PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding my website: Editing swf?

cosmichobo
1st August 2008, 01:31 PM
G'day,

A good few years ago I let a work-mate revamp my website for me as a project she was doing at Uni.

As well as moving my site out of old HTML 1, and into the age of css files etc, she/her team made swf "buttons", which are quite cool, but - how can I "edit" them? Is that feasible?

Home Page (http://members.optusnet.com.au/thecosmichobo)

The main gripe I have is the "Dr Who" should be "Doctor Who", but I'll also want to change/make new ones...

Is there a freebie utility (ie not CS3) for doing this?

cheers

cosmic

uncyherb
1st August 2008, 01:49 PM
What you're looking for is a flash decompiler.

Gordon Flash Decompiler (http://www.futurecandy.net/) is probably the best known. I think they have a demo version available, though I'm not sure of its limitations.

ppops
1st August 2008, 02:00 PM
Just use images for something like that. There's no point in having flash there.

A simple rollover will work...

AusMac
1st August 2008, 02:07 PM
^ yup rollover is all

cosmichobo
1st August 2008, 02:09 PM
Mmm, rollover. Cool.

I'll try the decompiler first, as I admit flash has kinda intrigued me for years...

Otherwise though, rollover. Sounds good. Just like... um... HyperTalk version would have been... mouse over? mouse on? :)

uncyherb
1st August 2008, 02:19 PM
Mmm, rollover. Cool.

I'll try the decompiler first, as I admit flash has kinda intrigued me for years...

Otherwise though, rollover. Sounds good. Just like... um... HyperTalk version would have been... mouse over? mouse on? :)

There are a couple of different methods for the rollover with images effect. The first (using onmouseover and so on) uses javascript. The second uses psuedo classes in css (a:link setting the background image and using text that remains unchanged other than perhaps for a colour and so on). The currently recommended version would be the second, as it should work for people with modern browsers who have javascript turned off and has the added bonus of allowing better accessibility for people with visual disabilities who might be using a screen reader to visit your site.

geektechnu
1st August 2008, 03:07 PM
If you use a decompiler, you will still need a copy of Flash CS3 (or an earlier version) to edit the file and re-compile/publish it.

+1 for CSS rollovers.

Using Flash for simple rollovers is crazy
- more/larger files
- limited editability
- less compatability

SyncMan
1st August 2008, 06:06 PM
If you need help let me know, I have Flash CS3.