PDA

View Full Version : Virgin's iPhone Plans Announced!

lucid.motion
1st August 2008, 11:23 AM
Virgins iPhone Plans:

VirginMobile iPhone Plans (https://www.virginmobile.com.au/shop/iPhone.aspx)

what do you guys think?

http://lucidmotion.com/images/screen-capture.png

Other Plans:
http://lucidmotion.com/images/OtherPlans.png

http://lucidmotion.com/images/screen-capture-2.png
http://lucidmotion.com/images/screen-capture-3.png
http://lucidmotion.com/images/screen-capture-4.png
http://lucidmotion.com/images/screen-capture-5.png
http://lucidmotion.com/images/screen-capture-6.png
http://lucidmotion.com/images/screen-capture-7.png

DATA to addon to the other Caps:
http://lucidmotion.com/images/screen-capture-1.png

walexx
1st August 2008, 11:26 AM
I left Virgin to go to Optus. I guess I got caught up in the rush and hype. Now I wish I would have waited.

The caps are very generous especially the free V to V calls and text, not to mention free voicemail and the 1GB of data.

Good on Virgin for showing everyone else up.

grorr76
already discussed and debated in another thread......

Nathan
I think they've got me. The $70 plan looks great. The question is, should I go for the white 16gb, or wait god knows how long for a black? I guess if I'm going to put a case on it...

mac_man_luke
1st August 2008, 11:37 AM
surprising there is no cheaper plans

lucid.motion
1st August 2008, 11:40 AM
There appear to be cheaper plans available with no data, and there's no info about how much data is to add on that I can find quickly, though it's probably on the site somewhere.

cjuiz
1st August 2008, 11:51 AM
There appear to be cheaper plans available with no data, and there's no info about how much data is to add on that I can find quickly, though it's probably on the site somewhere.

Same as all other phones.

$5 for 50MB
$10 for 100MB
$15 for 1GB

macaholic
1st August 2008, 11:54 AM
This is all nice to have more choice, but its still the inferior Otpus Network:
"Your Virgin Mobile service is run by sophisticated technology linked to the Optus Network"

I'm glad that Hellstra have at least slightly cheaper (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/47/54909-telstra-announces-better-data-plans.html) data than at launch.
If only they could match: $15 for 1Gb.

cjuiz
1st August 2008, 11:56 AM
I imagine Three will announce iPhone plans soon too. Apple can't seriously not let the last remaining big operator carry the iPhone. Thats just damn cruel. It's not like 3 has said anything bad about the iPhone. Yeah I'm talking about you Tesltra!

decryption
1st August 2008, 11:57 AM
The only thing bothering me about Virgin is the reliability of their data - I've heard a lot of stories of their data service going AWOL when Optus's works fine.

Is there any truth to that or what?

dolbinau
1st August 2008, 11:59 AM
Good for those who want to spend $70+. But for those on the lower plans Optus is better for data when considering handset monthly costs.

cjuiz
1st August 2008, 12:01 PM
The only thing bothering me about Virgin is the reliability of their data - I've heard a lot of stories of their data service going AWOL when Optus's works fine.

Worst aspects of Virgin. Signal strength and coverage on GSM/GRPS and network congestion. Constantly found myself with only 1 to no bars or unable to make calls/failed calls.

Mind you, Optus' 3G coverage seems to be only slightly better. Though their GSM/GPRS coverage is excellent.

mitty
1st August 2008, 12:01 PM
^We've all heard those stories Decryption. Problem is, I dont' think there's enough people here with Virgin to let us know at the moment. no doubt that situation will change in the next few days.

Personally I'm more concerned about the patchy Optus 3g coverage with iphone when another handset with the same SIM has no problems. We need to make more noise about this problem.

drewbles
1st August 2008, 12:05 PM
Has anyone noticed the strangeness of the pricing? Look at the $70 plan...

http://www.icns.com.au/%7Edrew/virgin1.png

States that the 'phone cost' is $70/month and the 'plan cost' is $4/month.

http://www.icns.com.au/%7Edrew/virgin2.png

States that the minimum cost is $864 and you're paying off $36/month.

In theory, you could take your phone to Virgin and pay $4/month for the 1 gig and call cap that's listed on that page.

Methinks there's a big contradiction there that could easily be taken up with the ACCC/TIO :)

And, look at the $100 plan. $0 plan cost, $100 phone cost, same deal with the $36/month.

"Hello Virgin? I have an iphone and would like your $100 plan which you state is $0/month"

Tempting ;)

tanguero
1st August 2008, 12:08 PM
I nominate this thread title for the "best non-use of an apostrophe ever" award!

lucid.motion
1st August 2008, 12:14 PM
Same as all other phones.

$5 for 50MB
$10 for 100MB
$15 for 1GB

I don't think thats quite correct:

is more like it

cjuiz
1st August 2008, 12:26 PM
Whoops typeo...

AdamR
1st August 2008, 12:43 PM
Is it just me or is the $100 plan a bit of a rip-off. Same amount of calls as the $70 plan, but 5GB data. I would guess that less than one in a thousand iPhone users would exceed even 1GB a month. If you could do 2G for $85, the number who would exceed that is probably 1 in a million. (give or take an order of magnitude).

The big number for data makes them look good with no risk of customers getting even close. Its like the ruckus over lack of 'unlimited' data in Australia. If users don't go over a small amount, the claim of 'unlimited' is just marketing hype.

OziMac
1st August 2008, 01:01 PM
Since I can't merge threads from here, I'm simply going to post what I put up earlier this mroning from the other thread:

The Free to V $70 iPhone plan is the only specific plan they have for the iPhone ($520 call credit, $0 8GB / $4/month 16GB iPhone and 1GB Virginised data).

They're basically the regular Free to V caps over 24 months with a repayment on the handset based on a price of $744 for 8GB and $864 for 16GB.

On the $20 / $30/ $45 / $65 / $90 / $145 free to V caps, the hand set repayments are $24 / $27 / $10 / $0 etc for 8GB and $29 / $22 / $15 / $5 / $0 etc for 16GB.

So the total plan costs are:

8GB on 20: $44/month = $1056; 16GB on 20: $49/month = $1176;
8GB on 30: $47/month = $1128; 16GB on 30: $52/month = $1248;
8GB on 45: $55/month = $1320; 16GB on 45: $65/month = $1560;
8GB on 65: $65/month = $1560; 16GB on 65: $70/month = $1680;
8GB on iPhone 70: $70/month = $1680; 16GB on iPhone 70: $74/month = $1776;
8GB and 16GB on 90: $90/month = $2160;
8GB and 16GB on 145: $145/month = $3480;

Importantly, I think you have to pay extra for the data packs for all F2V plans other than the special iPhone 70 plan. And for what it's worth, the basic 8GB/$20 plan ($44 monthly payments) is more expensive than the equivalent Optus plan ($40 monthly repayments), doesn't have any data (Optus has 100MB), has marginally more favourable call costs (and only for that particular plan) and of course, network deprioritisation against Optus for calls and data.

So other than the iPhone 70 plan, I can't see how Virgin is really better value at all (unless all of your contacts are also on Virgin so you can actually make the most of Free to V) - and the iPhone 70 plan, arguably, is not really than much better in price than Optus' equivalent as it has less included calls (and less favourable call rates) and the 300MB extra data is probably not really that important given how difficult it is to really use up all that data anyway (especially given the difficulties getting data when Optus hoards its bandwidth for its own customers).

Jivec
1st August 2008, 01:53 PM
i wish they had 12 month contracts

mcargy08
1st August 2008, 02:15 PM
i ordered one 16GB white. I already had the black one with Optus

SilverJ
1st August 2008, 02:18 PM
They don't seem that different to my plan with Optus.
I'm still happy.

Nathan
1st August 2008, 03:39 PM
Well I just ordered mine as well. White 16gb on the $70 plan. yay! Hopefully they stick to their 3 business day delivery timeframe.

zacbookpro
1st August 2008, 04:28 PM
They don't seem that different to my plan with Optus.
I'm still happy.

hmm

3000 free v to v texts
2500 v to v minutes

vs.

20 minute calls optus to optus after 8pm...

1gb d/L

mcargy08
1st August 2008, 04:34 PM
and you can use the cap to call overseas.

Aladdin
1st August 2008, 10:15 PM
I don't think thats quite correct:

is more like it

Note - the excess usage cost is 1.5 cents per kilobyte!!!!!

That's $15 per MB. Ouch!

Joey1983
1st August 2008, 10:22 PM
they're some good plans.
but who the f#@k needs 5GB on a phone that cant be used as a modem!!!
What's the point?
The fact that the call credits are the same means that they're just cashing in on the fools that are paranoid of using too much data, but 5GB seriously???

kevinnugent
1st August 2008, 10:37 PM
they're some good plans.
What's the point?
The fact that the call credits are the same means that they're just cashing in on the fools that are paranoid of using too much data, but 5GB seriously???

The point is, you do not want to go over the limit. $15 per MB!

Joey1983
1st August 2008, 10:47 PM
Holy crap, sorry I missed that part.
How can they justify charging the same for 1mb that they do for 1gb?
I guess there's always a catch...

zacbookpro
1st August 2008, 11:24 PM
they're some good plans.
What's the point?

funnily enough the bloke I spoke to when ordering the phone was pretty convinced that the iPhone could chew up 5gb p/m easily. Righhhht.

Altho if anyone was reading on mactalk today, Nullriver released a teathering program for the iphone today but it got pulled from the store. I want that program...

markpalavra
2nd August 2008, 12:11 AM
They've already sold out of 16GB

fother
2nd August 2008, 10:30 AM
But they still have 8GB - just got mine :D

David Turnedge
2nd August 2008, 10:40 AM
Hellstra

I like it... I like it...

drewbles
2nd August 2008, 11:14 AM
I like it... I like it...

Tel$tra is better ;)

sleadley
2nd August 2008, 11:17 AM
Actually, I showed this to a good friend who was, like me, disgusted that we are getting ripped off by the Telcos like we are being ripped off by the Internet ISP's. In this information age we should have uncapped plans that are in the same cost areas as the ones above. If you look at the US this is what they get. The Internet is basically free access except for the monthly access fee. Here we get paltry limits and then get shaped, how 19th century!
The iPhone is basically designed with unlimited access in mind if it is to be a truly useful device. If at any time you can look at your phone, get email, surf the web check iTunes, find where you need to go ,look at you tube etc etc, you need to be able to do this without worrying whether you have exceeded your data limit.
There needs to be a REVOLUTION. The iPhone can lead the charge, and you, ladies and gentlemen, should be revolting. Calling for change and saying that certain telco practices are just plain sneaky and predatory. (what was it about releasing the iPhone plans the day before it went on sale, if that isn't dodgy then I don't know what is)
So, stand up and be counted complain to the telcos that this just is not good enough, if we want to be the clever country we need unlimited Internet access. We pay through the nose for what others get for free.
Viva La Revolution!!!!!
Simon L.

Nathan
2nd August 2008, 12:07 PM
Looks like they're completely sold out now.

NathR32
2nd August 2008, 07:48 PM
Major downside is a 24 month contract. At least Optus offers 12 month contracts for those that don't want to be locked in for 2 years.

babypoppop
3rd August 2008, 03:11 AM
Major downside is a 24 month contract. At least Optus offers 12 month contracts for those that don't want to be locked in for 2 years.

but, with virgin, u can terminate yr contract after 6 mths and only pay the remaining balances for the phone. if you leave before 6 mths, u pay a $250 exit fee. check out the fine prints if you don't believe me.

i'm on virgin n i'm happy because i upgrade my phone every 6mths for the past 2 yrs i'm with them.

bluedog242
3rd August 2008, 06:48 PM
Calculate actual running costs for all Australian iPhone plans from Optus, Vodafone, Virgin & Telstra (but who cares about Telstra plans),

You can do 20 seconds & you only have use your mouse Australian iPhone plans comparison calculator - (http://www.numbersinaflash.com/australian-iphone-plans-compar/)

TheWatchman
3rd August 2008, 06:57 PM
I prefer my optus plan to any of those virgin plans.

Renoman
3rd August 2008, 08:40 PM
Anyone rainchecked one with Virgin? May need its own thread...

I (very) foolishly dithered Friday morning, and missed on available 16G Blacks, so in for a 3-6 week wait... :(

Who knows when etc? Can we assume that the Optus stocktake will flow onto Virgin?

Carve
3rd August 2008, 10:25 PM
these plans seem okay

zacbookpro
3rd August 2008, 11:19 PM
Anyone rainchecked one with Virgin? May need its own thread...

I (very) foolishly dithered Friday morning, and missed on available 16G Blacks, so in for a 3-6 week wait... :(

Who knows when etc? Can we assume that the Optus stocktake will flow onto Virgin?

Don't beat yourself up too much about it - I called on thurdays afternoon (before official release) and there were no blacks in 16.

I'm pretty sure Optus and Virgin would be running as seperate companies. They can't share stock - it would be a logistical nightmare.

Gothikon
3rd August 2008, 11:27 PM
I've still got a first gen iPhone unlocked on the Virgin network with the 300MB for 10 AUD on top of my regular plan. I have to say, that particularly since the new iphones were released the edge network is utter crap. When it works it's fine but I was standing in Melbourne central the other day and had no net access and couldn't send txts either! Generally speaking I have a 50 / 50 chance of a data connection and about at 98% chance of it working for calls and txts. Despite that the cost is good and I'm going to give them a shot as I can get a new iPhone through them for about 10 AUD a month on top of what I normally pay. If the 3G network is just as bad I'll probably switch to optus.

twinturbo
4th August 2008, 12:00 AM
If the 3G network is just as bad I'll probably switch to optus.

Identical network, Virgin Mobile is a wholly owned subsidiary of Optus.

Beaner
4th August 2008, 08:38 AM
I've always wondered with this $15 per excess mb, if the Carrier's have actually worked out how much a user could go over.

I see an opportunity for an ACA story - kick of a download at full 3g speed on the iphone that runs 24 x7 for the whole month.

Based on doing 300 kilobytes per second that would work out to be an approx $11 million dollar phone bill.

It would be interesting seeing Virgin trying to get you to pay that. And would certainly be a ticket to 15 seconds of fame lol :D

Kodo
4th August 2008, 12:52 PM
I just rang the Pitt St mall Virgin store and they said they won't have any 16gb phones until next week .....maybe.

Maybe I could get an 8gb phone. I am only gonna put podcasts on it and leave music for the iTouch.

Nathan
5th August 2008, 10:41 PM
Has anyone received any confirmation from Virgin that their phone is on it's way?

My order went through on Friday, and I got confirmation of the order, with no follow up - so I've assumed it's all good and that it should arrive by tomorrow.

However, I was just looking at the Virgin website and I see this in one of the FAQs:
"If we need more info from you to complete your order (or if your order was declined), we'll be in contact via email. Otherwise the order will be dispatched as soon as possible, and you’ll get an email when the order physically leaves the warehouse."

I haven't received any second email saying the order has physically left the warehouse, which I would have thought it would have to have done today for me to get it within the 3 business day period they advertise on the site.

fother
6th August 2008, 08:43 AM
I ordered mine saturday morning, just got this 6.10am today (wednesday):

Your order ######### has been approved and it's already on the way to you! It should be in your hot little hands within the next few days.

Seems like they're running behind a bit - not surprising really

Renoman
6th August 2008, 08:57 AM
Not expecting mine for many weeks....:( (black 16G on backorder).

I also ordered a leatehr wallet thingy for it on Fleabay and they emailed me saying it would delayed a few days due to unexpected demand and did i want a refund :) I told them no hurry....

I would be interested to hear what, if anything, others who rainchecked one have heard about waiting times?

Scooterpig
6th August 2008, 09:15 AM
I rang Virgin on Monday, got through to talk in 2 mins so was happy about that, was told there is a 3 to 6 week backlog and if I wanted to go on the list.

That was for the 8gb models also, not just the 16gb.

So looks like they didn't get many at all.

Nathan
6th August 2008, 09:37 AM

I find that curious though. I ordered mine the previous day, but haven't got anything...

zacbookpro
6th August 2008, 11:40 AM
mine just arrived.

icant
6th August 2008, 11:50 AM
Apologies for reposting this here. (From http://forums.mactalk.com.au/47/52957-places-still-have-iphones-left-post-here-post601626.html#post601626)

Ordered iPhone 3G 8GB at 1.30am Tuesday August 5th from Virgin web site.

Arrived 8.23am Wednesday August 6th.

Contract $70 monthly

FYI.

(for wife, not me).

This was when the site said all models were out of stock.

This is for a new Virgin account. Will be porting from Savvytel.

fother
6th August 2008, 01:43 PM

Ok, update/correction.

Ordered mine saturday morning, got that email 6am today, and it was delivered about 9am today.

Receptionist here at work just didn't bother to tell me :rolleyes:

Nathan
6th August 2008, 01:57 PM
Ok, update/correction.

Ordered mine saturday morning, got that email 6am today, and it was delivered about 9am today.

Receptionist here at work just didn't bother to tell me :rolleyes:

Fother, which model did you order, and was it a phone or web order?

fother
6th August 2008, 02:08 PM
Fother, which model did you order, and was it a phone or web order?

8GB (black :p), ordered on the phone 10am saturday.

Problem - I'm an existing virgin customer, and the guy who sold it messed up - instead of an upgrade, he put it through as a new contract, so now I have 2 sims and 2 contracts. They're fixing it, but just a final speedbump before I get to use the iPhone...

macscaf
6th August 2008, 04:16 PM
Mines arrived here in the ACT too after ordering it on Saturday morning online.

Nathan
6th August 2008, 05:16 PM
What's with Saturday orders arriving? I still haven't received any word yet....

Nathan
6th August 2008, 05:51 PM
OK, I just called Virgin asking about my order.

Apparently the order is "pending" because they're out of stock. No matter that, when I placed the order, only the 16gb Black was out of stock (and thus, went for the 16gb White). They do not know when the next shipment will be coming in, but they're sure "I'll be first in line".

And despite this obvious delay, past their "1-3 business day" delivery, I haven't had any correspondence from them until I rang.

Seriously, are all the telco's trying to outdo each other as who can cock up the iPhone the most?

Nathan
7th August 2008, 12:58 PM
Fantastic... :rolleyes:

Thank you for your iPhone order. We're happy to let you know that your
order has been approved and is in the queue for dispatch. We're
expecting the next delivery of Apple iPhones in the next few weeks, and
as soon as we receive our next shipment, your order will be couriered
out to you.

We apologise for any inconvenience, but we'll be sure to stay in contact
and let you know when we've shipped your order.

fother
7th August 2008, 01:02 PM
Fantastic... :rolleyes:

Bugger.:thumbdn:

Nathan
7th August 2008, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely not thrilled. I specifically went with the white model because they were "available", and now I'm going to have to wait an indefinite number of weeks.

I sent them an email about things like placing the order when the website still listed availability, the lack of notification of any kind of delay, and that orders placed later than mine were being fulfilled, and they ignored them all for that quite stock reply.

fother
7th August 2008, 03:06 PM
I hope they reply.

Push them for 'goodwill' refunds.

They screwed my order up - instead of an upgrade, they sent me a new phone plus a new sim card - so a new phone number, and apparently expected me to be on two plans with two phones.

Multiple calls yesterday (with multiple promises of return calls that didn't come) left it at 7-14 days to fix.... so 2 weeks of paying for two plans, and only able to use the iPhone on a number no one knows and I don't want?! Anyway, today, with an 8th call (they actually called me this time), they say it's now fixed and working properly.

After expressing my disappointment (over and over), got them do waive $60 of the $70 I was meant to pay for leaving the old contract early - when I first spoke to them (and they had stock to sell) they offered $35... so after all the messing around I thought I'd push for more.... end up paying $10 to get out of a contract that had about 20 months left on it (and a handset) is good, pity it took them screwing me around to get there.

Of course, the test is then seeing what comes on the first bill....

As you said, the telcos seem to be competing to see who can cock it up the most

Scooterpig
7th August 2008, 03:28 PM
Can anyone comment on the service they are getting form Virgin 3G as am curious compared to Optus and am talking about reception, net use etc.

Thanks..:)

Aaron
7th August 2008, 03:34 PM
I've ordered a 8GB version online, hoping they have stock. When will they start the contract? I don't want to get a bill / pay for the plan while I don't have the phone.

kyte
7th August 2008, 03:45 PM

I abandoned Virgin some months ago, to go to Telstra, for EGSM. GSM on Virgin was woeful and I could never use it. fortunately I only bought a $5 pack for testing purposes. I expected that its 3G service would be better but apparently its not (read on Whirlpool, various threads). Its patchy at best and there does seem to be a correlation between where you live/work and how reliable it might be. There are some people who swear by it. I would, too, and I wouldnt hesitate to take on one of their plans, were it not for my previous experience. Colour me nervous.

Another thing worth noting is that Virgin throttle the top speed to 750.. if you are looking for superfast, thats not it.

Nathan
7th August 2008, 05:20 PM
Yeah, that's awful.

You'd have thought that when entering the new phone into the system, that it would flag some of the details as matching an existing account. And that is utterly rediculous to have a 7-14 day fix time, when surely it's just an administrative thing. If it can take as little as hours to port a number from another telco, how hard would it be to change their own records?

Hope you get your discount.

I hope they reply.

Push them for 'goodwill' refunds.

They screwed my order up - instead of an upgrade, they sent me a new phone plus a new sim card - so a new phone number, and apparently expected me to be on two plans with two phones.

Multiple calls yesterday (with multiple promises of return calls that didn't come) left it at 7-14 days to fix.... so 2 weeks of paying for two plans, and only able to use the iPhone on a number no one knows and I don't want?! Anyway, today, with an 8th call (they actually called me this time), they say it's now fixed and working properly.

After expressing my disappointment (over and over), got them do waive $60 of the $70 I was meant to pay for leaving the old contract early - when I first spoke to them (and they had stock to sell) they offered $35... so after all the messing around I thought I'd push for more.... end up paying $10 to get out of a contract that had about 20 months left on it (and a handset) is good, pity it took them screwing me around to get there.

Of course, the test is then seeing what comes on the first bill....

As you said, the telcos seem to be competing to see who can cock it up the most

Smokebelch
7th August 2008, 06:28 PM
When will they start the contract? I don't want to get a bill / pay for the plan while I don't have the phone.

The new contract starts straight away unfortunately... with or without the iphone. You're paying for the plan not the phone apparently.

My wife and I are waiting on a black 16gb each. Both of us have gone straight onto the $74 pm plan. My present phone has next to no battery life left and a crappy screen and her 3G phone is broken and the stand-in one she's using probably isn't even 3G. So we've both got a month to go through paying for $520 worth of calls and 1Gb of data that we have next to no use for.

Such is life.

Nathan
7th August 2008, 06:43 PM
Hang on, how can the contract start straight away? With Virgin, according to the FAQ, you activate the account online once you've received the phone.

Smokebelch
7th August 2008, 06:50 PM
I might have to give them a call to confirm. They told me that because I was starting a new plan with my existing Virgin account that it switched over to the new plan straight away. Though... we ordered our phones last friday and they said the new plan would kick in early this week. According to my online bill, it hasn't yet

Nathan
7th August 2008, 09:55 PM
Let us know how you go.

Aaron
8th August 2008, 08:02 AM
Let us know how you go.

Yeah - I would really like to find out if I'm getting billed for not having my phone :mad:
I've sent their sales team an email. hopefully I'll get a response today...

fother
8th August 2008, 08:14 AM
They told me on the phone it starts when you activate the new sim card (for a new account).

For an existing account, it's meant to be from when it's delivered (delivery is tracked)

Aaron
8th August 2008, 08:15 AM
They told me on the phone it starts when you activate the new sim card (for a new account).

For an existing account, it's meant to be from when it's delivered (delivery is tracked)

Sweet! - Very good news for me, thanks mate :)
Oh wait - I don't have my damn phone yet :mad:

Nathan
8th August 2008, 08:32 AM
Good news, I got sent an email at 3.30am (?) to say it's finally on it's way.

And glad to here confirmation of when the contract starts. Much better than Optus' rainchecks...

Renoman
8th August 2008, 08:34 AM
My current Virgin phone went dead on the friday i ordered a 16G Black with a new Cap plan - had to use a phonebox to find friends that night (very retro :p). But i came back on mysteriously later that nigth, so i called Virgin the next mornign to check what was going on.

Seems the phone going off was a mystery, but my current phone/plan stays alive until i receive and activate the iPhone. Whenever that is.. I have an iPhone shaped hole in my life....

I like Virgin though - less stuff ups and brain damage than (insert assorted expeltives) Telstra or Optus and generally good deals.

looobz
8th August 2008, 08:41 AM
Woohooo! I just got my confirmation email from virgin :) Saying

"We’re expecting the next delivery of Apple iPhones in the next few weeks, and as soon as we receive our next shipment, your order will be couriered out to you."

Couple of weeks....I guess it's better than waiting for a pre-paid optus... :)

Nathan
8th August 2008, 11:42 AM
Mine has arrived! woo!
My old number ported in a matter of minutes too.

I can't connect to any email servers yet though (mobileme or my seperate imap account), and no 3G access...

fother
8th August 2008, 12:21 PM
Mine has arrived! woo!
My old number ported in a matter of minutes too.

I can't connect to any email servers yet though (mobileme or my seperate imap account), and no 3G access...

Congrats man!

Smokebelch
9th August 2008, 09:48 AM
Let us know how you go.

Just checked my Virgin account online and yes I'm now on the $70pm 1Gb plan.... and no iphone in sight. Bugger.

I called them yesterday to confirm when the new plan started and came off the phone none the wiser (I struggle to get my point across with these offshore call centres) but now I know.

Gothikon
9th August 2008, 04:30 PM
I picked my 3G iPhone up from the virgin store in the Melbourne CBD the other day. I think I got lucky, just walked in and got an 8GB black on the spot.

Unfortunately it seems that the Virgin 3G network is just as awful as the edge one. Unless there are some magic settings I can play with I'll be paying out the cost of the phone and switching to Optus.

I really don't know what the problem is with their network... We had a treasure hunt around the CBD for work the other night and a few of us were using our iphones to take pictures and check out wikipedia. I think during about an hour of walking around the city I might have got one page to load. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I have no data access when I'm in the house (WiFi covers that off though) outside my house in Eaglemont I usually have a good signal, a few feet up the road and it's gone. Lucky to get it to work at all when I'm in my office in Richmond. I had 0 bars in Melbourne Central when I was waiting to go and see a movie.

It's so bad I think there must be something I'm doing wrong, I simply don't see how they could sell such a poor service. The guy in the shop said he has no issues using his...

NeoRicen
9th August 2008, 05:33 PM
Unfortunately it seems that the Virgin 3G network is just as awful as the edge one. Unless there are some magic settings I can play with I'll be paying out the cost of the phone and switching to Optus.
Um, the Virgin Network is the Optus network, switching won't help.

fompsweeva
9th August 2008, 06:48 PM
I've heard that Virgin have limited data access - it's restricted apparently.

mcargy08
9th August 2008, 09:23 PM
Any more experience about Virgin's data? Is it any good? I still have not received my iPhone but I do have iPhone on Optus and the 3G coverage here in Hobart is quite good I wonder how virgin will be.

fother
9th August 2008, 09:58 PM
Any more experience about Virgin's data? Is it any good? I still have not received my iPhone but I do have iPhone on Optus and the 3G coverage here in Hobart is quite good I wonder how virgin will be.

It's the same network, it'll be ... the same

Nathan
10th August 2008, 09:05 PM
After some initial trouble getting 3G to work on the day mine arrived, my 3G access has been pretty good. I get decent speeds - certainly better than the free wireless hotspots around town here (Internode). GPS has been spotty, but I gather than has nothing to do with your mobile network.

zacbookpro
11th August 2008, 12:12 AM
just to put people at ease:

got mine last wednesday on virgin. Been giving it a good work out. V to V is great.

In terms of network, I think it's myth. I haven't had one single call not go through. The reception problems I have had have been regardless of virgin.

Side by side with an optus iphone they are identical reception and data speeds.

zacbookpro
11th August 2008, 12:12 AM
BTW I see 1gb pm as more of a challenge than a limit.

led-zep
11th August 2008, 12:15 AM
hey guys with virgin im looking to get on the $70 cap with 1gb data. going for a 16gb, anyone know what the delays are? im in wollongong but i work in sydney so ill be going to a virgin mobile store personally. just couple of quick questions, when im on virgin.com.au and hit the iphone-> plans-> $70 cap and hit choose, if i sign up right there does that mean i am, if credit check is successful, signed up to a contract but with no iphone?

this has been asked but seeing as i am from the southcoast i was wondering how good virgins 3g network was, i know they with optus and the coverage map says i have coverage but how good is the network in regards to reception (im with vodafone now and its sketchy at best even at home), and the speed of using 3g for browsing?

thanks guys

Smokebelch
11th August 2008, 05:02 PM
Just received my black 16gb iphone!! So much for the end of August!!

Gotta go and open it.

To led-zep, my $70 plan started on Saturday. I ordered the phone on the 1st August and they said the plan would start as soon as they could process the application.

bstar
11th August 2008, 05:41 PM
Similar situation to me. I ordered mine Wed just gone (6th Aug) and there was a knock at the door 7:30am this morning!
My Plan also converted over on Saturday.

Just received my black 16gb iphone!! So much for the end of August!!

Gotta go and open it.

To led-zep, my $70 plan started on Saturday. I ordered the phone on the 1st August and they said the plan would start as soon as they could process the application.

mcargy08
11th August 2008, 06:32 PM
is the network good for virgin? I haven't received mine. Still waiting.

christhechris
11th August 2008, 09:51 PM
Yeah I ordered mine on 1st..so fingers crossed it comes this week...but gotta be patient

The two of you who got yours already, were you new or existing customers?

bstar
12th August 2008, 12:21 AM
Hey, yes I was already a Virgin customer. We have Virgin BB and two mobiles. It is too good with free calls from the home phone and now with the cap plan, free calls to the other mobile. BTW, writng this from the iPhone!

Yeah I ordered mine on 1st..so fingers crossed it comes this week...but gotta be patient

The two of you who got yours already, were you new or existing customers?

kickinit
30th October 2008, 08:33 PM
https://www.virginmobile.com.au/shop/p-396-apple-iphone-8gb-blk.aspx
if i get it on the $30 dollar cap is there any data included?

Smokebelch
30th October 2008, 08:50 PM
No.

But you can get data packs from $5

https://www.virginmobile.com.au/services/3g_services.html#4