PDA

View Full Version : Third Party Wireless Gear

macmate
19th April 2005, 06:41 PM
Ok, so a client has a G3 PB 400mhz and he needs the following.

Wireless access point with 2 x usb ports. i know compex has made one but i don't think anyone in oz sells them.

he also needs a third part pcmcia wireless card for the PB. He is running os x. what brands have an apple compatible one?

i don't supose anyone has set up something similar and can help me out without too much trouble?

Ric

purana
19th April 2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by macmate@Apr 19 2005, 06:41 PM
Wireless access point with 2 x usb ports. i know compex has made one but i don't think anyone in oz sells them.

Access Point with USB ports? Never seen one... Only thing I seen with USB ports would have to be routers with 1 USB port for a printer (which acts as a print server). Oh and lets not forget Airport Express, thats the only other unit I've seen with them.

geektechnu
19th April 2005, 09:16 PM
What does he need 2 USB ports for? If it's for 2 computers it defeats the purpose of it being wireless.

On the other hand, if it's for another device (i.e. printers) there are other hardware arrangements to get these things connecting wirelessly.

As for 3rd party wireless PCMCIA cards, I'm not sure. I have a D-Link USB wireless adapter that works really well.

macmate
20th April 2005, 11:01 AM
2 usb ports for 2 usb printers. i know he could use usb print sharing but thats annoying esspeically when there are 5 laptops around and not all of them are always there. i know there are other options but sometime the client thinks he knows best (because his 'friend' told him so) and in those cases after trying to talk them out of it, it is easier to just sell them something they want.

iSlayer
20th April 2005, 11:03 AM
tell them they need 2 access points or basestations to get 2 usb.

and heres a list of mac compatible wireless pci and pcmcia cards
http://home.earthlink.net/~metaphyzx/Wireless.htm

Alessiman
20th April 2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by macmate@Apr 20 2005, 11:01 AM
2 usb ports for 2 usb printers. i know he could use usb print sharing but thats annoying esspeically when there are 5 laptops around and not all of them are always there. i know there are other options but sometime the client thinks he knows best (because his 'friend' told him so) and in those cases after trying to talk them out of it, it is easier to just sell them something they want.
Can you go Airport Express -> USB Hub -> Printers

Will that work? Or is that just to simple a solution it can't possibly work?

macmate
20th April 2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Alessiman@Apr 20 2005, 11:04 AM
Can you go Airport Express -> USB Hub -> Printers

Will that work? Or is that just to simple a solution it can't possibly work?
it works as far as the airport sees both printers, but the software only shares one.

its ok i have found a belkin wireless access point with 2 x usb. so those saying they didn't exist can now remember that they do. and its cheaper than the airport too.

JimWOz
20th April 2005, 01:54 PM
I retired my PBG3 333 Bronze about a year ago.
I was running an Avaya 802.11b gold card on it.
Avaya drivers still don't support OSX, only 9, so used both SourceForge Wireless Driver and IOExperts driver with 10.2.8 successfully. I couldn't get the Sourceforge driver to work with password encryption though, so switched to the IOExperts driver which supports 128 bit Airport password fine. IOExperts cost $US20, but runs for 30 mins in demo mode unregistered.

purana
20th April 2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by macmate@Apr 20 2005, 12:54 PM
its ok i have found a belkin wireless access point with 2 x usb. so those saying they didn't exist can now remember that they do. and its cheaper than the airport too.
Surprise surprise... its so popular that no one even knows about it. I'll keep it in mind, but I think I'd avoid usb printer sharing *shudder*

I need another laser printer.. sick of these inkjets drying out (especially since I don't use it so often).