PDA

View Full Version : PC to Mac read/write access conflict

koodoz
1st August 2008, 11:47 AM
I'm currently running XAMPP (0.3 build 19) on Mac OS X 10.5.4 (the server) and sharing files (located on an external HD (Format: Mac OS Extended Journaled)) between another Mac (10.4.11) and a PC (XP Service Pack 2).

My problem is, whenever a file is edited on the PC, the file permissions change from Read & Write to Read Only. So whenever a Mac user wants to edit the file later on, the permissions have to be changed back to Read & Write from the server computer.

Any ideas on why this is happening and how to fix it?

Currawong
1st August 2008, 11:24 PM
This question is a little confusing. What has running XAMPP got to do with editing files shared over a network? I presume you're just using regular Mac OS X file sharing to share to the PC?

Gio
2nd August 2008, 12:20 AM
EDIT: after reading the problem again.....xampp?? no help from me there.....

JimWOz
2nd August 2008, 09:17 AM
My problem is, whenever a file is edited on the PC, the file permissions change from Read & Write to Read Only. So whenever a Mac user wants to edit the file later on, the permissions have to be changed back to Read & Write from the server computer.

Any ideas on why this is happening and how to fix it?

Create a new group with all users of the files as members. You need to change permissions for the folder containing the file and the file to give the Group read and Write Access. The file is being written back with a new owner each time from the PC or other Mac on the network. On the Mac the default permissions for files and folders are to give group members read only access. Change the files group permissions to Read and write, and assign it to the new group. Saved files inherit the group of the enclosing folder, so changing the file and folder permissions will mean files saved inside it inherit the group write permission. So whilst the owner will bounce around depending on who last opened and edited the file, all group members will always be able to edit the file.

koodoz
2nd August 2008, 05:07 PM
Sorry to confuse with the reference to XAMPP. I thought this might have been helpful in the diagnosis of my problem.

@JimWOz: It seems you've clarified what my problem is. Do you now know how I can rectify it?