PDA

View Full Version : iPhone G3 slowing down and locking up

AGDPro
31st July 2008, 12:32 AM
Hi all,

I've had my iPhone for a week now and have been having some interesting thing happening...

Normally I would leave my phone on 24/7 but have found that I have to reboot it everyday... and sometimes during the day as well or the phone runs really slow when typing a email... it can take 40 secs to type "thank you", the letters get larger then hold on the screen for a longer then at the start of the day... its really odd...

Then today the phone went on EVEN slower...

The story goes...

Got a phone call, then made one straight away, once finished on the phone tried to type a sms and it took 1 minute to type two letters... tried to turn it off and nothing happened... left the phone to lock its self which it did then I was able to unlock took a lot longer than normal... then was able to turn off... and when it was turned back on alls fine again... the odd thing is its normally only slow with emails not sms…

Anyone got any ideas as to what’s going on????

I'm using Optus, with MobileMe email, cal and so on, only have 42 songs on a 16gb, have installed 6 apps... syncing it with a MacBook Pro not a PC...

Any help/ideas would be great!!

Huy
31st July 2008, 12:49 AM
Welcome to MacTalk, AGDPro :)

Yes. This is rather common and happens quite a bit. It also happens when typing out SMS' for me, not just typing out email replies.

I get rather annoyed at it because sometimes I am tapping away at a rapid speed and it takes a long time to come out, because each letter takes a few seconds to come up, one at a time.

I wait until the OS 'catches up' with itself and get out of the app (e.g. SMS) and go back in. Sometimes it is better upon relaunch. i.e. snappy again. This was never a problem on the first gen iPhone though (I have been through 1.0.2 to 1.1.4 on the first gen).

My setup, not that it really matters since it is a common 2.0 bug for lots of users:
Vodafone, no MobileMe, iCal syncing, 0 songs, default apps only. Mac user.

I would tell you to reboot or quit the app when you see this problem, then relaunch or restart. Yes, it is a hassle, but unfortunately there is no fix right now (even restoring to 5A347 does not fix it, as I have been on the latest firmware since Day 2 of the iPhone 3G launch).

We'll just have to wait until 2.0.1 comes out, which will hopefully iron out these bugs.

The iPhone 3G software feels like a '1.0' iPhone. It is great, but it is not that responsive (e.g. try tilting in Safari, horizontally, vertically, then back again). That was never a problem on the first gen iPhone.