PDA

View Full Version : Dude Its A Powerbook

nmreid
19th April 2005, 11:36 AM
Hi

I'm about to jump in and buy a Powerbook. My mate got me hooked on mac just a couple of months ago. Before that I hated mac, for no reason, but just didn't touch em. I'm a developer and I spend all day on a IBM PC programming and do alot of graphics design, web development and video production on my home PC. But now because of my good mate I'm hooked on Mac, keep looking at apple.com all day, so I have to fork out some money and buy one! But I have a couple of questions.

Powerbook sizes? I'm leaning towards a 17", but haven't seen on in real life to see how big it really is. Is it way too big? I never use public transport, drive everywhere, and if it is too big would it fit in a tralier? :) nuh just joking. Or should I think about a 15"?

Second, where should I get one? I live in Brisbane, should I just order at apple.com.au or go to a store?

Any tips...

designers_hub
19th April 2005, 11:40 AM
15inch.

17inch is really really big.

I wouldn't want to carry around a 17inch apple laptop its too big.

Find a store which is selling it for cheaper then call up apple.com.au and take the 10% discount offer. They will reduce the price for you under the competitor for up to 10%.

Big_J
19th April 2005, 11:40 AM
Wow! Sounds like your good mate is a total legend! B)

Disko
19th April 2005, 11:44 AM
Hey nmreid - welcome to appletalk.
(though i see you've been lurking for a month :ph34r: )

I love my 17". it isn't too big, and in my opinion the screen estate is very important for graphic design stuff. I couldn't handle being downsized to a 15 or 12 inch now.

Ultimately, it comes down to your choice - 15" or 17". (i wouldn't go 12 if you're planning any sort of design work)

nmreid
19th April 2005, 11:44 AM
hahaha don't get a big head Big J :P

nmreid
19th April 2005, 11:47 AM
Yeah I cut out some card last night the demensions of a 17" and had a play around. It seemed an alright size. My family thought I was crazy cutting it up and testing out the size on my desk and round the place :) it was a laugh

gmask1
19th April 2005, 11:52 AM
I would go the 17" if the cost is not too prohibitive, given that portability isn't a real concern. Personally, I went a spec'd up 15", and have never looked back. Work coughed up a cinema display for me, and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse finished everything off nicely!

iMick
19th April 2005, 11:53 AM
17" is big width wise because the of 16:9 aspect ratio of the screen. But every other dimension of the laptop is really compact. expecially the thickness. No 5cm thick dell 17" shitebox.

PS I love my 17"

Disko
19th April 2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by nmreid@Apr 19 2005, 11:17 AM
Yeah I cut out some card last night the demensions of a 17" and had a play around. It seemed an alright size. My family thought I was crazy cutting it up and testing out the size on my desk and round the place :) it was a laugh
I did the same thing while i was waiting for mine! :D

nmreid
19th April 2005, 12:01 PM
If I ordered one today and received it in May would it come loaded with Tiger? Is there a long wait for 17"'s?

macman
19th April 2005, 12:04 PM
Another vote for the 17". I use my mine @ work using a VPN, so I am running both PC and Mac @ the same time, so the real estate is great!

Cheers Macman

Disko
19th April 2005, 12:04 PM
It sure would. You'd have tigery goodness preinstalled in all probability.

964RSCS
19th April 2005, 12:33 PM
I have a 15 - didn't get the 17 because I want to do a fair bit of travel later in the year, and so didn't want to be lugging a 17 around with me. I think the 15 is a great size. 12 a little too small for what i wanted, and the 17 just seemed unnecessarily too big to me.

I find the 15 perfectly adequate. Screen res is 1280 x 854 (higher than my 17inch desktop monitor), so no problems there for mine. You can also connect it to an external monitor and so increase your useable desktop area when in the office.

As for buying in Brisbane... I bought mine at the Apple Centre in James St, The Valley. I've been quite happy with the service there. Personally I prefer to buy such an item from a "real life shop" as opposed to online. They had all sizes on display there yesterday!!

WonderBoy
19th April 2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by nmreid@Apr 19 2005, 11:36 AM
Before that I hated mac, for no reason, but just didn't touch em.
Congrats on deciding to make the switch. If you've never bought a Mac before, I'd suggest going to an actuall reseller. Hopefully they will be nice and helpfull and be a good contact in the future.

Out of curiosity, did you hate the Mac because you didn't know anything about them? Or was it more a case of having in the back of your mind that they were like the Macs you'd used years before? As a long time Mac user I've come across many friends that have this attitude of hating Mac but not having a valid reason and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.

leharicot
19th April 2005, 01:00 PM
can you really justify buying a $3000+ item without ever actually having seen it? Go into a reseller and have a play with the various models. You have to see it, feel it, test how heavy it is, see how big it is, etc., before you can decide what is right for you. Have a think about how much portability you need. If you dont need the portability, mabe you don't need a laptop? If you need the portability, go for the 15" - I found the 12" to small to do anything on.

As for online v reseller, general opinion seems to be that you will get it quicker through the online store. But make sure you have somehwere where they can deliver it (eg work, or someone at home all day). I ordered my 15" yesterday and have estimated delivery of next week (don't forget Monday is a holiday).

mactopher
19th April 2005, 01:37 PM
I feel much better knowing I am not alone, having myself made a scale cardboard replica of a 17" Powerbook. I even inked an Apple logo on it! Actually the cardboard was most useful, as when my real PB turned up and I took it out of the box... I was convinced I had been sent a 15" by mistake. Sizing to my cardboard replica did however show that I was indeed the proud owner of a new 17" PB.

When you compare the various models side by side... yes the 17" looks *big*, but when on its own the 17" looks.... well in my opinion, just right :-)

vargz
19th April 2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by leharicot@Apr 19 2005, 01:00 PM
can you really justify buying a $3000+ item without ever actually having seen it? Go into a reseller and have a play with the various models.
Spot on. You really need to have a look at the PBs in the flesh to decide what will suit you and your needs. You don't wanna fork out all that quid only to regret it.

From what you have said about your work, I reckon the 17 is the go. But the 15 is the premium model, the best balance of portability and usability. The 12 shouldn't even get a mention for your needs (but in my case I can't wait for mine to arrive :) )

Anyway, I too can relate, I was once a Mac hater - caused mainly by past high school experience using LCIIs in Computing class. Now, after 10 years, things have come a long way and I'm not switchin, rather integrating a Mac into my existing setup, where as I have a Win desktop and will have PB for my portable needs :)

WonderBoy
19th April 2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by leharicot@Apr 19 2005, 01:00 PM
As for online v reseller, general opinion seems to be that you will get it quicker through the online store.
If it's a 17" PowerBook he's after he'd probably be able to get it from the reseller right there and then. If it's the 15" then who knows when he'll get it - either from the reseller or AppleStore Online.

bolgs
19th April 2005, 02:31 PM
can somebody please clarify what designer_hub said?

does apple beat a cheaper competitor by 10%?

does this apply on top of education discounts?

Thanks.

jobe
19th April 2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by designers_hub@Apr 19 2005, 11:40 AM
15inch.

17inch is really really big.

I wouldn't want to carry around a 17inch apple laptop its too big.

Find a store which is selling it for cheaper then call up apple.com.au and take the 10% discount offer. They will reduce the price for you under the competitor for up to 10%.
hrm. I do not think that is entirly correct. The deal was that apple would match the resellers price up to 10% as in, they would go as low as 10% off THEIR price to match the resellers . So if you find a price at a resellers that 5% less than the apple store. Apple will give you a 5% discount, NOT 15%. If you are the luckiest man alive and foud a price at a resellers that's 15% lower than the apple store (BUY AND RUN!), Apple will only give you 10% off their price (so 5% MORE than the retailer).

The big ho-ha was that the recomended retail price set by apple in most case is only about 10% more than what the retailers buy it for in the first place. Not to mention any promotion run by a reseller instantly became an apple store promotion also.

Anyway, back on topic. Yes I would deffinately take a squiz at whats on offer before purchasing. Last time I was in Infinite Systems on Charlotte street, they had the entire range of ibooks and powerbooks on display for customers pleasure. You can use use them to access the internet and generally check everything out to make sure that you're making the right choice with regards to 15" vs 17"

vargz
19th April 2005, 03:49 PM
I find it staggering that Apple or any resellers are in a position (or feel the need) to provide discounts, given that Powerbook supplies aren't exactly in abundance!

WonderBoy
19th April 2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by bolgs@Apr 19 2005, 02:31 PM
does apple beat a cheaper competitor by 10%?

does this apply on top of education discounts?
Well look at the regular AppleStore and then look at the edu AppleStore. The edu AppleStore does not offer the same discount.

kenexx
19th April 2005, 04:21 PM
Go the 17" You will love it. I got one last year as a PC desktop replacement and have not looked back. I have an STM Loop backpack to haul it around in, it even has heaps of room for the bluetooth keyboard. Having said that I'm going to the States in August for a few weeks so I also got a 15" a couple of weeks ago for travelling with. Its just a little more manageable!

Rayd
19th April 2005, 04:57 PM
if it helps i convinced my cusin to get a pBook and he saw them all and said tat anything bigger than the 12" is toooo big .. but he just needs it for simple thngs :)

moo
19th April 2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by WonderBoy@Apr 19 2005, 04:14 PM
Well look at the regular AppleStore and then look at the edu AppleStore. The edu AppleStore does not offer the same discount.
Apple's price matching policy means they will match any discount up to 10%.
So if the retail was $2000 and a reseller was asking $1900 Apple would match it but wouldn't go below $1800. The reseller couldn't go this low because he (she) would be losing money.