PDA

View Full Version : Question about text, voicemail and data usage

c000
31st July 2008, 09:44 AM
Hi I have a few things I can't figure out on my iphone:

1. How do I stop text messages getting previewed on my phone before I've opened them? I've tried going into the passcode lock and turning off this feature but it still keeps happening. Kind of annoying when you're in a meeting and a personal message pops up that anyone who's looking can read...!

2. How do I customise my voicemail? With my Nokia phone I used to be able to decide how many rings until it went to voicemail, when it went straight to voicemail (e.g. when rejected, engaged etc) etc. Can't work out how I can do this with the iphone.

3. I'm on the plan that gives me 500MB of data for free. I'm a bit unclear as to when I'm using up that data. E.g. when I play a game I've downloaded - am I using up data to actually play the game? Last night I used my iphone for hours using my wireless connection at home. When I went to look at my usage stats I had used up no data. This morning I used an app I had downloaded and it showed I had used up data.

If anyone can help me out that would be great.
Thanks!

Huy
31st July 2008, 09:49 AM
Welcome to MacTalk. :)

1. You can't. Not when the iPhone is 'awake' and idle. Do a search and you will find a topic on this.

3. If you download a game using 3G, then it will use data. If you have the game already downloaded, it should not use data unless it is a game that requires connectivity e.g. multi-player ones or something.

Wireless home connection does not use your 3G data.

alasen
31st July 2008, 12:32 PM
2. Pretty sure the optus guy who set up my account asked me these questions and entered it into the form. My previous, non-3g, non-nokia Telstra phone didn't have these settings either.

kevinnugent
31st July 2008, 01:15 PM
Welcome to MacTalk. :)

1. You can't. Not when the iPhone is 'awake' and idle. Do a search and you will find a topic on this.

Interesting note here. I put in a 4 hour pin code lock on the screen, and now when a SMS comes through it just says the name of the person sending (if they are in your contacts - a number otherwise) and "Text Message" underneath. No details. Nice.

reemixx
31st July 2008, 01:41 PM
Interesting note here. I put in a 4 hour pin code lock on the screen, and now when a SMS comes through it just says the name of the person sending (if they are in your contacts - a number otherwise) and "Text Message" underneath. No details. Nice.

Yep, works nicely if you only want that feature when your phone is locked and idle, which I suppose is most people. No cigar if you don't want the text message to show while you're actually using the phone, though.

This is starting to become something that lots of people are asking about, which means there's a lot of call for it. Hope it makes its way to Apple at some point, though I really doubt it's something they'd do much about, regrettably.

c000
31st July 2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks all - that's helped.

I rang Optus iphone support and they have customised my voicemail. Will wait and see what the next release brings re text preview. :)