PDA

View Full Version : All my App Store Apps have stopped working!

azenis
2nd August 2008, 11:27 PM
WTF!!

App store told me I had some updates so I installed them and now NONE of my apps, aside from the ones that came standard on the iPhone, will work!

When you tap on them they start to boot and after a few seconds it ditches you back to the home page.

Whats going on!

Before the IT Crowd ask, I have "tried switching it off and on again" I also just resynced my apps and that didnt help, so now I am in the process of getting iTunes to remove all the apps and then reinstall them... its soooo slooooowwwwww..... hope it fixes it!

Has anyone else had this happen?

RGSX12
2nd August 2008, 11:39 PM
Yep, happened to me too. The only fix for me was re-installation of all the apps.

azenis
2nd August 2008, 11:43 PM
Bugger.
I suspect something went wrong when I was doing the update, maybe an internet dropout or maybe I shouldnt have been playing with it while it was updating (I was moving my icons around, looks like i will have to do that all over again)

bartron
2nd August 2008, 11:44 PM
<snip...>
Before the IT Crowd ask, I have "tried switching it off and on again"
<snip...>

Has anyone else had this happen?

to the second question. Yes, I had this happen just this week.

I'm going to ask anyway....did you switch it off or did you re-boot it? I found that the issue is resolved if I re-boot.

azenis
2nd August 2008, 11:48 PM
What is the difference?
I held the top button down, then slid the slider along the top to turn it off, left it for a minute and started it back up again.

What other method is there?

RGSX12
2nd August 2008, 11:51 PM
What is the difference?
I held the top button down, then slid the slider along the top to turn it off, left it for a minute and started it back up again.

What other method is there?

You can hold down the home button and the top button for 10 seconds or so and it shuts it right off :thumbup:

bartron
2nd August 2008, 11:51 PM
Yup...that's a re-boot.

I ask out of habit (in my experience, 60-70% of people consider switching off the monitor = switching off the computer therefore there is the possibility that people consider turning off an iPhone screen = turning it off).

edit: I'll add that when this happened to me, I re-booted and started the app store app. It informed me that several apps had updated which I downloaded and all has been well ever since. Perhaps the application re-install is the ticket.

azenis
2nd August 2008, 11:54 PM
Oh OK... so what is that doing that the method I did dosent? As it goes through a shut down and boot up when you do that.

Does the Home/top button clear a cache out or something that a regular power down doesnt do?

azenis
2nd August 2008, 11:59 PM
O I set itunes to remove all apps and it finished but there are still a bunch there. They still dont open. I held the home button and top button for 10 secs and it shut down and i turned it back on and they still dont work!

this is crap :(

RGSX12
3rd August 2008, 12:01 AM
OK, I suggest you delete the apps via the iPhone (hold down on an icon and then press the 'X'). Then try again :(

azenis
3rd August 2008, 12:06 AM
yeah just did that... should have done it in the first place its far quicker. Synched the AIM app back on and that ran successfully, so now the rest are going back on, hopefully that will fix things. Thanks for the help :)

azenis
3rd August 2008, 07:43 PM
Everything was working today by they have just all stopped working again... Something is wrong here! Might do a restore when I get home. Seems every time I get my app icons organized something goes wrong and I have to reinstall the lot. Spewin.

dinoo
3rd August 2008, 08:16 PM
Why not just make a backup? Easier.

Optogamut
3rd August 2008, 08:27 PM
I'll my apps refuse to open atm, was working yesterday, nothing today.

Just checked for updates, and iTunes wants to update ALL my apps! Will see how that goes, otherwise might just go to the restore...

azenis
3rd August 2008, 08:34 PM
Why not just make a backup? Easier.

Because it has always screwed up before i have had a chance to do a backup! :(

Optogamut
3rd August 2008, 09:31 PM
OK, I updated the apps in iTunes, plugged in and synced, still no good. Then app store had an update (for 1password) I did that, all apps started working bar one (shopping list), deleted it and synced again, and seems to all be working now....
not sure what triggered this, but will post if it happens again.

msilsby
3rd August 2008, 09:39 PM
Quick - they are on to you . . . . .

head for the hills!

azenis
3rd August 2008, 09:41 PM
1password is on mine too. Maybe there is a bug in it?
Mine is syncing again from a clean instal now, lets see if it can last more than 24 hours this time without carking it....

james the 2nd
3rd August 2008, 09:45 PM
Had same issue with apps. Still not resolved.

I have deleted the apps from my itunes, the icons do not appear on the phone, yet when I go to the app store on the iphone it tells me that the app is 'installed' and as such I cant perform a reinstall.

EDIT: Hold Up. I just restart the iphone and they are all back.

Mohawk
3rd August 2008, 09:49 PM
mine just did the same thing. I was waiting to pick someone up, went to start an app, crashed... can't be stuffed doing anything about it right now, maybe at work tomorrow.

azenis
3rd August 2008, 09:57 PM
My sync just finished, and there was an error installing 1password.....

Mohawk
7th August 2008, 03:03 PM
Has anybody had any luck with this yet? Mine still wont work. Only two third party apps work on my iPhone at the moment, and they themselves are pointless, Knock on Wood and Wooo Button. Everything else still crashes 2 seconds after pressing the icon.

I don't want to restore my iPhone if it won't work...

Am I right in guessing that using my backup will mean that the same problem will come back with the rest of my files? or does it just backup things like app settings/saves, txt's, calls, etc?

azenis
7th August 2008, 03:17 PM
mine is ok now, i restored and resynced. i have never done a restore from backup...
try sticking 2.0.1 on and just sync the stuff back on

ZacG
7th August 2008, 07:40 PM
This has started to affect me too. Unsyncing apps and resyncing doesn't work. I may need to do yet another full install. Glee.

FailwhaleIsMyHero
7th August 2008, 08:15 PM
A restore always fixes this issue in my experience.

ZacG
7th August 2008, 08:22 PM
I think I've worked out what the problem is. My phone (and my computer) suddenly can't authorise itself as one of 5 machines for my content. Well, it authorises, and says it's successful in doing so, but trying to play my purchased music with that account doesn't work.

I have a second iTunes account which works fine, so it must be linked to that specific account. Any content (apps, music, etc) purchased under that account, which I transfer to my phone, do not work. Any apps purchased on the other account work just fine. Some other people having the problem say it started with 7.7.1, however I hadn't updated to that yet when my troubles started. Anyone else experiencing issues playing purchased music on their computer?

ZacG
7th August 2008, 10:07 PM
For those playing at home, this is looking more and more like a MobileMe problem, and not an iTunes/iPhone problem. It's just my @mac.com account that's broken here.

Mohawk
8th August 2008, 12:06 AM
I just tried doing a restore from my backup, but my app's are still crashing on start up.

I thought I had solved it for a second when I deleted, synced and then downloaded/synced a couple of my apps, they worked after that, but unfortunately it didn't work for any of the apps I actually use: Facebook, Shazam and Palringo.
Any new app I download and install like IceTV work perfectly so I'm guessing that I'll have to do a complete restore and start from scratch, which also just happens to be my last option. Although I might wait and see if IceTV starts showing the same problems tomorrow.

What a pain.

Edit: And what do you know, Now that app crashes instantly too.
Looks like I won't be getting much work done tomorrow...

Mohawk
8th August 2008, 09:25 AM
Just finished a complete restore, without using a backup. I only installed a couple of my Apps and it still doesn't work, not even for a second, instant crashes.

I'm at a loss with what to do now, does anybody have any suggestions?

m4dvillain
8th August 2008, 12:15 PM
powering off/on my phone seemed to fix it

Mohawk
8th August 2008, 12:25 PM
I had tried that, and unfortunately it did nothing, but I think I've managed to fix it though.
I removed all of the apps off my iPhone and downloaded them again from the App Store. Everything's working now, hopefully it will stay that way. Except it wont let me download my paid apps again, as Apple hates me.
I think my problem had something to do with the last iTunes update, as it's screwed with all of my paid apps, and has lost my credit on the store.

I'll have to send an email to Apple to restore my account.

ZacG
8th August 2008, 05:27 PM
Mohawk - does your music purchased with the same account work? It doesn't for me, on my computer or the iPhone. On the computer, I just get in a loop of authorisation (it asks me to authorise, I do, then I go to play it, and it asks me to authorise).

azenis
8th August 2008, 05:37 PM
did you go up to 2.0.1?
Do you have 1password on there by any chance?

Mohawk
8th August 2008, 10:15 PM
Mohawk - does your music purchased with the same account work? It doesn't for me, on my computer or the iPhone. On the computer, I just get in a loop of authorisation (it asks me to authorise, I do, then I go to play it, and it asks me to authorise).

Sorry, I wouldn't know, I don't buy music from the iTMS, I still buy CD's :p But my bet is that my problem wouldn't of been limited to just my Apps, and that if I did use the iTMS for most of my music, I'd be losing it right about now... I hope you're holding up strong.

I sent an email to Apple Support in regards to my credit and Paid Apps. I don't see myself getting a reply until sometime on Monday. I think I can survive without Super Monkey Ball until then (yes it finally converted me) I'd recommend that you contact Apple as well.

By the way, did all of your problems start when you updated iTunes? because that's when mine began.

nortonjg
8th August 2008, 11:20 PM
had the same problem today, doing a restore now, hope this fixes it. the restore has been going on for over an hour now, does it usually take this long?

nortonjg
8th August 2008, 11:38 PM
i restored it, seems like there is still a problem with opening the applications, i accidently click on restore again so i will have to see what happens

mallo
9th August 2008, 01:07 AM
interesting I've had the same issue with maps, would load for 2 sec then crash out, tried a reboot, then did a restore from a backup, still wouldn't work, I went through a process of elimination and found it was installing one of the free "light" apps that made not work, uninstalled that, problem fixed, reinstalled, problem back...

nortonjg
9th August 2008, 12:55 PM
I did a restore from backup and it working fine now

ZacG
10th August 2008, 09:48 AM
I basically went and redownloaded every app that didn't work. All is well now, I don't know if it was just one bad app.

Still no luck on that one album I bought in the same time period that won't work any more, oh well. I can wait for one album, and this gives me permission to download it illegally now.

Daamn yoou DRM!

azenis
22nd August 2008, 10:37 PM
Well this problem still happens with 2.0.2 as my iphone carked it on me again this evening. Was working fine this morning, made a blog post with the wordpress app and facebook update. Didnt touch phone all day and tonight when I went out I went to log into facebook and the app closed on me, and then nothing would open.... :( really not good. its an APPLE phone not a MICROSOFT phone!! Grrr :(

nickthompson
13th February 2009, 07:31 AM
I had the same problem (where it tries to load App Store apps and gives up after a couple of seconds). I removed one app only (iSteam - just because it was a free one and therefore dispensible) and reinstalled it. Now ALL my apps are working again, even though I only reinstalled one.

I did notice that when I went back on to App Store to find iSteam again it had forgotten my username. Normally it hangs on to that. Not sure if this is related.

I'll let you know if the fix turns out to be temporary.