restore from backup, but set up as fresh and no issues whatsoever.

Hope this helps = )

DJY
5th August 2008, 07:18 PM
Update went fine for me but I too have had the carrier errors.
Tried a few times - still errors.

Will watch and wait - but thanks for the Telstra offer - if something goes haywire - I might take you up on the offer.

iJohn
5th August 2008, 07:27 PM
Who are people getting the erros with? im with optus and get the errors!

basseyy
5th August 2008, 07:30 PM
worked for me on my touch perfectly, but I am not quite sure what the update means for me

chrsha01
5th August 2008, 07:31 PM
Who are people getting the erros with? im with optus and get the errors!

I'm with Optus also and get the errors.

Erwin
5th August 2008, 07:35 PM
I'm with Optus and I got it too, on both mine and my wife's.

iJohn
5th August 2008, 07:40 PM
So it looks like optus users

adamerr
5th August 2008, 07:44 PM
So it looks like optus users

shmeh.
im still updating anyway...

its just carrier settings lol

kevinnugent
5th August 2008, 07:46 PM
iJohn, there are users from all the carriers represented. And if you read the Apple support forum, not just here in Australia.

There appears to be more Optus users, because there are proportionately more Optus users.

bel.plews
5th August 2008, 08:18 PM
both my husband and i are on telstra and have got the carrier update error too.

NathR32
5th August 2008, 08:19 PM
I'm with Optus and just restored to 2.0.1.

Did not get the error. My phone updated carrier settings successfully.

EDIT: Is it because I restored, not updated, that I did not get an error message?

matthew858
5th August 2008, 08:23 PM
With Optus and got the error.

SubElement
5th August 2008, 08:27 PM
Just updated to 2.0.1, worked fine until I got that carrier settings error. With Optus.

mattpoon
5th August 2008, 08:42 PM
I too updated my Iphone today to 2.0.1 which is on the telstra network and I also got the carrier error message after my iphone rebooted.
On the Apple forums I was told to restore my iphone to it's original state using the restore button in itunes, which in the process it backed up all my information on the iphone, re-downloaded the 2.0.1 update, re-installed it, succesfully updated my carrier settings and then restored all my information back onto the iphone. My iphone now does not ask to update carrier settings when I sync with itunes. Woo Hoo.

I hope this fixes everyone else who is having this problem.

Good Luck !!

nando
5th August 2008, 08:50 PM
i can leave with itunes asking me bout the carrier settings..cuz restoring...eh...too much effort..the phone now is running very good now :)

ladyspink
5th August 2008, 08:52 PM
Just updated to 2.0.1. No errors. Telstra.

David Turnedge
5th August 2008, 09:17 PM
Same here on Telstra... updated to 2.0.1, carrier updated failed, locked SIM...

NathR32
5th August 2008, 09:43 PM
Aaah now I get the error message. The first time after I restored to the new firmware it said that the carrier settings had been updated successfully. Unplugged my phone from my mac and reconnected it and it says there is an update again. After clicking on it, the error message pops up for me.

Bastard Sheep
5th August 2008, 09:49 PM
I'm on Vodafone, seen no carrier update, and everything went fine with mine.

Huzzah for vodafone! Mine took about 30 seconds between booting up after the update and my carrier coming up. Yes, I was worried for that period but overall it wasn't long so wouldn't have worried me if I hadn't already read these threads.

David Turnedge
5th August 2008, 09:53 PM
The carrier update isn't working properly, is it?

Grrr... most complicated phone I've ever used...

The error code I get is 0xE8000001 (an unknown error).

macaholic
5th August 2008, 09:54 PM
worked for me on my touch perfectly, but I am not quite sure what the update means for me

Um, it means your iPod Touch does not have 'carrier' settings, coz it aint a phone! :p

mestevie
5th August 2008, 09:54 PM
Just updated. With Optus. All good NO ERRORS!:)

LevMac
5th August 2008, 10:09 PM
Hey guys, I downloaded the update in iTunes without any issues, but its at the stage where its saying "backing up iPhone" and seriously the progress bar is not moving anywhere at all, and its been 45mins !!

Erwin
5th August 2008, 10:09 PM
Hey guys, I downloaded the update in iTunes without any issues, but its at the stage where its saying "backing up iPhone" and seriously the progress bar is not moving anywhere at all, and its been 45mins !!

That's not normal, unless you literally have filled up all 16 Gb of your iPhone, but even then.

hatstand
5th August 2008, 10:14 PM
updated phone tonight and got the error message when updating carrier settings.(optus). did a restore and all working ok. requested an unlock last thurs, i'll try a voda sim later on. seems faster, now for the touch.

David Turnedge
5th August 2008, 10:23 PM
I think there is something wrong somewhere with the carrier updates... I have restored my iPhone twice now - both times installed the carrier settings without a hitch but as soon as I reconnect my phone iTunes wants me to update the carrier settings again after which time it fails...

crimespree
5th August 2008, 10:25 PM
a restore is simple and fixed the carrier issue for me, it just takes time

the restore does pause for ages at about 7/8 completed

The Fluffy Duck
5th August 2008, 10:25 PM
Im on optus and have the error

mechcon
5th August 2008, 10:27 PM
Hmm I notice 2.01 isn't 100% innocent either... An app halted, so I pressed Home. went to system prefs, and bam, froze... this happened in 2.0 as well.. but I gather the app has something to do with locking sys prefs down..

Okay, this time round, it hasn't frozen as such.. but nothing was listed under prefs!!

LevMac
5th August 2008, 10:27 PM
How long should normally these backup's take ? Honestly its starting to annoy me

macaholic
5th August 2008, 10:29 PM
How long should normally these backup's take ? Honestly its starting to annoy me

Time for a drink and a dose of channel 9.
Lots of data = long backup.

LevMac
5th August 2008, 10:49 PM
Hehehe thanks macaholic, ive got approx 10GB used on my iPhone....

matthewk
5th August 2008, 10:58 PM
Grrr... most complicated phone I've ever used...

So just because of the carrier update problems, which have absolutely no effect on the phone itself (its just an error message thrown up), you think its hard to use?

What was your previous phone? Its so much easier to use than Motorola's offering (which I have migrated from).

I updated to 2.0.1 on Optus and got the error message.

djjeffree
5th August 2008, 11:04 PM
What effect do these carrier errors have on the functionality of the phone?

macaholic
5th August 2008, 11:30 PM
What effect do these carrier errors have on the functionality of the phone?

Zip. Nada. Nothing.

Erwin
5th August 2008, 11:34 PM
I think there is something wrong somewhere with the carrier updates... I have restored my iPhone twice now - both times installed the carrier settings without a hitch but as soon as I reconnect my phone iTunes wants me to update the carrier settings again after which time it fails...

You don't have to restore to do the update. Just update, ignore the carrier error warning, it has no effect on the functionality of the phone.

rob05
5th August 2008, 11:49 PM
I am not so sure about the no affect part as I had the error and have been having dropouts during calls which didn't happen till after 2.0.1 and stalls with GPRS the 3G symbol disappears a lot more now also.

I am guessing the carriers send the info to apple who send it out via itunes this may well be where the stuff is itunes 7.7.1 seems to be corrupting libraries pretty bad a quite a few people may also have something to do with the error.

aswitcher
5th August 2008, 11:54 PM
optus and have the error...

THAPR1NC3
6th August 2008, 12:11 AM
Hi,
Yes, i am also having this issue.
It needs to get fixed because i have really really really bad reception! =[
Bye.. =]

NathR32
6th August 2008, 12:13 AM
I dont think it has anything to do with reception.

cowzy
6th August 2008, 12:40 AM
optus and have the error too, dont care either lol

tonyberinson
6th August 2008, 08:04 AM
OK everyone has the error - the phone works - so move on ... geez.

rob05
6th August 2008, 08:16 AM
I don't think it such a good idea anymore to think that the iphone is working correctly with Optus at least. I found a file in this location

Home/Library/iTunes/iPhone Carrier Support/Optus_au.ipcc

This has only appeared since the 2.0.1 update and which seemingly the update cannot install.

It now makes me wonder after reading all the issues people all over the place seem to be having with the carrier settings is it a firmware bug or an itunes bug for not allowing the install. It looks like the carrier gets the file to us then nothing.

David Turnedge
6th August 2008, 08:17 AM
The error doesn't bother me, but being asked continuously to install the carrier update each and every time I connect back to my iMac is annoying...

And to the who objected to my "most complicated phone comment"... IT WAS TONGUE IN CHEEK... sheesh some people are sensitive about these things...

rob05
6th August 2008, 08:24 AM
I hope it wasn't me. My point is and I am annoyed with the same message. Is there is a major bug by the looks of it either in the firmware or iTunes not allowing the carrier settings to install.

The carrier settings could well fix some of the reception issues and GPRS issues people are seeing only time will tell when they are actually able to install and not get the crappy message each time.

Ecto1
6th August 2008, 08:29 AM
Well ever since i update my iphone, and i got the error msg about the carrier settings. Every time i plug it into itunes i get asked to update the carrier settings and every time i click ok, i get the same error msg.

DeanCorp
6th August 2008, 08:38 AM
Can someone try and restore theirs by putting it in DFU mode and DO NOT restore from Backup, set it up as a new phone. Then updating carrier settings.

This is exactly what I did and did not have any issues with the carrier update.

rob05
6th August 2008, 08:45 AM
Yep just went down that road as a last resort and yes it works flawlessly and the carrier settings do get updated.

Now for me I have full reception indoors not previously.

No lag thus far but time will tell.

Safari is snappier

push seems to work as it should finally

will post any strange things that happen from now but it seems much better.

Hopefully the battery life improves a bit at least.

DeanCorp
6th August 2008, 08:48 AM
Cool. I posted it earlier in the thread but people obviously ignored it. I thought I would repost because by now you all should be getting desperate and will try anything and everything to get it working ;)

ppops
6th August 2008, 08:52 AM
I'm with Optus.

Absolutely no error at all. Everything went smoothly.

bel.plews
6th August 2008, 09:30 AM
Can someone try and restore theirs by putting it in DFU mode and DO NOT restore from Backup, set it up as a new phone. Then updating carrier settings.

This is exactly what I did and did not have any issues with the carrier update.

Tried this and did not work???

Erwin
6th August 2008, 10:30 AM
I am not so sure about the no affect part as I had the error and have been having dropouts during calls which didn't happen till after 2.0.1 and stalls with GPRS the 3G symbol disappears a lot more now also.

Phone works perfectly for me since the 2.0.1 update. I only got the carrier update error when I first updated - sync works fine since then, no more errors.

rob05
6th August 2008, 10:34 AM
Those who maybe not seeing errors hook up the iphone open itunes and click check updates in the iphone screen the error shows after that

nando
6th August 2008, 10:56 AM
guys dont confuse the Optus outage that happened this morning..and may still be happening in some "pockets" of network within Brisbane...with the 2.0.1 release.

tonyberinson
6th August 2008, 12:14 PM
Ah Optus... give me Telstra anyday.

Erwin
6th August 2008, 12:25 PM
Ah Optus... give me Telstra anyday.

Okay, it's yours. ;)

Thom
6th August 2008, 12:42 PM
Seconded. You can have Telstra but only if you promise to take it away with you.

hatstand
6th August 2008, 01:05 PM
did the update, now itunes tells me i have an iphone in 'recovery' mode, the phone is stuck on the apple logo and restore keeps telling me, iphone could not be restored....goddamn frigging lump of crappy crap...

silverdreamer
6th August 2008, 01:22 PM
did the update, now itunes tells me i have an iphone in 'recovery' mode, the phone is stuck on the apple logo and restore keeps telling me, iphone could not be restored....goddamn frigging lump of crappy crap...

Dude!, Have a cup of tea and a bun, settle down a bit, and then ring Apple.:)

I had heaps of drama with 2.0.1 yesterday, but got it all sorted with Apple on the line and am now happy.

Having someone on the phone to guide you through tends to decrease the frustration somewhat.

Ampace
6th August 2008, 01:23 PM
Yes, I followed a recommendation on iPhone Atlas and restored the iPhone. The Carrier update then worked but now I can't get out of the Restore window in iTunes. Apple have recommended that I uninstall iTunes and Reinstall. Yet to do that because I will lose my information and settings

dotnet
6th August 2008, 03:06 PM
Yes, I followed a recommendation on iPhone Atlas and restored the iPhone. The Carrier update then worked but now I can't get out of the Restore window in iTunes. Apple have recommended that I uninstall iTunes and Reinstall. Yet to do that because I will lose my information and settings

To get out of the Restore loop stop selecting "Restore" :)

Select "Setup as new iPhone" instead. This may sound like The Big Wipeout, but it isn't. All your apps, accounts, phone settings, ringtones, wallpaper etc. will remain unchanged. Only the iPod style content (music, photos, podcasts etc) needs to be reconfigured for syncing and transferred again.

Setting up as new iPhone makes the iPhone and iTunes known to each other again.

Cheers
Steffen.

EDIT after this the carrier update prompt will be back, BTW :D

silverdreamer
6th August 2008, 04:16 PM
To get out of the Restore loop stop selecting "Restore" :)

Select "Setup as new iPhone" instead. This may sound like The Big Wipeout, but it isn't. All your apps, accounts, phone settings, ringtones, wallpaper etc. will remain unchanged. Only the iPod style content (music, photos, podcasts etc) needs to be reconfigured for syncing and transferred again.

Setting up as new iPhone makes the iPhone and iTunes known to each other again.

Cheers
Steffen.

EDIT after this the carrier update prompt will be back, BTW :D

Sorry to correct you here, but "set up as new iPhone" will wipe all your accounts and phone settings. I know for a fact because I did it last night.
........but then, if He has followed your advice He will have found that out now for himself.

mitty
6th August 2008, 04:21 PM
^But if you did a backup couldn't you just restore that, it will restore apps/contacts etc and then you just resync all your media.

dotnet
6th August 2008, 05:29 PM
Sorry to correct you here, but "set up as new iPhone" will wipe all your accounts and phone settings. I know for a fact because I did it last night.
........but then, if He has followed your advice He will have found that out now for himself.

Sorry, but this is exactly what I did last night (after completing 3 Restore laps). None of the phone settings, mail accounts etc were lost. Hence, we must be operating in different universes...

Cheers
Steffen.

mcargy08
6th August 2008, 05:41 PM
I did the upgrade but with no error or carrier. Still haven't tried if my phone is still unlokced. Nothing change on my phone.sms still lags. And the network seems not good now. And can't play YouTube and other wifi apps when connected to wifi network. :(

chanderr7
6th August 2008, 05:42 PM
Hey Folks,

I did the following steps and got it working:

1.Restore

2.Carrier update was successful.

3.When the restore synced with my media stuff..the Carrier update failed again.[Took 2 hours for the entire process]

4.Did another restore.

5.This time Restore took about close to 11/2 hours

6.The carrier update is successfull.

[Did not find any major difference yet..]

mechcon
6th August 2008, 05:51 PM
We shouldn't have to do the restore, update, restore, update dance surely!??

hatstand
6th August 2008, 06:28 PM
try 6 hours of rooting about with 5 calls to apple, wont restore, re installed itunes twice, nothing works. just errors, and wont restore. going to throw the fucking thing at optus tomorrow.

mcargy08
6th August 2008, 06:48 PM
We shouldn't have to do the restore, update, restore, update dance surely!??

no, what I did was press update.and that's it

WoWTopia
6th August 2008, 06:56 PM
y didn't get anything about a Carrier update im with the Big T

iRuler
6th August 2008, 07:15 PM
maybe this means the phonesvare unlocked? Anyone care to try in different sims?

Erwin
6th August 2008, 07:38 PM
All I did was to upgrade just the once - just ignore the carrier update error - no effect on phone function at all.

adamerr
6th August 2008, 08:34 PM
im on Optus...
updated...

and i didnt even get a carrier settings thing

(btw i updated yesterday)

Erwin
6th August 2008, 08:37 PM
im on Optus...
updated...

and i didnt even get a carrier settings thing

(btw i updated yesterday)

You're lucky. :) Or maybe they fixed it?

kevinnugent
6th August 2008, 08:37 PM
maybe this means the phonesvare unlocked? Anyone care to try in different sims?

Phone's still unlocked. I could use my Optus, 3 and NextG sims in it afterwards.

Linux_insidev2
6th August 2008, 08:52 PM
As far as I can see, the carrier update does nothing for Optus users

I'll check out the telstra one now.

Linux_insidev2
6th August 2008, 08:56 PM
Telstra's Carrier update now includes Visual Voicemail support

Anyone able to verify this?

NathR32
6th August 2008, 08:57 PM

Optus, you better move your ass if that's the case.

kevinnugent
6th August 2008, 09:00 PM

haha good one!! :)

Linux_insidev2
6th August 2008, 09:02 PM
haha good one!! :)

Like I said, anyone wanna verify for me?

I was comparing the 2.1 with the new 2.2 Carrier bundles and noticed this, I'm on optus though so I can't test it.

Doesn't affect my Carrierbundle hack for telstra though, my carrierbundle only touches the logos but I'd probably recommend uninstalling my packages before doing these updates...

adamerr
6th August 2008, 09:06 PM
You're lucky. :) Or maybe they fixed it?

false alarm.
lol.

just synce dmy iPhone then and got the message.

carrier update failed..

haha

danno74
6th August 2008, 09:43 PM
Optus are pissing so many people off... that outage they had here in Brisbane today severely messed up my day (won't go into it, but basically not being able to make calls or use the net on it all afternoon couldn't have happened on a worse day for me), not to mention the outage they had a couple of weeks back. Couple that with the buggy 2.0.1 update, and looks like the cracks are starting to show already. Just venting. LOL

Mac Ram
6th August 2008, 09:48 PM
Like I said, anyone wanna verify for me?

I was comparing the 2.1 with the new 2.2 Carrier bundles and noticed this, I'm on optus though so I can't test it.

Doesn't affect my Carrierbundle hack for telstra though, my carrierbundle only touches the logos but I'd probably recommend uninstalling my packages before doing these updates...

Not sure how I would know? When I select the voicemail icon it starts to call.

Yesterday when I did the update to 2.0.1, I got the carrier update error, just synched now and no error. Does that mean all is well?

danno74
6th August 2008, 09:56 PM
I just synced as well and no carrier error.... hmmmm... awesome!

Linux_insidev2
6th August 2008, 10:51 PM
I guess I was imagining things

It doesn't add Visual VM support, it has got details in there for Telstra IMAP Voicemail though... Perhaps a sign that VVM is coming?

felbun
7th August 2008, 09:16 AM
I updated my iPhone last night to 2.0.1.
I'm with Optus and I had no error.

connect iPhone to iTunes.
download iPhone 2.0.1, 249Mb, took me 5 minutes do download it from iTunes.
backing up my iPhone, took me 40 minutes (hate this step, wasting my time :( )
upgrade iPhone firmware, took me about 3 minutes
auto restart iPhone
tested it, it looks a bit faster to load app and back to home.

:thumbup:

hatstand
7th August 2008, 12:45 PM
arrgh all fixed....had to dig out old laptop, install xp pro, then itunes, update itunes, then connect iphone, restore, then carrier settings. what a crock just for a bloody phone...

NORMANDY
7th August 2008, 01:20 PM
Not sure how I would know? When I select the voicemail icon it starts to call.

Yesterday when I did the update to 2.0.1, I got the carrier update error, just synched now and no error. Does that mean all is well?

must be I just did mine.. no errors now.. yesterday was an error for carrier settings all the time...

Erwin
7th August 2008, 01:41 PM
backing up my iPhone, took me 40 minutes (hate this step, wasting my time :( )

You would love this step if something goes wrong with the update and you need to restore. :)

svale
7th August 2008, 03:37 PM
must be I just did mine.. no errors now.. yesterday was an error for carrier settings all the time...

I think they removed the Optus carrier update altogether. I did a clean update a couple of days ago and after seeing all the problems experienced by people here and elsewhere, I decided to hit Cancel every time I was prompted to download and install the carrier update. Today, no prompt whatsoever. I checked my "iPhone Carrier Support" folder and it's empty.

I'm guessing all that was in the old Optus carrier update was included in 2.0.1. All signs seem to suggest that. Post-2.0.1, the iPhone shows the carrier as OPTUS rather than Optus, the voicemail number is configured correctly, and the MyZoo bookmark is in Safari.

iJohn
7th August 2008, 06:30 PM
Gday guys,

I think there fixed the error everytime i plug it in from now on no error!!!!!!!! optus user here:)

mechcon
7th August 2008, 06:34 PM
how did u fix it ijohn?

iJohn
7th August 2008, 06:44 PM
well i didnt do anything different i just simply plug it in and came up with no errors this time. Maybe apple fixed it with there server

zaphod6502
7th August 2008, 08:36 PM
Yes I just did the update tonight. There was no carrier update and the phone seems to be working fine.

NathR32
7th August 2008, 08:37 PM
I must also admit I did not get a carrier update message when I synced tonight. :)

adamerr
7th August 2008, 08:57 PM
I must also admit I did not get a carrier update message when I synced tonight. :)

either did i...
ill try resetting the phone and see what happens.

DJY
7th August 2008, 08:58 PM

same here
I suspect they withdrew the carrier updates - as there wasn't even the notification that there WAS a carrier update now.

(I'm with Telstra)

Erwin
7th August 2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I didn't get the carrier error today when syncing either.

Mac Ram
7th August 2008, 09:14 PM
Are people still getting the lag when initially going into contacts and also when texting?

chanderr7
7th August 2008, 09:18 PM
Yep I still do..!!!!

Mac Ram
7th August 2008, 09:20 PM
bugger - I was hoping it was just me and I had missed some sort of iPhone magic fix.

hoffa
8th August 2008, 12:20 AM
Mine is heaps better (faster) now!

Andrew T Chadwick
8th August 2008, 12:42 AM
No prob's with my beastie,just the iphone update,vodafone.:)

Mac Ram
8th August 2008, 12:46 AM
mmmmm...would a restore help me?

kevinnugent
8th August 2008, 10:05 AM
Are people still getting the lag when initially going into contacts and also when texting?

I don't have any lag in either area. What's the difference between us? 16gb black, and not using MobileMe here.

(But I'm still getting the Carrier Update error - small price to pay) :)