PDA

View Full Version : Why I didn't buy the iphone: be warned not for sensitive iphone lovers LOL

iphonecritic
31st July 2008, 01:52 PM
I was very excited to buy the iphone until i had used it, before making a purchase.

To be honest i was very disappointed :( it only had a 2mega pixel camera and what frustrated me the most there was no stylus! you had to use your finger all the time.

Only reason i liked the iphone was because of its user interface... and since my nokia died ( water damage) i was in need of a new phone.. however i didnt end up purchasing the iphone.

I bought the LG VIEWTY! it has a 5 mega pixel camera, smaller then the iphone big large bright screen , divx, has external storage capabilities, has flash software capabilities and comes with a stylus!

Now i did love the iphone user interface so i installed a flash theme so i can have the lovely interface looking professional and neat! in the end i got a better camera, able to watch excellent quality videos and video clips with clear sound. & excellent reception.

check it out this is an example of an lg viewty that looks just like the iphones interface.
there are more versions of this theme that look spectacular

YouTube - lg viewty into iphone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9pt1jnZj8I&feature=related)

YouTube - LG ku990 Viewty - iphone Theme v3.0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3X_Zj8oPTQ&feature=related)

so before you make a hasty decision that costs around $800 outright and $1000 and more over the lifetime of a plan...
have a look at the this phone... its touchscreen has a better camera and you can get an interface thats just the same only for around $429 thats how much i paid! considering i was going to spend $800 on an 8gig... roughly :eek:

Erwin
31st July 2008, 02:01 PM
And you felt the need to tell the world this... :) In an iPhone forum... mmm...

iphonecritic
31st July 2008, 02:02 PM
:) yuppp

forgie
31st July 2008, 02:03 PM
Why did you bother going to that much effort to post on an Australian Mac users forum?

I won't even bother following up on any of those points...

reemixx
31st July 2008, 02:04 PM
Well I'm glad you're happy. But you honestly don't think you'll be convincing anyone to buy it over an iPhone do you? On a Mac forum? Hmm.

Seems to be like you're hating on the iPhone for all the wrong reasons. Or just blatantly advertising the Viewty. But whatever, dude, to each their own.

macaholic
31st July 2008, 02:05 PM
You forgot to add the iPhone has a dumbed-down bluetooth.

xpv43
31st July 2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah, good on you, iphonecritic. I decided to buy the iPhone because I don't want to carry around a stylus. I don't use my phone for taking photos.And it isn't really just another phone. The App store makes it a hell of a lot more than that. And that's just what I can think of right now...
But enjoy your Viewty. Sounds like you're really happy with your purchase. Maybe you should find a Viewty forum to discuss it some more.

macaholic
31st July 2008, 02:07 PM
DISCLAIMER: I work for LG, or a marketing firm associated with LG.

fixed that for you.

LOL. :)

Huy
31st July 2008, 02:08 PM
You want a stylus?
You'll lose a stylus before you lose a finger.

Flash is coming to the iPhone.

How much storage is inside the LG Viewty? I bet it isn't 8GB or 16GB.

Sounds to me like your only gripe was the 2MP camera. It takes fine photos, in my opinion. It's not the best, but they are suitable for emails.

ghettro
31st July 2008, 02:09 PM
lol with a username of iphonecritic you can be sure that you'll be objective and balanced :)

iphonecritic
31st July 2008, 02:10 PM
lollll at euphospug
"DISCLAIMER: I work for LG, or a marketing firm associated with LG."

i don't work for lg.. im just a normal customer.. that felt like telling people a different opinion."

but thats cool you guys are enjoying your iphone's ..

cheerio's

oh p.s this post seems to have striked alot of nerves... hmmm sorry

iphonecritic
31st July 2008, 02:12 PM
Truth Hurts The Iphone Sucks Loll!!!!

:-p

m_242
31st July 2008, 02:13 PM
Just shows how worried the competition is, and how bereft of good counterpoints. No stylus! I mean really, how 1995.

Huy
31st July 2008, 02:14 PM
Apple iPhone 3G

+GSM 850
+HSDPA 850, 1900
+Thinner
+16 million colours
+3.5 inch screen, higher resolution
+Multi-Touch
+Accelerometer
+Promity sensor
+Ambient light sensor
+Unlimited phonebook entries and fields
+100 call history (received, dialed, missed)
+8GB or 16GB memory
+Wireless 802.11b/g
+Bluetooth 2.0
+Safari web browser
+GPS
+Google Maps
+Photo browser
+TV output
+iPod
+10 hours talk time

Viewty has none or a smaller subset of the above. Correct me if any of it is wrong. (And of course, there are -ves too but hey, I'm doing a straight "why I would buy the iPhone over the Viewty" angle here, spec for spec. :)

euphospug
31st July 2008, 02:16 PM
if only it wasn't YOUR FIRST POST.

also with a name like iphonecritic and links to LG promotional material - seems like shilling, spamming, or attempted "peer-marketting"

fail

iphonecritic
31st July 2008, 02:16 PM
its funny you say that m_242 one of my friends was looking for a stylus for her iphone! and she didn't realise that it doesnt recognise it LOLLL
she regrets her purchase... so i guess this post is to make people aware..

cos i do know many had purchase the phone without even looking at it .. and some are disappointed.. thats ALLL take a chill pill

its good u guys love ur iphones.. but be realisitc.. try to hear out other peoples opinions...
hopefully apple introduces the next iphone with a better camera!! at a comparable price :?

... ...

m_242
31st July 2008, 02:17 PM
Exactly Huy. What about for this the lg:

+Stylus
+Can make it look like an iphone with optional extra theme

macuzer
31st July 2008, 02:19 PM
Nice looking theme..... why do they all want to look like the iPhone I wonder?:rolleyes:

iphonecritic
31st July 2008, 02:23 PM
cool .. hey do tell me what made you guys buy an iphone ... think about it was it seriously because you wanted to just have one...
good specs but most of it is just sotware & apps. :)

euphospug
31st July 2008, 02:25 PM
why did we buy them...

erm... good specs, software and apps.

iphonecritic
31st July 2008, 02:26 PM
llike i said macuzer.. i like the iphone's interface its awesome!! however why i didn't purchase one was simply due to its high price and lack of features.. esp the camera & stylus.. just my opinionn no hard feelings!

Ecto1
31st July 2008, 02:27 PM
I got an iphone coz i wanted one, ever since the 1st gen iphone.

Phormic
No stylus?

A bit like not buying a car because there's no horse.

Huy
What don't you like about the lack of stylus, though?

Give the iPhone keyboard a try, really! :)

iphonecritic
yeh i do agree it looks sleek and lovely infact i would have bought it.. however the 2 that i mentioned disappointed me.
but yeh i agree it does take good pictures on a 2 mega pixel camera.. ive seen it myself..

however why does apple charge so much to buy the thing

cowzy
31st July 2008, 02:28 PM
hey do tell me what made you guys buy an iphone ... think about it was it seriously because you wanted to just have one...

yep sure did, u hit the nail on the head,
well done.

Exocet
31st July 2008, 02:28 PM
A stylus is a step back, not a step forward. You make the point that "most of it is just software and apps"

This is the main reason many people have bought an iPhone - because of the phone's software, and the apps available. No matter what shape you make the icons on the home-screen, a Viewty still runs LG software...and that's not good.

annirowe
31st July 2008, 02:29 PM
I was very excited to buy the iphone until i had used it, before making a purchase.

To be honest i was very disappointed :( it only had a 2mega pixel camera and what frustrated me the most there was no stylus! you had to use your finger all the time.

Only reason i liked the iphone was because of its user interface... and since my nokia died ( water damage) i was in need of a new phone.. however i didnt end up purchasing the iphone.

I bought the LG VIEWTY! it has a 5 mega pixel camera, smaller then the iphone big large bright screen , divx, has external storage capabilities, has flash software capabilities and comes with a stylus!

Now i did love the iphone user interface so i installed a flash theme so i can have the lovely interface looking professional and neat! in the end i got a better camera, able to watch excellent quality videos and video clips with clear sound. & excellent reception.

check it out this is an example of an lg viewty that looks just like the iphones interface.

YouTube - lg viewty into iphone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9pt1jnZj8I&feature=related)

YouTube - LG ku990 Viewty - iphone Theme v3.0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3X_Zj8oPTQ&feature=related)

so before you make a hasty decision that costs around $800 outright and $1000 and more over the lifetime of a plan...
have a look at the this phone... its touchscreen has a better camera and you can get an interface thats just the same only for around $429 thats how much i paid! considering i was going to spend $800 on an 8gig... roughly :eek:

TRANSLATED........

I stuffed up, slept in, missed my spot in the line, and am now trying to find ways of making me feel better!

You enjoy the LG. ;)

NathR32
31st July 2008, 02:30 PM
I've used both and the iPhone craps all over the Viewty. LG user interfaces are among the worst I have used. Oh and the build quality and reliability are worse than Apples' too.

Peter Wells
31st July 2008, 02:32 PM
Please don't use LOL as punctuation.

cmrn
31st July 2008, 02:33 PM
cos i do know many had purchase the phone without even looking at it .. and some are disappointed.. thats ALLL take a chill pill

The only person here who has a broken Shift key, and is criticising other people for the choice they make is you.

The fact that the iPhone does not have a stylus is a selling point, at least to me. I don't mind you purchasing a different phone, however you will not see an iPhone owner on an LG forums saying: "teh lg suks its batery gos flat al the time and teh stilus is to esey to loose"

I feel sorry for in that the best use of your time was to register on a forum to use incorrect logic (and spelling + grammar) to try and promote the phone you purchased.
On the other hand if this is your day job at LG, then I suppose you are just doing what you are told, however your bosses will be more impressed if you use proper grammar and logical sentences.

dotComrade
31st July 2008, 02:34 PM
however why does apple charge so much to buy the thing

Mobile phones have always been expensive. Hell, even before "Smart Phones" You could expect to pay over $900 for a new phone (when purchased on pre-paid or outright)

Huy
31st July 2008, 02:36 PM
I personally think the 8GB iPhone (or 16) is "cheap" compared to current offerings from other manufacturers, at outright pricing.

I am talking about the high-end "smart phones" and their RRP compared to what Apple (Optus, Vodafone, Telstra) charge for outright/prepaid purchases.

Sub $750 (approx)? Bargain for what you're getting.

reemixx
31st July 2008, 02:37 PM
Apple are world leaders in user interface design. They consider the user experience to be their number one priority, and it shows in every product they have created.

But I guess this just goes over the heads of some people, who really don't know what they're missing until they've given a product a good go. Ignorance is bliss, as they say.

And I honestly don't know how someone could start an iPhone bashing/LG advertising thread in a Mac community forum and expect to get away with their ignorant comments.

If you're happy with your Viewty, then good for you, congratulations, all the best. But please don't tell others to "try to hear out other peoples opinions" when you're obviously not hearing out anyone elses yourself.

cmrn
31st July 2008, 02:37 PM
Your argument of the price of the iPhone is ridiculous. the Veiwty costs $749.00 RRP, and you said yourself that the iPhone 8Gb is $800

Kensei
31st July 2008, 02:41 PM
Hehe well discounting the call plan I am on (I was paying that amount anyway) I paid $288 for my iphone so no complaints here.

I come from a long history of using palm and windows mobile devices over the last 8 years palm pilot, palm vs, palm tungsten, toshiba e740, dell x50v, o2 atom exec, imate jasjam.

So i know where you are coming from and quite frankly to be honest there are some shortcomings to the iphone that bug me. ie. no cut and paste and no ability to edit ms office documents, and gimped bluetooth.

BUT as far as a phone goes, it rocks. As far as it is a device with nothing but potential for its future development, it cannot be rivaled. There are some quality issues with regards to hardware (ie. case etc but when you sell 1 million phones in a week or so, there are bound to me ones that slip through the cracks especially being made in China).

But the user interface cannot be rivaled and having used the LG prada and HTC touch interfaces. The iphone interface makes them look primitive.

But I congratulate you on your choice. I have seen the LG viewty and it is definitely a nice piece of tech. The iphone is not the right choice for everyone. And I am glad you have found what works for you. :p

iphonecritic
31st July 2008, 02:41 PM
hi nathr32 actualy the lg viewty can be customised so the user interface isnt crappy anymore i do admit it was when i got but after installing the themes that has that lovely iphone interface i guess i can say i got the WORKS

oh the stylus is an option guys you can use ur finger to :D lolllll however atleast we have that option...

face it lg rules iphone just sells cos of its name and well its just hype..

anyway if u really want to see the features of the lg then look around it also has tv out so thats nothing fancy .. but the camera is :D the theme is :D the flash is :D and ohhh the price is!!!

anyway i also read a post on the problems with not being able to delete a single sms... hmm plus i think the iphone is abit to big although it is thin its longer.

well hopefuly apple will release THE NEXT GENERATION IPHONE!!! like they did with the ipods ...

ok people bye now! just my 2cents

chrome
31st July 2008, 02:43 PM
Its not about the hardware, stupid. Its about the software.

XCode + IB + Cocoa for iPhone OS is lightyears ahead of any other development environment and API available for any other phone, warts and all.

iphonecritic
31st July 2008, 02:44 PM
ummm lol!!!! the viewty costs $429 at allphones for example thats where i bought it... unless you got ur iphone at the back of some truck you might get it at that price so yehh the PRICE is ridiculous comparison true but only when it relates to the iphone and its featuressssssssssssss LOLLLL

Kensei
31st July 2008, 02:45 PM
Hmmm part of me can't help thinking we are being punked.

Hey iphonecritic, You aren't Anthony Aguis having a laugh at us are you? :D

Huy
31st July 2008, 02:46 PM
You say the LG has to be customized before the UI isn't crappy anymore. The iPhone does not need customizing to make it less crappy. It's less crappy out of the box on first boot.

The iPhone can do TV out as well, if you looked on Page 1.

Why would you need to delete an SMS? Let me think, because you're running out of space? Not a problem on the iPhone.

You can delete 'conversations' on the iPhone. Which I never do anyway... see space issue.

Next generation iPhone? It's already here. iPhone 3G. An improvement over last year's model. :)

iphonecritic
31st July 2008, 02:46 PM
here her to kensei for being a realisitc!! consumer !!
thanks!! oh and ur lucky you got it for that price enjoy ur purchase maybe you guys will figure out something to work around the little bugs! but cool !

dotComrade
31st July 2008, 02:50 PM
If you are desperate for a stylus. try one of these About the Pogo Stylus (http://www.tenonedesign.com/stylus.php)

cmrn
The viewty, although it can take 5MP pictures, can only hold about 10 of them with the onboard memory. This can be expanded to up to 2 gb with a microSD card.

Wow. Enjoy your Viewty.

Now please, go away. You have registered on this forum to insult a product that you are imitating with an (in my opinion) inferior phone. Every argument you have put forward has been decimated by me and others. You have not wrote logical sentences, or have put down logical ideas.

If someone wants to buy an inferior phone for an equal price, then spend their (although not in your case) precious time to imitate the superior device, then there is really something wrong with the world.

delux

Having an iPhone interface on an LG is just like having HSV badges on your Commodore.

EPIC FAIL

chrome
31st July 2008, 02:51 PM
iphonecritic: I don't think you're contributing much to mactalk. The only reason you've signed up for an account here is so you can troll for the reactions that you've got.

Nice troll. *clap* *clap* *clap*.

I sense your life expectancy on these forums to be rather short.

Kensei
31st July 2008, 02:52 PM
thanks!! oh and ur lucky you got it for that price enjoy ur purchase maybe you guys will figure out something to work around the little bugs! but cool !

Haha no problems enjoy your purchase. Having extensive experience with Windows Mobile, working around bugs is second nature to me.

But that is WiMo's greatest strength and weakness. It can become unstable but for the computer saving it is ultra customisable, but for the avearge consumer who wants something that just works I would definately suggest the iphone.

It's a good compromise between technology and functionality. The same comparisons can be said about windows computers and mac osx too.

iphonecritic
31st July 2008, 02:53 PM
its an option to delete messgs ever1 wants an option..... its gud to have an option :)

kogi
I'd rather apply a cheese grater to my privates rather than use windows mobile again.

forgie
Hmmm part of me can't help thinking we are being punked.

Hey iphonecritic, You aren't Anthony Aguis having a laugh at us are you? :D
Either Anthony, or perhaps Asher Moses? ;)

juzz
1st August 2008, 03:15 PM
Having an iPhone interface on an LG is just like having HSV badges on your Datsun.

EPIC FAIL

Fixed.

I'd rather apply a cheese grater to my privates rather than use windows mobile again.

Ditto.

Erwin
1st August 2008, 03:21 PM
Wow, this thread has been undeleted. :) This is great entertainment for a Friday afternoon... ;)

WhiteiPhone
1st August 2008, 03:26 PM
Wow, this thread has been undeleted. :) This is great entertainment for a Friday afternoon... ;)

wow i wondered where it went :p

LG viewty = mum still dresses me

iPhone = i have the independence to go out and buy my own clothes and dress myself

OP you are a idiot, or you slept with to many shemales to decide on a LG viewty

Aaron
1st August 2008, 03:35 PM
A stylus? who the fuck uses a stylus?

dotComrade
1st August 2008, 03:39 PM

You are obviously a huge fan of them ;)

drewbles
1st August 2008, 03:48 PM
There's a reason 3 flogs the viewty harder than a horse on cup day. BECAUSE THEY'RE MASS PRODUCED PIECES OF CRAP. A lot like the older nokias. I've never seen a samsung or LG phone that has a good UI. I've used 3-4 Windows Mobile devices which i'd never go back to. Yes, iPhone has issues. No, a viewty is *not* better.

And a stylus? The early 00's called. They want their UI back :P

And viewty? what a crapty name ;)

I'll stick with my iPhone. I prefer functionality!

lucid.motion
1st August 2008, 03:49 PM
its an option to delete messgs ever1 wants an option..... its gud to have an option :)

it's GUD ???

whats wrong with you?

was 2 o's really that hard to type?

nevermind, you are a freaking idiot.

tcn33
1st August 2008, 04:16 PM
http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/%7Ecaglar/DontFeedTheTroll.jpg
Thank you.

WhiteiPhone
1st August 2008, 04:28 PM
http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/%7Ecaglar/DontFeedTheTroll.jpg
Thank you.

why not its friday arvo we all need some fun :p

mwot
1st August 2008, 04:36 PM
oh please. just close the thread already ...

AcesHoney
1st August 2008, 04:43 PM
my son got the viewty the same week as I got my iPhone. Initially he was sprouting about his phone and how it had all these great features. He has since pulled his head in when he can see just what mine does in comparasion. U should see him trying to type messages on myspace on his viewty, takes him forever!!

nard
1st August 2008, 04:45 PM
tcn33, hilarious and so true, but...

I can't resist...

So pray tell me, iphonecritic, how does one pinch or flick using a stylus? Snap it in half?

LarryH
1st August 2008, 04:52 PM
Unlike you, everyone else did their research before queueing for an iPhone. Not only that, but people on this forum couldn't wait a month for the iPhone. Myself excluded.

Geoff3DMN
1st August 2008, 04:53 PM

ME!

And thanks to the person earlier in the thread who gave the link to this...

About the Pogo Stylus (http://www.tenonedesign.com/stylus.php)

because it's fixed 1 of the 3 issues I have with the iPhone :thumbup:

I've used pda's for over a decade now and they've all had stylus systems, which allow much finer selection control than a big fat finger ever will. Doesn't matter for icons, but imagine trying to select a section of text in a book in small font with a finger, not going to happen.

The 2nd issue I have is that there isn't yet an ebook reader program that supports encrypted ebooks so I can buy them from online stores (like fictionwise). Although rather promisingly I did get a survey from fictionwise asking how many people would use a iPhone reader client. I made sure I was very enthusiastic in the support comments so I hope they go ahead and develop one.

The 3rd issue is that it doesn't support 3G on the band that Optus offer 3G in my area (looks like I'll have to check out Telstra to get around that).

I'm sure this guy is a troll but he has a point that at least some users will find not having a stylus limiting.

WhiteiPhone
1st August 2008, 04:54 PM
Unlike you, everyone else did their research before queueing for an iPhone. Not only that, but people on this forum couldn't wait a month for the iPhone. Myself excluded.

i had a htc diamond, worst phone ever, dont get me started on it.
had it for a month and then got the iPhone on launch day, i couldnt resist that sexy white body :)

drewbles
1st August 2008, 05:01 PM
why not its friday arvo we all need some fun :p

That and we didn't have a mobile network to play on all afternoon ;)

WhiteiPhone
1st August 2008, 05:03 PM
ME!

And thanks to the person earlier in the thread who gave the link to this...

About the Pogo Stylus (http://www.tenonedesign.com/stylus.php)

because it's fixed 1 of the 3 issues I have with the iPhone :thumbup:

I've used pda's for over a decade now and they've all had stylus systems, which allow much finer selection control than a big fat finger ever will. Doesn't matter for icons, but imagine trying to select a section of text in a book in small font with a finger, not going to happen..
yea u double tap.

wtf is that pogo? looks like a mini dildo with some frilly shit on the front :p:p

Maticks
1st August 2008, 05:08 PM
who cares that the camera is 2MP thats better then some phones at least it takes a good photo.
Its an Iphone not an Icamera with phone functionality.
But i do admit apple could have put a higher res camera 4MP or 5MP into their Ipod Touch since all the phone hardware wont be in the unit they'd have the space to do it.

At least then with the Ipod Touch you get a feature not available on the Iphone.
Someone actually wanting a stylus made me fall out of my seat.
Buy a Windows Mobile Device if you want that. :)

Hollywood
1st August 2008, 05:22 PM
i never cease to shrug when people ask "where is the little stick thing?" when i use my iPhone

Erwin
1st August 2008, 05:27 PM
As another member posted, you can't really zoom in or out using a stylus - what is remarkable about the iPhone is the lack of stylus in its user interface.

WhiteiPhone
1st August 2008, 05:32 PM
i never cease to shrug when people ask "where is the little stick thing?" when i use my iPhone

i usually throw in some smart ass remark like
"your fingers not thin enough?"
"dude did you f'ing loose it?"

Geoff3DMN
1st August 2008, 05:37 PM
i usually throw in some smart ass remark like
"your fingers not thin enough?"

Not all of us are 65kg geek weaklings... some of us actually have muscles and bone structure :p

nard
1st August 2008, 05:40 PM
It doesn't matter how thin are your fingers. The interface is intelligent enough to work with both thick and thin. Most people who find problems with finger size and the iPhone interface haven't taken the time to learn how to use it. Which is sad because it only takes a few minutes to learn.

Geoff3DMN
1st August 2008, 05:51 PM
Most people who find problems with finger size and the iPhone interface haven't taken the time to learn how to use it. Which is sad because it only takes a few minutes to learn.

I know 'how' to use the interface. I'm just not as fast or as accurate with it as I am with a stylus.

And more annoyingly it leaves smudges on the iphone screen.

Maybe if you work in an office job rather than a workshop it wouldn't matter... have you tried changing the oil on a motorbike then using the touchscreen recently?

Oh... and add in protective gloves just to make life more interesting...

marc
1st August 2008, 05:53 PM
It doesn't matter how thin are your fingers. The interface is intelligent enough to work with both thick and thin. Most people who find problems with finger size and the iPhone interface haven't taken the time to learn how to use it. Which is sad because it only takes a few minutes to learn.
I found the "learning" means "just mash in the area of the button". It's pretty intelligent in picking up which button you were closest too. Same goes for typing... just keep typing and assume it'll guess the right word. Very quick when you get used to it.

Much faster for everything than my old SE phone.

themessup
1st August 2008, 05:54 PM
You want a stylus?
You'll lose a stylus before you lose a finger.

Flash is coming to the iPhone.

How much storage is inside the LG Viewty? I bet it isn't 8GB or 16GB.

Sounds to me like your only gripe was the 2MP camera. It takes fine photos, in my opinion. It's not the best, but they are suitable for emails.

+1

Stylus' are pathetic pieces of plastic that will snap, you have to take them with you, you have to dig around in your pocket to get it out blah blah....

And I agree with Huy, it takes fine photos for what a camera in a phone is supposed to do. Its a phone with a camera not a camera with a phone. Try and find a LG forum next time.

cmrn
1st August 2008, 06:03 PM
The 2nd issue I have is that there isn't yet an ebook reader program that supports encrypted ebooks so I can buy them from online stores (like fictionwise). Although rather promisingly I did get a survey from fictionwise asking how many people would use a iPhone reader client. I made sure I was very enthusiastic in the support comments so I hope they go ahead and develop one.

eReader is developed by fictionwise, you can log in to your fwise account and download your books... http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284499993&mt=8

Geoff3DMN
1st August 2008, 06:06 PM
eReader is developed by fictionwise, you can log in to your fwise account and download your books... http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284499993&mt=8

Ahhh kewl they've released it!

I wonder what secure formats it supports... guess I'll have to check.

Ta for the heads up :)

dolbinau
1st August 2008, 06:10 PM
Not all of us are 65kg geek weaklings... some of us actually have muscles and bone structure :p

I knew I was thin for a reason! iPhone is made for me :P.

WhiteiPhone
1st August 2008, 06:16 PM

hmm im not 65kg, im 100Kg
:)
and i dont need a stylus, maybe coz my iphone enough style to not need a stylus :p

themessup
1st August 2008, 07:01 PM
Ok guys, let's just give the baby his bottle. Iphonecritic, if you want to use a cheap quality mobile phone, go for it, but don't tell us that we should downgrade our standards and buy one as well to save a couple of bucks. Apple make there profits through quality, other companies make their's through quantity. Apple are going to keep on sending out iPhone updates to make it better and better. On the other hand, LG will just make another phone and forget about your's to keep making money. You are happy with your purchase, and that's good, but here on an Apple forum, we don't care and you arn't going to be able to change our minds with: yeh da lg iz betta coz it's got a stylus. Who wants to poke a screen with a stick anyway?

That's my opinion,
Tom

DavyG
1st August 2008, 07:09 PM
Ok guys, let's just give the baby his bottle. Iphonecritic, if you want to use a cheap quality mobile phone, go for it, but don't tell us that we should downgrade our standards and buy one as well to save a couple of bucks. Apple make there profits through quality, other companies make their's through quantity. Apple are going to keep on sending out iPhone updates to make it better and better. On the other hand, LG will just make another phone and forget about your's to keep making money. You are happy with your purchase, and that's good, but here on an Apple forum, we don't care and you arn't going to be able to change our minds with: yeh da lg iz betta coz it's got a stylus. Who wants to poke a stick with a screen with a stick anyway?

That's my opinion,
Tom

+1. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Now I just have to find this 'iPhone' and see what all the fuss is about. :) (Don't hurt me)

NeoRicen
1st August 2008, 07:13 PM
The Viewty sucks...

themessup
1st August 2008, 07:22 PM
@NeoRicen - short, simple, straight to the point. :D

nard
1st August 2008, 07:49 PM
I found the "learning" means "just mash in the area of the button". It's pretty intelligent in picking up which button you were closest too. Same goes for typing... just keep typing and assume it'll guess the right word. Very quick when you get used to it.

I agree, however, I was thinking more of thinks like double-tap, pinch and the loupe for fine selections. These interface elements usually solve the "problems" people raise. ;)

Geoff3DMN, I agree that avoiding a greasy screen is a better reason to require a stylus and thanks to Ten One Design you can now have one. The beauty of the iPhone screen in comparison to other phones, however, is that it is made of glass and therefore easy to keep clean and free from scratches. :thumbup:

I still don't think that a stylus is required to use the interface quickly, accurately and efficiently. It may, in fact, be a hindrance to optimal use.

decryption
1st August 2008, 07:58 PM
LG make vaccum cleaners and fridges, not phones...

nortonjg
1st August 2008, 08:01 PM
You could use two stylus to pinch and zoom:p

Huy
1st August 2008, 08:03 PM

Chopsticks? :p

nard
1st August 2008, 08:04 PM

Ha! :D Why not just pick up a set of chopsticks then? :p

nard
1st August 2008, 08:05 PM
Huy, you're just too quick for me. ;)

wolfie
1st August 2008, 08:06 PM
why must we educate these sort of people?

if they cant tell a smart, revolutionary phone when it smacks them in the face, im not sure they are the type of people the phone is targetted for.

let them be with their nokia 95's, LG's, SE phones and all of us are happy.
it their loss, not ours

themessup
1st August 2008, 08:20 PM
+1

I wonder what's stopping Anthony from closing this thread? He must enjoy the non-Apple product bagging ;)

BiRDBRAiN
1st August 2008, 08:27 PM
<falls out of chair clutching sides from laughing so hard/>

<translation>
I killed my Nokia 6280, and unfortunately no Floptus prepaids in stock, and I couldn't go for a month without a phone so I got a Nokia N81. I have to say Nokia shits all over LG, but I still love my iPod Touch and enjoy using the apps and the interface much better than my Nokia.
</translation>

nortonjg
1st August 2008, 08:37 PM
Chopsticks? :p

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/9867/iphonenoodlesgc5.th.png (http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=iphonenoodlesgc5.png)

wilko
1st August 2008, 08:45 PM

At least Apple will be able to push out a update and fix all the little issues people are having, I would hate to see LG do that.

I find it amazing that everyone is so fired up about this, as iphonecritic just seems to want to get a rise out of all of us with promoting the LG product.

Phase
1st August 2008, 08:46 PM
LOL

indeed.

nard
2nd August 2008, 09:18 AM
I find it amazing that everyone is so fired up about this, as iphonecritic just seems to want to get a rise out of all of us with promoting the LG product.

No one fired up here. Just a few of us indulging in the noble sport of troll bashing. :)

jimdrum
2nd August 2008, 10:06 AM
lol with a username of iphonecritic you can be sure that you'll be objective and balanced :)

Check 'critic' in a dictionary...

mitty
2nd August 2008, 10:18 AM
Hm, he can lose his stylus... if we lose our fingers, will i doubt our iphones will be at the top of our list of "dohs".

TheKeddi
2nd August 2008, 10:40 AM
I don't think they should close this thread!!! it's very amusing to read!!!

I like the sport of troll baiting and think it should be in the Olympics!

Good on ya Critic for liking your LG, someone has to buy those crap ones so that others can see them and then say WOW the iphone is wonderful isn't it!

cj2020
2nd August 2008, 08:46 PM
Funny how when we all explain how much we love our iPhones and why, iphonecritic thinks s/he has "striked a lot of nerves". Quite the contrary, I reckon - I love my iPhone, I know its limits, and I know it does all the things I need/want it to do, and for less than $429.00. A lot less.

: )

macaholic
2nd August 2008, 11:54 PM
Hey iPhoneCritic,
all I can say is ... (http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Miscellaneous/ltmi_045.mp3)
:D
and... (http://www.nonstick.com/wsounds/ahmawarn.mp3)

Atomic
3rd August 2008, 03:57 PM
stylus = wanker user

jamesrslewis
3rd August 2008, 04:37 PM
I had the LG Viewty and i just switched over to the iPhone because the Viewty was a steaming pile of Horse Sh!t! The camera was mediocre at best, the interface was shocking, never used the divx or flash video features because the video player was so unbearable to use, the music player was shocking, texting was a nightmare because it has none of the auto-correct the iPhone has... blah blah blah, the list goes on and on.

I can truly see now why they call the iPhone the "Jesus Phone" and why companies like LG are losing enormous amounts of money. And i'm glad. So long LG mobile, hasn't been nice knowing you.

themessup
3rd August 2008, 04:47 PM
I had the LG Viewty and i just switched over to the iPhone because the Viewty was a steaming pile of Horse Sh!t! The camera was mediocre at best, the interface was shocking, never used the divx or flash video features because the video player was so unbearable to use, the music player was shocking, texting was a nightmare because it has none of the auto-correct the iPhone has... blah blah blah, the list goes on and on.

I can truly see now why they call the iPhone the "Jesus Phone" and why companies like LG are losing enormous amounts of money. And i'm glad. So long LG mobile, hasn't been nice knowing you.

Yeah, LG should stick to what they know - fridges and TV's :p

lurka
3rd August 2008, 06:06 PM
Having an iPhone interface on an LG is just like having HSV badges on your Commodore.

EPIC FAIL

+1 to that

EPIC FAIL[/QUOTE]

NefWolf
3rd August 2008, 06:08 PM
I support Apple...

You fail miserably in telling me this detail. Try cognitive dissonance or something in a forum not full of Apple devotees.

shamus
3rd August 2008, 11:28 PM
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

I think it was Tim Cook that said this in the Q2 conference call, i guess in reference to the Viewty.

I guess it was good for that at least! Made Steve Jobs feel all warm and fuzzy with flattery! :)

The Fluffy Duck
3rd August 2008, 11:59 PM
Oh god that thing is hideous. Why bother? Serously if you hate the iphone why make it look like one?

Thats like Ted haggard turning out to be gay........Oh wait!

Maticks
4th August 2008, 03:26 AM
LG make vaccum cleaners and fridges, not phones...

hey they made TV's as well, ok some of the may have blown up 20% ish but thats why its LG "our profit margins good" :)

Maticks
4th August 2008, 03:31 AM
when someone first said Viewty to me i thought they had a disease, i was thinking how long do you have to live.
After using one on the weekend im glad the Iphone exists because if i bought one of those POS i wouldn't be living long.
We are forgetting one issue here with a stylus after 1 year of using it on your screen you will find holes in your screen.
It will take around 40 years for your fingers on an Iphone to get through the glass.
by using a stylus all your doing is slowly destroying your phone.

Soleil
4th August 2008, 09:22 AM
Please come back and tell us the exact moment your LG fails and then how many more you have after that before you give up on LG. There are only 2 brands of phone I would never buy again and thats LG and Motorola. These arent just my own experiences but after having bad experiences with both, I have read of many more and know people who have had similar issues. More so with LG than Motorola but still. If you had bought a Samsung (or Nokia or SE, etc) Id say "enjoy", but you bought an LG and I say "sucked in"

macaholic
4th August 2008, 09:38 AM
Hey, I heard the Viewty makes a nice mirror when its off. :D

Maticks
4th August 2008, 10:01 AM
it also makes 10 coke bottles when failure date is reached.

Darwiniandude
6th August 2008, 08:54 PM
It doesn't matter how thin are your fingers. The interface is intelligent enough to work with both thick and thin.

Reminds me of a friend who often said:

Long and thin goes too far in,
and doesn't please the ladies.
Short and thick, does the trick;
and brings out proper babies.

Aaaaanyway...

To the guy who mentioned issues navigating within text or fine controls without a stylus, are there really people who don't know their iphones well enough to know to tap, hold and drag to produce the magnifying glass? They're going to love that one!

Darwiniandude
6th August 2008, 08:55 PM
it also makes 10 coke bottles when failure date is reached.

Wild! More than it'll be worth on eBay, that's 10x 5c = 50c.

Rich, I tells you!

yellow18
6th August 2008, 09:02 PM
for anyone interested... LG stands for 'lucky GLODSTAR'. yes remember that crap brand from the early 80's that was sold exclusively in Kmart. Goldstar. sheer crap, lucky goldstar is the korean owners name. Goldstar = korean for shit.

Erwin
6th August 2008, 09:03 PM
I think we frightened away the OP. :)

Tom125
6th August 2008, 09:28 PM

No, his viewty has probably broken so he can't get back on the internet. Or maybe he lost his stylus and can't operate it! ;)

themessup
6th August 2008, 09:47 PM
Hopefully he went to a LG forum :p Anyway, ignorance is bliss - no wonder he went with LG.

Darwiniandude
6th August 2008, 09:51 PM

A friend showed him Super Monkey Ball, Radius, Aurora Feint, BeatMaker, BrainChallenge, Youtube, Facebook and then asked to look at his Viewty; he ran away and hid under a stool.

leigh22
6th August 2008, 09:52 PM
i thort we were over all this hating, geez

timothy
6th August 2008, 11:07 PM
A friend showed him Super Monkey Ball, Radius, Aurora Feint, BeatMaker, BrainChallenge, Youtube, Facebook and then asked to look at his Viewty; he ran away and hid under a stool.

This is so true! A few workmates have said some silly stuff about the phones capabilities. But when they see the internet on the phone... they spin out.

The problem with most people is they have tried one at a store or read about them.

If they see someone enjoying the features and really using it to it's full extent, nine times out of ten they will want one, even if it is only to store 10GB of music, thousands of photos, mess around with the apps and of course video looks really good. etc...

Internet and making calls and email and it works on your iPod!

And then there is one guy just insisting you cannot bluetooth-transfer your music blahh... and bagging out it's lack of stylus!!! Laughing about it and refusing to look, just saying "I've already seen it and it's a rip-off!!!"

Then you look at maps in satellite view and with GPS the locate me button makes for quick execution of a stunning overhead view of where you are. I really do think nine out of ten think it is really really cool.

Can the Viewty or any other phone really compete at this moment in time...

Sorry it's okay your camera with bluetooth is better than my mobile computer.

reemixx
6th August 2008, 11:19 PM
Wow, this thread is still going?

No, his viewty has probably broken so he can't get back on the internet. Or maybe he lost his stylus and can't operate it! ;)

Hehee! Gold! :D

Curious to know if anyone's actually shown their iPhone 3G to someone who has, in turn, responded negatively towards it?

WhiteiPhone
6th August 2008, 11:26 PM
Curious to know if anyone's actually shown their iPhone 3G to someone who has, in turn, responded negatively towards it?
yep the fat woman who loves cake, she said "my fingers are the size of 4 icons, cant use it"
haha

reemixx
6th August 2008, 11:36 PM
yep the fat woman who loves cake, she said "my fingers are the size of 4 icons, cant use it"
haha

LOL :D

"The fingers you have used to dial are too fat. To obtain a special dialing wand, please mash the keypad with your palm now."

Johnny Appleseed
7th August 2008, 12:13 AM
The stylus was one of the reasons I was never interested in PocketPCs. That and Windows Mobile!

Lilith
7th August 2008, 09:47 AM
Okay. Okay. I read all the posts. The winning post is...

*drum roll*

*more drum roll*

*cymbals - oh my God the freaking guys doing a solo*

Tada!

No stylus?

A bit like not buying a car because there's no horse.

Yep, caused my to ROFL. Pity I was sitting on the toilet at the time.

-------

Man I hope the OP remembers to put his stylus down when he, um, scratches inside his nose. Ouch! That's one more advantage of using an iPhone. No need to down tools when overcome with the urge to dig.

Shame about the boogey skids marks over the iPhone though :o

Jassycin
7th August 2008, 10:37 AM
No need to down tools when overcome with the urge to dig.
Shame about the boogey skids marks over the iPhone though
eeww... , :p well that went down nicely with my cream bikkie and coffee. At least I know what a stylus is for now. lol

I have had one negative response. My best friends hubby who said "you bought one of those things all the crazy people lined up for?? You loser." He got away with it cause hes such a good friend, and it was a bit tongue in cheek... and he's a total technophobe, with no clue when it comes to gadgets. He was, however, impressed when I instantly showed him weather, time etc. in London & Spain (their daughter is in Europe atm) and then I put a few notes in my calendar which I told him would be instantly on my computer at work. Thats when he got a bot confused. :eek: lol

All others have been cautiously interested. My 3 teens think it is awesome.
I know one other person who got one and is as excited as me.:)

Darwiniandude
7th August 2008, 11:11 PM
The impressive thing, is my mum who is 59 and doesn't have a phone (couldn't work out a Nokia 5510 years ago, gave up) has no problems using it as a phone.

It's really really easy, even if you don't want to use most/any of it's features.

Like the vibrate-silent/Ring switch, how good is that; no need to unlock the keypad, hold a hash key for awhile or go into a menu and change a profile and relock the keypad. You can just reach into your pocket and make it silent without anyone else knowing what you're doing.

Why didn't Nokia/Sony Ericcsson/etc think of that?

WhiteiPhone
8th August 2008, 12:34 AM
Like the vibrate-silent/Ring switch, how good is that; no need to unlock the keypad, hold a hash key for awhile or go into a menu and change a profile and relock the keypad. You can just reach into your pocket and make it silent without anyone else knowing what you're doing.

Why didn't Nokia/Sony Ericcsson/etc think of that?
because they dont think outside the box....

dolbinau
8th August 2008, 08:22 AM
because they dont think outside the box....

Those company's contributions to mobile phone designs in the past 10 years is much, much, much more significant than Apple IMO. I don't think they should be marginalised!

nutmeg-42
8th August 2008, 09:42 AM
I gave my mother (67 years old) my daughter's old first gen iphone. The daughter got my first gen when I upgraded to 3g. Her's was a bit battered, has two cracks in the screen, but still works perfectly. Anyway, quickly showed my mother how to use it (she's not technically minded) and she picked it up straight away and thought it was so simple to use. As far as negative reactions, I don't show it off. I'm sick of having to defend Apple to poor misguided Windows losers...I mean users and am so over the Apple vs Windows thing. Besides, my sister is so anti-Apple it wouldn't matter what they invented. As soon as the word Mac or Apple enters the conversation you can literally see the shutters go down and she's switched off. I just don't care anymore, each to their own.

bugzzie
8th August 2008, 04:49 PM
The Joy of Tech comic... laughter is the best tech support. (http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/1127.html)

Enough said

ninja
8th August 2008, 07:24 PM

Im coming into this debate late and i havent read the entire thread so youll have to forgive me. Apple dont want to pack in billions of features into one phone because not everyone will use them and one of the main design features they are always been consistent with is simplicity. Both in hardware and software. Most people dont care about the difference between a 2MP and 5MP. In fact im stunned at the quality on the 2MP cam in the iphone.
As for the stylus, the most natural thing to do is to touch the screen with your finger so why not use it. The stylus is another thing that isnt really needed and is easy to loose.

Case in point -Take the original ipod. It was released without an FM radio which alot of people complained about and still do. Now this wasnt just to get you to buy stuff from the itunes store which probably wasnt even conceived back then but for the fact that it would have created one extra menu. Cluttering up things that little bit more. Steve has always been good at saying "No" to designers which is harder than saying "Yes".

banjo
8th August 2008, 08:54 PM
Now this wasnt just to get you to buy stuff from the itunes store which probably wasnt even conceived back then but for the fact that it would have created one extra menu.

And seriously ... who would listen to FM radio on an iPod anyway? One of my first MP3 players had FM radio and I never used, and couldn't conceive of any need to.

"The fingers you have used to dial are too fat. To obtain a special dialing wand, please mash the keypad with your palm now."

Hehehe, exactly what I was thinking. I watch too much TV :|

ninja
9th August 2008, 08:51 AM
And seriously ... who would listen to FM radio on an iPod anyway? One of my first MP3 players had FM radio and I never used, and couldn't conceive of any need to.

Im agreeing with you.. That was the point i was making

themessup
9th August 2008, 09:08 AM
The more features that are added, the more complicated the unit gets.

mrmarts
9th August 2008, 11:01 AM
Lmao since i got my iphone its been on me 24/7, i hate stylus pens if its a touch screen it shouldnt need that pen they are very annoying and easy to lose.

I have had used a few pdas in the past and the iphone has the best responses to touch only when the software dosent get buggy.

No phones camera is good they are all crap might i suggest a digital camera.

Hear comes the bad LG Phones are really crap i used a chocalate for a year it had probelm after probelm lose of reception, no keypad lights, touch sensitive buttons going crazy, probelms with sliding mechanism it was so bad i kept who would take it!!!!

i knew a person who owned a prada before the iphone came out she told me its screen would not respond frequently. i was scared to buy the iphone cause of the phone my o2 xda phone speaker was bad but the iphone is wonderful.

at the end of the day it just depends on what u going to use the phone for all i can say its a great multimedia device where you can watch films, listen to music, surf and check emails on the go and play some wonderful some of which are free to get.

tkilik11
9th August 2008, 11:03 AM
why do you bother posting this when you know everyone will bag you?

reemixx
9th August 2008, 11:16 AM
why do you bother posting this when you know everyone will bag you?

You mean the OP? Likely just for attention and to get everyone into a heated debate - I mean, look at how many responses he got.

room 40
9th August 2008, 11:23 AM
my wife has a LG viewty and i have the iPhone..

She loves the iphone and loathes the LG piece of land-fill

She has had it since xmas and I wish I had a dollar for every-time she has had a problem with it... 3 actually replaced it because of the problems she had and now the new one is just as crappy

craigd
9th August 2008, 11:47 AM
Who cares, I'm sure the LG is a good phone, its not an iPhone and never will be.

Everyone likes different things.. Is it really worth 142 responses.

meatcurry
7th February 2009, 12:57 PM
Well commenting to what huy said regarding viewety and iphone being 16g well that might be true but i have viewety firmware 11h and my viewety is30g sd micro mem and my iphone60 g so dont know what huy is talking about both phones bought in oz

halledise
7th February 2009, 01:04 PM
Who cares, I'm sure the LG is a good phone, its not an iPhone and never will be.

Everyone likes different things.. Is it really worth 142 responses.

145 now - yo moto rola :cool:

tcn33
7th February 2009, 01:07 PM
I thought the new skin was going to include protection against thread necrophilia.

Anyone who really wants to discuss their "viewety" can start a new thread.