PDA

View Full Version : Carrier switchers.. happier/worse off?

mechcon
30th July 2008, 09:59 PM
Okay so I used to be on 3 before I moved over to Optus to get the iPhones, I signed myself and my mum over as well on the same account.. Now we live in a coverage area where we (according to the maps) have full strength (GSM and 3G), now we've always been on Telstra naturally good coverage in metro areas..

The same was with 3 (due to telstra's backbone), now when we moved to optus, one side of the house has great coverage still on GSM (not 3g), but the other side of the house has horrible coverage all of a sudden, and that's where my mum runs her business..

So.. We'd like to stay on Optus, however I guess what I'm asking, is what'd get Optus to come around to take a look at the coverage (seriously, don't want smart-arsery comments), and yeah I'm sure I'm asking the wrong forum, I just thought if people here were in that situation and managed to get something done about it? Is there a number we can call to find out either?

Anyway, I just thought it'd be good to read similar stories, and seeing if people have had successes from this.. (and I rather not do the 30 days guarantee on the coverage satisfaction, as that's not an easy way out.. as I don't want to go on telstra.. and Three? well it's their fault for not having the iPhone).

Okay, floor is yours folks

WhiteiPhone
30th July 2008, 10:43 PM
mines pretty much the same

mechcon
30th July 2008, 10:44 PM
same as it was on your previous carrier?

WhiteiPhone
30th July 2008, 10:55 PM
same as it was on your previous carrier?

yeah, optus is pretty much the same coverage as 3 :)

MacRobbo
30th July 2008, 11:01 PM
Isnt the reception bar thingy an issue that could potentially be fixed in a firmware update?

decryption
30th July 2008, 11:09 PM
In the past two years, I have been on three different carriers - 3, Telstra and Optus

3 was cheap, but coverage poor
Telstra was expensive, but excellent coverage
Optus are in the middle, with good coverage (much better than 3, but not as good as Telstra).

If Telstra were offering a $79 cap with $200 of calls and 300mb of data, I'd go to it over my current $59 cap with $350 of calls and 500mb of data.

reemixx
30th July 2008, 11:27 PM
Optus have been pretty good with me so far. Similar to Vodafone's coverage, but I've noticed I can get coverage in some areas that Vodafone can't. Was in a shopping centre in the suburbs yesterday and my girlfriend on Vodafone got no signal, but mine was fine. Happens in that area quite often. I think Vodafone struggles a bit in some areas around here, especially up in the hills. Obviously Optus won't be quite as good as Telstra, but already noticing an improvement since switching. So yeah, I'm happy :)

Oh, 3G is a different story, though. I get pretty much no 3G at home in the 'burbs. But walking 100m from my house towards the city will pick up something usable. Not sure how the 3G compares with Vodafone as I never used it.

mechcon
30th July 2008, 11:48 PM
So have any of you heard of any success stories about approaching the telco explaining the scenario, and asking for ways to improve coverage in the area?

benzoenator
31st July 2008, 07:39 AM
Kinda wishing I had the mighty reception of Telstra. I was stuck on GPRS at school, while a friend who had the iPhone on Telstra had full 3G coverage.

Still, apart from the weekend I spent in the middle of Tasmania a few days ago, I haven't been struck with a No Service message yet, which is saying something for Tassie!

dolbinau
31st July 2008, 07:55 AM
I have very patchy 3G reception, but it was the same on three with my C975 so I'm not complaining.

mac_man_luke
31st July 2008, 08:52 AM
My optus coverage is about identical to the three coverage in my house with the my optus sim in my k800i but in my iphone its rather poor so im thinking the iphone is a major cause of poor coverage

mitty
31st July 2008, 08:54 AM
Was with T, now with O. Reception not as good, but for the price I can hardly complain. If Telstra drop data prices to something similar to what Decryption mentions, I would almost certainly go back.

nbetts
31st July 2008, 09:12 AM
I was briefly with Telstra. Had prepaid for my old original iphone. Then upgraded to 3G but stayed with telstra and have now unlocked my phone and put my 3 sim in.

On level 42 of the Eureka building in the city in Melbourne Telstra had perfect flawless coverage. 3 is patchy, never get above 3bars of signal. As i drive around i find 3 patchy on the iPhone but fine on a normal phone. The iPhone does not have good signal stickiness on less that strong carrier signals.

I dont know if this could be fixed via firmware update. I certainly hope so

mechcon
31st July 2008, 09:17 AM
I might give Optus a call and get shot in the foot so to speak, about getting enquries on the upgrading of phone coverage in our area.. curious to see how far we'll get with that..

jrad
31st July 2008, 10:01 AM
I'm finding I only get 1 bar of signal at home with Optus on multiple handsets... weird because I am in a "metro" area, and 3 mobile got excellent reception... full bars most of the time.

Heidi-Lee
31st July 2008, 10:18 AM
My Optus coverage is much better than the 3 coverage I used to get at home.

sobie2000
31st July 2008, 10:45 AM
was with 3 now optus. In adelaide noticed no difference, good speeds no network congestion with optus.

Just spent a week on the Gold Coast and optus seemed badly congested there with time outs frequently when trying to access the net and even make calls/ access voicemail. Even with the signal bars at 4 & 5 strength.

Arsenal
31st July 2008, 11:11 AM
I've got to say, going from Vodafone to Optus in Sydney inner city, the Optus signal is noticeably weaker. Strangely i seem to get good signal if i'm outdoors, but most of the time it drops dramatically inside (and i'm not talking deep in the bowels of a building, even in a 2 storey building on the top floor near the window). Also from my office i have full reception until i make or take a call then it drops down to one or two bars and speech at both ends get patchy.

All in all not too impressed so far.

This is all on 2G by the way, 3G is worse as they seem to have less towers, so i only really turn 3G on if i need to use it for Data.

cowzy
31st July 2008, 11:38 AM
I used to get good reception with vodafone at home, usually full bars. Switched to optus when I got the iPhone 3g and now I get shitty reception at home, pretty much useless for making and taking calls.

NeoRicen
31st July 2008, 07:39 PM
Haven't even noticed a difference, but since the plan is better I guess I'm happier.

D1rt13rS4nch3z
31st July 2008, 07:41 PM
I was on a contract with Vodafone. Which was (in my personal experience) much better than the previous two carriers I was with (3 and Optus). I switched to Telstra and am much happier with the reception.