PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G & Skype/VOIP

mallo
5th August 2008, 10:12 AM
I'm out of the office a lot, making a lot of calls when i'm out, i'm keen for skype or voip to come available on the iPhone, via 3G, wifi is ok, but still limiting, but if i could be making voip calls via 3G it will save me big $$$!!!

Anyone know of an app being developed? I assume it will be via Installer 4.0 / Cydia.

This is the main thing i'm holding out on jailbreaking for, i have no need to, except if this becomes an option....

ciprol
5th August 2008, 04:02 PM
Optus and other carriers aren't stupid when they can control the network traffic. So forget it.

The only reasonable option at present time is Truephone but requires Wifi. Also, it's more expensive than Skype. Otherwise you can try s4iphone.com. But again, needs Wifi.

laprius
5th August 2008, 04:08 PM
mallo...Optus has as part of their T&C's that the network usage for voip will be counted and charged on *top* of the data allowance (they do packet inspection to check) so unless you use it through your wifi it'll cost you (unless you go to 3 who have skype as part of their X-series plans)

mallo
5th August 2008, 04:33 PM
mallo...Optus has as part of their T&C's that the network usage for voip will be counted and charged on *top* of the data allowance (they do packet inspection to check) so unless you use it through your wifi it'll cost you (unless you go to 3 who have skype as part of their X-series plans)

I just checked out the T&C's on optus' website, I dont think you are correct (i may be wrong).

here's is what i just read:

Excluded from your Call and Text Value: Call types such as International Roaming, Directory assistance, International/Premium/Group/Third Party/Web Text, Optus iZoo downloads, Content Pack subscription fees (unless specified in promotion), VoiP and 19XX calls.

Included in your Mobile Internet Data Value: a specified amount of mobile internet data value is included in your plan per month. This can be used to access services on Optus iZoo, as well as browsing the Internet from your mobile. If you exceed your planís included monthly data allowance, excess usage charges will be charged at $0.35 per MB or part thereof. Any unused data allowance cannot be rolled over. Excluded from your Mobile Internet Data Value: Your data allowance can not be used for Voice calls, Voice Mail, International SMS, premium and Third Party SMS, Optus iZoo and Third Party content purchases and subscription fees, 1300, 1900, VPN data usage and data used while roaming internationally. If you are able to access such services, your use of such services will be charged at prevailing rates. Data usage will be counted in kilobytes, where 1024kb = 1MB and includes both uploads and downloads. Rollover: Unused included call credits in any one month will expire at the end of two months and are not refundable, even at account closure.

What i dont under stand from these T&C's is that VoiP is listed under the "Calls and Text" value, but and VoiP useage would be data wouldnt it?

laprius
5th August 2008, 04:43 PM
even though you consider me to be wrong lol:

Optus are doing packet inspection on all data coming in and out of the handset so they are able to identify data that would be considered to be VOIP. Once they do that they tack it on top and charge you a premium.

you're welcome to try though I'd like to think that we could....but I think if it gets them less money from us they'll try to stop it ;)

mallo
5th August 2008, 04:52 PM
what i dont understand though, is how this is legal, as their T&C's dont say that VoiP is "over and above" the included data....VoiP is data right?

And I wont be costing them money...as I'll be staying on the same cap, just using more data, and less of my included calls....

Aladdin
5th August 2008, 09:10 PM
. . . but they'll make heaps more money if you use voice calls rather than voip.

Why else would anyone use voip except to reduce costs?

mallo
5th August 2008, 11:28 PM
even still, as per their T&C's, can they legally charge me more, as VoiP is data, and it doesnt say that VoiP is not included in my data...