PDA

View Full Version : iPhone could not sync with iTunes because of passcode lock

Reubania
4th August 2008, 12:45 AM
This is odd.

I've always had passcode on and had managed to sync nicely everytime on my old MB running Tiger and iTunes 7.7

Now I've upgraded to Leopard on a MBA with iTunes 7.7.1, I got that error message. I had to turn off passcode off and connect the iPhone to my MBA again. And it's syncing now. But has anyone noticed this error before?

macsyd
4th August 2008, 12:51 AM
That is odd. I've not had that issue, yet have passcode on and 7.7.1

Huy
4th August 2008, 01:02 AM
This is what you do:

Wake the iPhone up.
Enter your passcode.
Then connect to your MBA.

Or if it's already plugged in, then unplug it, wake it up, put in your passcode then plug it in, while it is still 'awake'.

iTunes will now recognise it.

You will see that error message when you plug your iPhone into a foreign Mac/PC.

Reubania
4th August 2008, 01:02 AM
Ok. Now it managed to merge my contacts information, mail, iTunes....but some apps weren't "authorised" on this new computer...such as Palringo, EpocratesRX, Facebook, Midomi, Remote and Wordpress.

What on earth is going on? Mind you, this is after iTunes asked me to download these updated apps...now, they don't appear on my iPhone. :thumbdn:

Huy
4th August 2008, 01:03 AM
You need to authorize the MBA.

I think it's their way of saying "do not share apps" (if they are paid apps).

Reubania
4th August 2008, 01:06 AM
AHHH!!!! Thank you!! That's the step I missed out. I signed into my Apple ID thinking that's all I needed to enter the iTunes store. Ok, says I've authorised 4 out of 5 machines. Odd, I can only remember authorising this MBA and the MB :confused:

Huy
4th August 2008, 01:20 AM
Have you owned any other computer? Upgraded anything? (RAM, hard disk, system components, OS re/installations)
PC? Mac?
Any other iTunes installations that you can remember?

Make sure you deauthorize your computer before you upgrade your RAM, hard disk or other system components, or reinstall Windows. If you do not deauthorize your computer before you upgrade these components, one computer may use multiple authorizations.

If you find you have reached 5 authorizations due to system upgrades, you can reset your authorization count by clicking Deauthorize All in the Account Information screen.

Note: You may only use this feature once per year. The Deauthorize All button will not appear if you have fewer than 5 authorized computers or if you have used this option within the last 12 months.
About iTunes Store authorization and deauthorization (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1420)

:)

Reubania
4th August 2008, 01:29 AM
I had upgraded the RAM on my MacBook pretty much after I bought it....does that count? I might as well deauthorise my MB before doing an "Erase and Install" installation. Might free it up (not that it really matters).

Huy
4th August 2008, 01:35 AM
If you've never touched iTunes, (i.e. unauthorized MacBook), then you can upgrade the RAM without using up an authorization.

But if you've played around with iTunes, had your MacBook for a while with stock RAM, then decided to upgrade the RAM after being authorized, then the MacBook 'may' use up two authorizations, rather than one.

It's something I don't even think about really - and I've had plenty of machines in 2008! (purchased 3 new Macs, sold 2). 5 is quite a lot but I guess they should really extend the limit to around 10 to cover an entire household with siblings, parents, etc who might have one or two Macs each.

mitty
4th August 2008, 11:37 AM
I was in a similar situation with authorisations. I had an old PC that I first had Itunes on. I basically cannbilised it and kept the case and HDD's but replaced everything else, using up two authorisations (one on the old, one on the new). I also had Itunes on another PC as well, and then I had it on my work PC, using up four authorisations. I still had one of the PC's and so logged onto it and deauthorised, and then deauthorised my work as well so now I'm down to 2. But it's good to know I can basically reset and start from scratch.

Reubania
4th August 2008, 05:50 PM
I read that link Huy posted - once you've reach 5 authorisations, it will give you the option of resetting the limit again. Might be the way go, since I have no idea where the other 2 authorisation went. LOL.

mitty
7th August 2008, 09:22 AM
I'm surprised that upgrading RAM uses an authorisation. That seems a bit draconian. i can understand upgrading a processor or even HDD (though a HDD even is a bit of a stretch) but I'm not sure how more RAM impacts on the copyright of downloaded music.