PDA

View Full Version : Lemon

Jivec
3rd August 2008, 07:14 PM
I want to get an iPhone but there seems to be so many issues. Everything from laggy keyboard and no sms alerts to overheating phones (wonders about safety issues regarding wireless radios), cracks and no network coverage.

Whats the chance you get a lemon iPhone ? or are all iPhone owners experiencing issues? or will all theses problems be fixed in a firmware update?

camel
3rd August 2008, 07:19 PM
mine is fine..

laggy contacts list is my only complaint, and issues with networks are not limited to iphone use...

meh.. just get one

Philly
3rd August 2008, 07:21 PM
2.0 was rushed...Happy? :(

Jivec
3rd August 2008, 07:21 PM
laggy contacts list is my only complaint
Out of interest how many apps have you installed? and how many contacts do you have

Jivec
3rd August 2008, 07:25 PM
If you stay official 9/10 you'll most likley be fine!
what do you do if you get the bad one in 10

Hamsmyth
3rd August 2008, 07:29 PM
I hope things like laggy contacts will be fixed with future software upgrades.

jppat
3rd August 2008, 07:44 PM
I think the contact list only lags when it is checking mobile me for an update... it only usually lags for 2 or 3 secs when i first open it and then it is fine.

themessup
3rd August 2008, 07:56 PM
It's the owners who fiddle with things, hack things and don't stick to the official software that gain more of a chance that their iphone will die.

If you stay official 9/10 you'll most likley be fine!

He was talking about official firmware issues.

Jivec, its 99% all stuff that can be fixed with one single update. Apple rushed 2.0 to get it out in time for the iPhone 3G. I'm sure the main problems will be fixed soon.

kogi
3rd August 2008, 07:58 PM
Actually, I find mine better after jailbreaking.

abure
3rd August 2008, 08:01 PM
if you get a bad one, wouldnt you just return it as a warranty claim?

i get keyboard lag, maybe once a week. to me its not a reason not to get one,

bengrubb
3rd August 2008, 08:03 PM
Out of interest how many apps have you installed? and how many contacts do you have

I have 70, and my contacts are 'laggy as'.

Philly
3rd August 2008, 08:04 PM
Happy?

Edge
3rd August 2008, 08:06 PM
It's the owners who fiddle with things, hack things and don't stick to the official software that gain more of a chance that their iphone will die.Bullshit.

Please stick to the facts.

jetsetkiwi
3rd August 2008, 08:09 PM
I would have to agree that 2.0 was rushed, im sure in the next update a few things will be fixed up.

spilla
3rd August 2008, 08:13 PM
I think the contact list only lags when it is checking mobile me for an update... it only usually lags for 2 or 3 secs when i first open it and then it is fine.

I don't use mobile me or sync my contacts with google, yet I still get about 5 seconds of lag when opening the contact list. :(

Jivec
3rd August 2008, 08:18 PM
(already answered)

themessup
3rd August 2008, 08:19 PM
Happy?

We were merely correcting you, no need to get upset.

antidote
3rd August 2008, 08:35 PM
very happy with mine.

only complain...like the others....a laggy contacts. but i noticed that if i use my contacts list via my phone icon, it is exceptionally fast.

no issue with network what so ever. better coverage but paying for it. :o
though it got better with the news that they are giving us more data!! horrah. :D

slhogan
3rd August 2008, 09:02 PM
only issue so far is the laggy Contact problem.

After playing around with it I've noticed it's only laggy the first time you go into it, after pulling back the first contact it's very responsive - same behavior when accessing Contacts via the Phone.

I must admit after reading all the issues being listed, I am fairly relieved to have got a good one - I'm hoping Apple will fix the lag issue.

iTy
3rd August 2008, 09:12 PM
I don't have MobileMe either and lag via Contacts app is shiite but ok when accessing it via phone icon as mentioned previously.

I'm happy with mine and the only complaints are:

When showing off apps to friends, it always decides to crash leaving me a little embarassed
Picking up calls via headset microphone does not work and neither does the music skip function when doing the 2 quick presses

Looking forward to 2.1

Shintaro
3rd August 2008, 10:05 PM
Shitty software happens.
On the original iPhone, 1.1.3 was a POS.

Unfortunately for the 3G owners, there's no older firmware to revert to.
Patience is the key, as is cycling the power :D

Jivec
8th August 2008, 09:43 AM
So has 2.0.1 gotten rid of issues such as sms, contact and keyboard lag.

Shintaro
8th August 2008, 03:29 PM
My original iPhone feels faster, less lag than it had on 2.0, as does the 3G iPhone I bought the wife.

But it's still not 100% IMHO.
It is worth upgrading too, however.

Erwin
8th August 2008, 03:39 PM
I want to get an iPhone but there seems to be so many issues. Everything from laggy keyboard and no sms alerts to overheating phones (wonders about safety issues regarding wireless radios), cracks and no network coverage.

Whats the chance you get a lemon iPhone ? or are all iPhone owners experiencing issues? or will all theses problems be fixed in a firmware update?

Hi - Either get an iPhone, or don't. Your questions are practically impossible to answer. How can anyone know what the change of getting a lemon iPhone is? Are all iPhone owners experiencing issues - well, different owners will have different issues with different things - all phones will have issues, nothing is perfect, no matter how mature the software or hardware. And how can anyone know if these problems will be fixed in a firmware update? Some will, some won't, some issues are intrinsic, some can be fixed using apps.

drewbles
8th August 2008, 03:43 PM
Shitty software happens.
On the original iPhone, 1.1.3 was a POS.

Unfortunately for the 3G owners, there's no older firmware to revert to.
Patience is the key, as is cycling the power :D

1.1.3 was a vast improvement over 1.0.2 and 1.1.1 as well. Most people I know didn't even bother upgrading to 1.1.3.

Overall, 1.1.4 was far more stable and user friendly than even 2.0.1. If it weren't for the 3G and GPS, i'd be on my old 1st gen with 1.1.4 still (oh and the app store of course). 1.1.4 rocked for stability :)

Shintaro
8th August 2008, 04:03 PM
1.1.3 was a vast improvement over 1.0.2 and 1.1.1 as well. Most people I know didn't even bother upgrading to 1.1.3.

Overall, 1.1.4 was far more stable and user friendly than even 2.0.1. If it weren't for the 3G and GPS, i'd be on my old 1st gen with 1.1.4 still (oh and the app store of course). 1.1.4 rocked for stability :)

I don't mind 2.0.1, though 1.1.4 was possibly the best on the original model.
However, I use Korean input on the iPhone, and it was a PITA doing so on the older firmwares,
too much screwing about to get it working, plus dodgy keyboard set up.

At least it's now native (keyboard & input) on the 2.0+ firmware.