PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G/Edge Tethering App on the App Store

walexx
1st August 2008, 11:22 AM
I just saw this on mac rumours. Dunno if its on the AUS app store, but yeah, with the new data packs from Virgin and 3 (on Monday) and their generous data allowances, this could be awesome.

Nullriver Introduces 3G/EDGE Tethering App for iPhone - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/31/nullriver-introduces-3g-edge-tethering-app-for-iphone/)

I just hope it works. Im not sure if there are any restrictions to our data usage here in Aus ie: tethering, but yeah if u got the data, this is a great way to use it when yr out on the road with your lappy.

m_242
1st August 2008, 11:28 AM
Nice pick-up. It is in the Aus store ($12.99). Awesome!
Can't see any problem using this with Aus carriers, since they allow tethering on other mobile phones.

walexx
1st August 2008, 11:36 AM
Now we just need someone to test it. Great app, but hmmm $12.99 is a bit much considering the prices of other Apps.

Mind u, if it works and is easy enough to use, its gonna be a huge seller.

Personally, I think Apple should have added the capability into the phone, but I guess phone companies like AT&T who have tethering issues had something to do with it. With that in mind, I think its pretty ballsy for Apple to include this on the App Store. Good on em though, hopefully it shows that they are not totally censoring Apps.

m_242
1st August 2008, 11:43 AM
Well I was going to be the guinea pig, but the app store is now saying that the item is no longer available. Hmmm

walexx
1st August 2008, 11:46 AM
Yeah macrumors just reported that too. Hmmmmm looks like censorship is alive and well and I was wrong :(.

jrad
1st August 2008, 11:47 AM
Dammit that was one of those apps that couldve been very useful..,

The Fluffy Duck
1st August 2008, 12:01 PM
ITs back up again

NORMANDY
1st August 2008, 12:03 PM
ITs back up again

got it... works a TREAT! HELL YEA!

m_242
1st August 2008, 12:06 PM
Does anyone know what effect tethering a 3G iphone has on download speed, vs a 3G wireless modem? I would assume (without any basis) that a wireless modem would be faster than a tethered 3g iphone. Thoughts?

NORMANDY
1st August 2008, 12:08 PM
Does anyone know what effect tethering a 3G iphone has on download speed, vs a 3G wireless modem? I would assume (without any basis) that a wireless modem would be faster than a tethered 3g iphone. Thoughts?

its slow, about 1.1 mbs a sec, but thats fine really, its not as fast as a 3G modem it seems...

spuds_imac
1st August 2008, 12:11 PM
Anyone tried this program yet?? looks good if it works

Exocet
1st August 2008, 12:20 PM
its slow, about 1.1 mbs a sec, but thats fine really, its not as fast as a 3G modem it seems...

This is actually within acceptable speeds for 3.6mbps rated devices. 500kbps - 1.5mbps is your expected day-to-day speed. I don't see any difference between a thethered phone and a usb modem.

OziMac
1st August 2008, 12:24 PM
Just for clarity, could those of you testing it now let us know who your service provider is too, and if possible, how many bars you have?

Also, any idea if the iPhone's usage meter records the data being used while it is tethered?

This is great stuff. :)

mallo
1st August 2008, 12:42 PM
I just got the error "the item you've requested is not available"

When trying to buy from my iPhone using the US store.

hmm.

OziMac
1st August 2008, 12:57 PM
I can't seem to get it from the AU store either.

Then again, I don't have any 3G at the moment, but it did give me the same error message as mallo.

mallo
1st August 2008, 12:58 PM
tried to get it on the AUS store also says its not available.

What the hell apple!

Kuma
1st August 2008, 01:07 PM
tried to get it on the AUS store also says its not available.

What the hell apple!

censorship?

what the hell apple!

hang on!! tethering was not enabled for a reason.. (whatever fucking reason it was - I want the ability too). But it was not enabled...

so dont be expecting apple to come on board and say ahh yeah.. no problem here is an app to let you tether.... Im surprised it even got listed.

what will be interesting is to see where it goes from here.

Erwin
1st August 2008, 01:46 PM
Darn, I missed it!!!

Cybix
1st August 2008, 01:58 PM
Want App

m_242
1st August 2008, 02:21 PM
The plot thickens further...now the Netshare app is not even showing up on a search in the Aus store...

macropneuma
1st August 2008, 02:27 PM
Does this direct URL work?
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=286541579&mt=8

I still have the page in iTunes AU open from earlier today, and "BUY APP" still processes as far as the go through-with-it or cancel popup.

But if i try to refresh that page in iTunes a popup comes up:
"Your request could not be completed
The item you've requested is not currently available in the Australian store."

If only i could find out the URL for the "BUY APP" button, but this isn't readily available.

mitty
1st August 2008, 02:31 PM
Surely it would never have got onto the appstore in the first place if it wasn't going to be allowed?

motef
1st August 2008, 02:42 PM
I was going to buy a 1Gb Optus wireless broadband package for $19.95 per month for 24months and then i saw this and i thought SWEEEEEEEET!

No need to buy the OWB, i mean i just dont need a 3g modem if my iPhone can be a 3g modem and then ..... WTF!

Please bring it back!

Cheers, motef

wolfie
1st August 2008, 03:02 PM
Has anyone gone through the optus iPhone plan terms and conditions and see anything regarding tethering?

OziMac
1st August 2008, 03:12 PM
The problem for those who have already downloaded it (as we discovered with Aurora Feint) is that the next time you sync, iTunes will delete it :thumbdn:

Unless they allow it back in some form.. grr.

Kuma
1st August 2008, 05:59 PM
apple are sly dogs aren't they.

"Nothing goes on the iPhone that we don't approve - even if that approval is late!"

Dust For Eyes
1st August 2008, 06:05 PM
I do wonder how on earth this got through the apple approval process to make it to the app store in the first place.

They do check out the apps before approval, right? Right?

Kensei
1st August 2008, 06:26 PM
apple are sly dogs aren't they.

"Nothing goes on the iPhone that we don't approve - even if that approval is late!"

haha. Yeah but then Apple ok'ed those 7-8 gas mileage apps? And all those free games that are causing system freezes and reboots?

I think any notion of quality control on the app store is a fallacy really. But I agree with you its a control thing :D

motef
1st August 2008, 07:16 PM
Interesting reply from this apps developers on macrumours

motef
2nd August 2008, 07:50 AM
Its back and available again!

Here is the iTunes link https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/tellAFriend?id=286541579&type=14

I just purchased it successfully.

Cheers, motef

james the 2nd
2nd August 2008, 08:10 AM
Just bought.

I used the link through this wired page:
IPhone Modem App Is Still Available -- Here's the Link | Gadget Lab from Wired.com (http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/08/iphone-tetherin.html)

spuds_imac
2nd August 2008, 08:31 AM
does it work ok......does it run at 3G speeds??

james the 2nd
2nd August 2008, 08:32 AM
I wont be able to give it a go till later today.. I'm on a first gen iphone.

DaveOZ
2nd August 2008, 08:35 AM
Working brilliantly for me with my MacBook Air. Getting close to 1mbit speeds.

spuds_imac
2nd August 2008, 08:38 AM
Working brilliantly for me with my MacBook Air. Getting close to 1mbit speeds.

Thanks DaveOZ will give it a go.

DaveOZ
2nd August 2008, 08:55 AM
Easily getting over 100KB/sec on Youtube.

My tip is set the iPhone auto turn off to Never. I am using it now and testing battery life. Glad I have a 1gb datapack.

Erwin
2nd August 2008, 08:55 AM
I just bought it too. Will test it out later.

wolfie
2nd August 2008, 08:58 AM
does optus terms and
Conditions mention anything about tethering on iPhone?

bunkey
2nd August 2008, 09:00 AM
Can you use this program on a PC? I see ther instructions for it are just for a Mac.

spuds_imac
2nd August 2008, 09:04 AM
Can you use this program on a PC? I see ther instructions for it are just for a Mac.

Windows configuration instructions are forthcoming in the next update.

DaveOZ
2nd August 2008, 09:05 AM
There is no way for your carrier to know you are tethered. All it does is pass the connection to your computer.

Not sure about PCs. Very easy on a Mac.

TheWatchman
2nd August 2008, 09:14 AM
Ooo this is so tempting, I really do need a way to use up the extra 350mb I'm going to have each month :P

DaveOZ
2nd August 2008, 09:14 AM
OK some minor issues after brief testing.

1. As soon as you exit the NetShare program on your iPhone then connection is lost. It returns when you re-start NetShare.
2. No connect to Mail, only Safari.
3. Must have iPhone set to stay powered or connection will be lost.

So, useful for those times when you need access but not as good as a USB 3G modem. Mind you, you can always plug your phone into the USB port to power it.

Erwin
2nd August 2008, 09:25 AM
Mind you, you can always plug your phone into the USB port to power it.

I was hoping it would be a USB connection, not wifi.

motef
2nd August 2008, 09:33 AM

Posted from user UltimateFighter on MacRumours

Windows Xp Directions
Video walkthrough is here: YouTube - Netshare for IPHONE on Windows XP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyXzL4hmF7c)

===================
Written walkthrough
===================

First off,you need to download Proxifier from proxifier.com

Here ya go:

1) Setup a new network on windows(call it netshare)

a. To do this you need to go into your network connections and right click on your wireless connection. Then click the wireless networks tab. Click add. Name your network whatever. I call mine "netshare." Set net authentication to open and data encryption to disabled. click the box on the bottom that says "this is a computer to computer ad-hoc network"

2) Connect to the ad-hoc network by disconnecting all other connections.

3) Go to the wifi networks on your iphone and select netshare. Set the IP address to 192.168.10.1 and the subnet to 255.255.255.0. Use Static

4) Go to the TCP/IP settings and set your computer's IP.
a. To do this you need to right click on your wireless connection and click properties.
b. left click on Internet Protocol TCP/IP and select properties.
c. select the use the following ip address box
d. set your ip to 192.168.10.2
e. set your subnet to 255.255.255.0
f. select ok

5) Run the proxifier program

6) click the proxy settings button on the tool bar

7) Click Add then enter 192.168.10.1 in the address and set the port to 1080. select Socks ver 5 and click ok

8) Open netshare on your iphone

9) test your connection using the proxy checker

10) Netshare should show your connections at 1 and the data rates

11) Open your browser and you should have internet access through your phone.

m_242
2nd August 2008, 12:01 PM
This is freaking awesome.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/303795876.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

More than acceptable for occasional tethered use when there is no access to wifi. Are others getting more or less similar speeds?

Vman83
2nd August 2008, 12:15 PM
I must be a Idiot, I cant figure out how to configure my MackBook Pro to my Iphone 3G, is any one else have trouble?

m_242
2nd August 2008, 12:26 PM
I must be a Idiot, I cant figure out how to configure my MackBook Pro to my Iphone 3G, is any one else have trouble?

Try this guide (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/08/01/ten_step_guide_to_sharing_your_iphones_connection_ with_netshare.html) from appleinsider.

EmJay
2nd August 2008, 01:08 PM
Can anyone else seem to purchase from the iTunes AU store? I get as far as clicking 'buy now', but then it says the App has changed status since I've been using the store.

DaveOZ
2nd August 2008, 01:38 PM
Are others getting more or less similar speeds?

Pretty much the same figures here on Telstra in Bowral. Very happy with the speed and usability.

pharmy
2nd August 2008, 01:39 PM
Can anyone else seem to purchase from the iTunes AU store? I get as far as clicking 'buy now', but then it says the App has changed status since I've been using the store.

I had the same problem. I hope its not gone again :(

boztek
2nd August 2008, 02:20 PM
It's gone.

Looks like I missed it again - by about an hour or two.

Not.
Happy.

motef
2nd August 2008, 02:29 PM
I got if this morning. Has anyone who got it had it dissapear?

m_242
2nd August 2008, 02:40 PM
I got it this morning and have just synced my iphone, it didn't disappear; it is still on the phone and working.
BTW, I have made up a babysteps guide (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/53/55054-babysteps-guide-tethering-your-mac-your-iphone-using-netshare.html) for anyone wanting to tether using Netshare but confused by how to go about it.

bunkey
2nd August 2008, 03:04 PM
Fuckers... looks like they've taken it down again. DAMN.

fompsweeva
2nd August 2008, 04:00 PM
Hmm. Wonder what the big deal is. What a pain.

The Fluffy Duck
2nd August 2008, 04:17 PM
I wish I had more credit :(

Beau
2nd August 2008, 04:56 PM
They've taken it down :-(

motef
2nd August 2008, 08:12 PM
this app is like the loch ness monster!

wolfie
3rd August 2008, 09:46 AM
is it possible to copy the application and send it to someone by email and then the other user just drags it into their itunes? I really want this app and willing to pay 15 bucks to whoever has it, so I too can get a copy.

DaveOZ
3rd August 2008, 10:18 AM
Yes you can do that but you have have to add their iTunes account to you authorized list and each account only has 5 computers.

solosolo
5th September 2008, 06:19 PM
Netshare app is back up but only in the USA... Anyone have any idea how to get it without a USA itunes account?

Keving
5th September 2008, 06:52 PM
Netshare app is back up but only in the USA... Anyone have any idea how to get it without a USA itunes account?

I just checked.. it's not.

evmorg
5th September 2008, 06:58 PM
I suspect that's why I couldn't find it, then. :rolleyes:

solosolo
6th September 2008, 10:47 AM
On Nullriver website says it is. The search has changed on the OZ site from nothing found to something like this app not offered on OZ store. Strange

TXBDan
8th September 2008, 11:27 AM
hrmm I have a US itunes account and i can't find Netshare anywhere. If i search Nullriver, only the radio comes up.

Sebastianmonty
21st November 2008, 12:50 PM
Are there any current applications that will allow tethering?

mitty
21st November 2008, 12:54 PM
^ just jailbreak your phone and use PDAnet. Works a charm.

tkilik11
21st November 2008, 01:10 PM
does it work is the question!

Sebastianmonty
21st November 2008, 02:15 PM
Any other non jalibreaking solutions. I just read the thread on jailbroken and many people say its worse because of freezes etc.

bigmouth
28th December 2008, 12:27 PM
I want to get Back To My Mac working with a tethering program (I've tried iPhone Modem, but it won't connect), and PDANet doesn't see BTMM as a net connection on Mobile Me.

laughingbird
28th December 2008, 09:12 PM
I want to get Back To My Mac working with a tethering program (I've tried iPhone Modem, but it won't connect), and PDANet doesn't see BTMM as a net connection on Mobile Me.

I've just used iPhone Modem (http://www.iphonemodem.com/) for the first time today, and it is working for me. Once both the computer app and the iPhone app are installed it is super simple. However, I did have trouble getting it to connect at first, but after rebooting both the laptop and the iPhone it is working perfectly.

bigmouth
28th December 2008, 09:53 PM
I've just used iPhone Modem (http://www.iphonemodem.com/) for the first time today, and it is working for me. Once both the computer app and the iPhone app are installed it is super simple. However, I did have trouble getting it to connect at first, but after rebooting both the laptop and the iPhone it is working perfectly.

Hmmm - i might have to do that too - it might be a good alternative to PDANet (not free), and I don't want to fart-arse around with proxies, etc...just something with a nice front-end and easy !
Will let you know.