PDA

View Full Version : Webcam on old iBook help!

Colin 2905
19th April 2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Apr 16 2005, 09:05 AM
Q2) Any USB 1.1 webcam can yes. Any USB2 web cam might be able to work, however it might not perform to the best qauilty.

OK, I'm a fish out of water here. (Blame Google - it lead me to this thread :lol: )

I'm trying to help a non-techo aunt (who is 1200km away, which makes things even trickier) who has recently got broadband and now wants to do videoconferencing over said connection.

She knows that she has a Mac notebook/laptop, but that's about all. I've only seen it once (ages ago, so it's an old model), and from memory it was a white/pearly-coloured thing. I don't recall it being clam-shaped, though, if that's of any help. When I asked her to look for model numbers, etc, she came up with M6497, which after a bit of googling, sounds like an iBook G3.

So the $64,000 question is, is that model up to videoconferencing, and what would be a suitable webcam, if so? The Mac link on the Logitech web site mentions Mac OS 8.6 to 9.2 as being required. How can she check to see what she's running now, and what can iBook G3's handle? Is there anything else that she could check for that would be of help?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. The closest thing to a Mac that I ever owned was an Amiga. :lol:

Thanks,

Colin

cosmichobo
19th April 2005, 12:42 PM
She can check what Operating System the ibook is running by looking at "About this Mac" under the Apple menu.

If she has a digital video camera already, she could use that via the Firewire port (if its a Firewire iBook).

I haven't used USB for cams... so not sure what else can tell you.

Colin 2905
20th April 2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by cosmichobo@Apr 19 2005, 12:42 PM
She can check what Operating System the ibook is running by looking at "About this Mac" under the Apple menu.

She hasn't looked yet, but she's reasonably sure that it's OS 9.1, or at least 9.something. It turns out that she already has a couple of webcams that she bought at the same time as she bought her Mac, about four years ago, in Hong Kong (she splits her time between Hong Kong and the Gold Coast). The webcams are "Kensington Video Cams" (I've never heard of them) and supposedly work with PC's and a range of Macs, from OS 8.6 onwards.

I&#39;m going up there for a week at the end of June, so if it hasn&#39;t been sorted out by then, I can see what I&#39;ll be doing. <_<

Colin