PDA

View Full Version : App for the car guys - Dynolicious

303-Acid
30th July 2008, 02:59 PM
Dynolicious (http://dynolicious.com/index.html) (web site)
iTunes link (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=286208729&mt=8)

Dynolicious is the first automotive performance meter available for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Dynolicious uses the hardware built-in to your iPhone to measure the performance characteristics of your vehicle. No external wires or equipment is necessary, simply slip the iPhone into a cradle or cupholder and go!

Some of the performance metrics Dynolicious can measure:

* 0-60 Acceleration
* 1/4 Mile Elapsed Time
* Lateral G's
* Horsepower

Unlike other accelerometer-based performance meters, Dynolicious uses the advanced data-handling and display capabilities of the iPhone to make the most of your performance testing. Dynolicious maintains a history of test runs, showing you averages and trends in your results. Dynolicious also allows you to enter modifications performed to your vehicle, and will instantly show before-and-after results to easily identify gains or losses.

I might try and find a cheap itunes card and buy this one. Apparently it's imperial only at the moment, hopefully metric is coming.

http://dynolicious.com/images/screenshot1.gif

azenis
30th July 2008, 03:02 PM
To be remotely accurate, the iphone would have to be mounted very firmly to your dash, proabably perfectly vertically as well. It would certainly not be allowed to move, as it will effect the reading. Interested to see if its any good though!

marc
30th July 2008, 03:07 PM
WOW.

That's very cool.

Accuracy

* 0-60 MPH: +/- 0.08 sec*
* Quarter Mile: +/- 0.10 sec*, +/- 1.5 MPH*

*Results based on preliminary testing. A detailed accuracy analysis using professional timing equipment at a regulation dragstrip will be posted soon.
Nice.

azenis
30th July 2008, 03:10 PM
I guess it would require GPS to do these measurements, therefore I really doubt it would be all that accurate... think I will stick with my Apexi RSM ;)

marc
30th July 2008, 03:17 PM
Doesn't use GPS... uses the accelerometers.

And yeah, I'm sure it wouldn't come close to pro testing gear!

peterz
30th July 2008, 03:20 PM
Interesting app, I'll make the purchase when I get an iPhone.. just for the novelty factor.

I don't trust any timing gear that's based in my car! ;)

azenis
30th July 2008, 03:36 PM

It would have to use the GPS to know vehicle speed and distance travelled. Accelerometer wont measure that... surely...

arkenstone
30th July 2008, 03:42 PM
There's a very similar app floating around for PC that used a Wii Remote to do the same measurements (bluetooth accelerometer goodness)

zmit
30th July 2008, 03:43 PM
the guys on Hackint0sh (forbidden word on these forums?) have been developing this sort of thing for the 1st gen. i have the original 'gtech' which is what this app is based on, and that is accurate enough using accelerometers.

the hackintosh guys hadnt quite got it stable and working too well yet, but there were a HELL of a lot of formulas getting thrown around.

obviously now that the iphone has opened up to developers.... these guys have whipped this out of the shed.

downloading and installing ASAP :D

azenis. the accelerometers CAN measure that stuff. purely based on the readings it gets. its a result of the relationship between distance, speed and acceleration.
this is all assuming that the car was at rest to start with (which is the point of a quarter mile!)

toholio
30th July 2008, 04:25 PM
It would have to use the GPS to know vehicle speed and distance travelled. Accelerometer wont measure that... surely...

I'm not convinced it'd be as accurate as they claim but if you know your acceleration and travel duration you can work out speed.

Would take a small amount of vector maths and some calculus (remember kids, v = integral(a dt). Hooray for physics! )

azenis
30th July 2008, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I reckon there would be a fair bit of guestimation too ;) The RSM I have in my car has an accelerometer or G sensor and it also takes a signal from the ECU from the speedo and tacho wires, its pretty accurate. If they release a version of this that works in metric measurements I will get it and compare the two. Should be interesting.

delux
30th July 2008, 04:54 PM
I can see this coming in handy to settle many arguments over who's car is faster.

someguy
30th July 2008, 05:04 PM
I have an ipod dock mounted on my dash in my subaru which is hooked up to my stereo.

So it keeps my iphone up straight and firm so I must try this and see if it works

zmit
30th July 2008, 07:40 PM
ive downloaded it. tested it a little in a few cars.
so far it seems pretty accurate in regards to speed.

but the interface is stunning! lots of options, you can add many 'rides', it logs all of the results, makes a day average and a vehicle average.

definitely better than i expected.... but at $16..... im not QUITE sure if its worth it completely..... definitely worth $10 at least.

will test it a bit more later.

oh. and the metric thing will obviously be a simple update later on.

303-Acid
30th July 2008, 07:45 PM
I'm getting more tempted to get it. I need to test the performance of my postie! ;)

cowzy
30th July 2008, 07:49 PM
this looks pretty damn interesting, be good if there was some kind of "try before you buy" trial option or something, much like how some apps have a "lite" version and a "full" version.

markpalavra
30th July 2008, 07:53 PM
I'm surprised it is that accurate (if indeed it is).

someguy
30th July 2008, 09:29 PM
I just bought into the temptation and got it.

Just went for a quick drive and really pulled the car into our streets roundabout (made sure no other cars around) and it is really accurate it can sense acceleration and braking really well.

Its well worth the money and can't wait for a metric system version

zmit
30th July 2008, 09:36 PM
the good thing is.... its a simple update when they do :)

(ive already lodged my interest in the metric option)

mitty
30th July 2008, 09:42 PM
Cool... would it work on a plane?

mattmac
30th July 2008, 10:14 PM
Very nice App, Interested to try it soon in my 5.7L :D

303-Acid
30th July 2008, 10:24 PM
To those of you who have it, post screen shots of your stats!

zmit
30th July 2008, 10:31 PM
mitty.... yes it would...... but you would have to have it running from take-off.... and thats provided they even stop before take-off....

so basically... slim chance.

i havent worked out screenshots yet :D
... never mind... found it :)

markpalavra
31st July 2008, 01:04 PM
mitty.... yes it would...... but you would have to have it running from take-off.... and thats provided they even stop before take-off....

so basically... slim chance.

I've had a few flights where the plane stopped at the beginning of the runway, and then hammered it down. Thats my favourite part of a flight, it is the only time it feels like you're travelling fast. I swear we're just floating sometimes when we are up at altitude!

zmit
31st July 2008, 03:37 PM
that is true... but thats provided the airport is on time :p

back to the app. ive been playing with the 'skidpan' part of it.
ITS AWESOME!
gives you acceleration Gs, braking Gs, and lateral Gs!

(my crappy car has only managed 0.9g for lateral.... and much less for acceleration... )

i set it up in the windscreen cradle and just left that on during the drive....
good fun.

Bart Smastard
31st July 2008, 03:45 PM
How the hell does it measure 0-60 etc by accelerometers?

Surely this could be done using GPS? A cool feature would be to add a plot of a route along with stats relating to that. Times, G's through corners etc... just as long is it doesn't record the date and time of said journey, lest that be used against you in a court of law ;)

lbeaumont
31st July 2008, 03:57 PM
How the hell does it measure 0-60 etc by accelerometers?

Surely this could be done using GPS? A cool feature would be to add a plot of a route along with stats relating to that. Times, G's through corners etc... just as long is it doesn't record the date and time of said journey, lest that be used against you in a court of law ;)

Simple. As toholio said, all it has to do is used simple math to integrate the Acceleration graph to product Velocity. It could be done by GPS, but I am willing to bet the Accelerometer is more accurate, as the GPS in my iPhone cant get an exact pinpoint location, but rather a 50m radius.

peterz
31st July 2008, 04:04 PM
They've actually managed to do this with Wii motes (a while ago)... I believe it was on sportszcars.net (http://www.vwvotrex.com) ...

Bart Smastard
31st July 2008, 04:08 PM
Simple. As toholio said, all it has to do is used simple math to integrate the Acceleration graph to product Velocity. It could be done by GPS, but I am willing to bet the Accelerometer is more accurate, as the GPS in my iPhone cant get an exact pinpoint location, but rather a 50m radius.

Sorry, can you say that again in English :p

What's confusing me is that I can see how it would work if the acceleration was constant but to get from 0-60 there would be deceleration at each gear change (even if you're an absolute gun on the shifts) and I thought this would produce inaccuracies in the calculation.

peterz
31st July 2008, 04:17 PM
Sorry, can you say that again in English :p

What's confusing me is that I can see how it would work if the acceleration was constant but to get from 0-60 there would be deceleration at each gear change (even if you're an absolute gun on the shifts) and I thought this would produce inaccuracies in the calculation.

That's why there's a margin of error, and they're not "100% accurate" I guess.

Bart Smastard
31st July 2008, 04:50 PM
That's why there's a margin of error, and they're not "100% accurate" I guess.

0-60 MPH: +/- 0.08 sec*
Quarter Mile: +/- 0.10 sec*, +/- 1.5 MPH* *Results based on preliminary testing. A detailed accuracy analysis using professional timing equipment at a regulation dragstrip will be posted soon.

They claim only +/- 0.08 second inaccuracy but I have my doubts. I'd expect that kind of discrepancy for every gear change.

It'll be interesting to see the comparison to "professional timing equipment".

And I'm not alone in my confusion. The guys at Top Gear are equally befuddled (http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/3088/) :)

This is the Dynolicious application, a program for the iPhone and iTouch from BunsenTech. Basically, it uses the accelerometer in your iThingy to measure 0-60mph times, lateral Gs and even horsepower.
We're not quite sure how it'll manage the latter, but apparently it's got something to do with kerbweight and acceleration and, erm, the tide times. It sounds like witchcraft to us.

:)

jamesatfish
31st July 2008, 05:24 PM
WARNING - LONG RAMBLING TECHNICAL POST WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT BE GROUNDED IN SCIENTIFIC FACT

The accuracy of this software (or similar physical devices, such as the G-Tech range of products) depends on a few factors:

1. The positioning of the iPhone or other device. The most important factor is to keep the iPhone fixed firmly in the car, so that the accelerometer only moves because of the movement of the car, not the movement of the iPhone within the car.

2. The frequency of the mathematic updates. As others have pointed out, integrating a 0-100 time from acceleration figures requires performing mathematic calculations at various intervals as follows:

* Assume starting speed of 0kph and starting distance of 0m.
* After 'n' seconds (where 'n' should be something like 0.001 for updates every millisecond), get the relevant acceleration value from the iPhone
* Using integral calculus, figure out the current speed based upon the starting speed and the acceleration during that time period
* Using another integral equation, figure out the current distance based upon the starting distance and the acceleration during that period
* Start again with new 'starting' speed and distance figures

3. The quality of the acceleration data. The iPhone gives 3 acceleration values (for X, Y and Z axes). If the iPhone is perfectly vertical, and the acceleration is perfectly straight, the ideal situation would be that all the car's acceleration is reflected along only one axis as the absolute acceleration value. If the iPhone is not perfectly vertical, the equation needs to compensate for the fact that the car's acceleration will be represented in the iPhone by acceleration along more than one axis.

4. The 'flatness' of the road. If you are interested in the performance of your car then you should be interested in the acceleration on a perfectly flat road - a downhill slope makes the car seem quicker and an uphill slope just hurts your ego. A GPS/Accelerometer combined device can use the accelerometer to determine the slope of the road and 'adjust' the GPS based speed reading accordingly; obviously this is harder in an accelerometer-only device as you can't separate the acceleration by the car's engine from the acceleration by the slope of the road.

To address particular queries from other posts:

* If the value of 'n' is small enough (ie the calculation is performed for example once per millisecond) then things like gear changes won't be an issue in terms of accuracy - the acceleration figures taken during changes will just be lower (or negative) compared to those under power and the equation will adjust accordingly.

It's only when 'n' gets too large that things like gear changes could become an issue. For instance, imagine 'n' was 1 (such that the equation only occurs once every second). Even with a manual gearbox I'm sure most people could execute a single-plane (1-2 or 3-4) gear shift in less than 1 second. If the iPhone takes an acceleration sample just as you are about to change, and then you spend the next 0.9 seconds changing gears (with much lower acceleration) before the iPhone takes another sample just after the gear change, then the period of reduced acceleration during gear changes would not be accounted for by the application.

* Each equation introduces a margin of error (from combining acceleration across multiple axes, floating point rounding, changes in acceleration between samples). The more equations, the more inaccurate the figures displayed by the application. If we assume that the developers tested their application on a reasonably quick car (let's say 5 sec 0-100 - after all why would car enthusiast iPhone developers own slower cars?) and the app can sample every 1 millisecond then the calculation is introducing 0.016ms of error every sample.

Over that car's 0-100 time (5 sec) that's where the 0.08 sec accuracy comes from. If your car takes 7 sec 0-100 (eg a stock hot hatch like a VW Polo GTI) then the accuracy is more like 0.12 sec. Over longer distances (like quarter-miles or standing kilometers) the error becomes worse. For that hot hatch (quarter mile in about 16 sec, standing KM in about 29 sec) the errors are 0.25 sec and 0.46 sec.

If anyone in Canberra or nearby has purchased this application and wants to compare it to semi-professional timing equipment (the RaceLogic Performance Box / Drift Box products as used by people like Motor Magazine in their performance testing and Porsche in their GT3 road car Sport Driving School) I'd be happy to volunteer car and/or timing equipment to compare to the iPhone app.

zmit
31st July 2008, 05:41 PM
wow. top gear (or the editor of that article!) has no idea how horsepower is related to acceleration. (which is easy, provided you have a mass of the car as well)
plus, this sort of thing was being developed for over 6 months on another forum!
i feel sorry for the guys :( as they put in a lot of effort...

DarkSpark
1st August 2008, 09:31 AM

But it ISN'T pro testing gear. It is a phone and this is an application for it... The simple fact that it can be done using the accelerometer should astound you guys... Like in all honesty it might not be PERFECT but it would have too be pretty damn close... And for getting a basic a idea it should suffice...

sendai
1st August 2008, 11:20 AM
They claim only +/- 0.08 second inaccuracy but I have my doubts. I'd expect that kind of discrepancy for every gear change.
A gear change is just a period of during which the acceleration profile changes, it'll also occur within many samples; which the app will (should,) display as a huge dip in the acceleration graph (as deceleration.)

...and the app can sample every 1 millisecond then the calculation is introducing 0.016ms of error every sample.

Over that car's 0-100 time (5 sec) that's where the 0.08 sec accuracy comes from. If your car takes 7 sec 0-100 (eg a stock hot hatch like a VW Polo GTI) then the accuracy is more like 0.12 sec. Over longer distances (like quarter-miles or standing kilometers) the error becomes worse. For that hot hatch (quarter mile in about 16 sec, standing KM in about 29 sec) the errors are 0.25 sec and 0.46 sec.From that we can work out that the app (or the iPhone,) takes a sample every 5ms to get the 0.08sec error over a 0-60MPH. What's interesting is that the quarter mile is accurate to within 0.1sec, so it may be that the iPhone is capable of greater accuracy but that the app is not able to exploit that accuracy over the distance travelled in a 0-60MPH.

But it ISN'T pro testing gear. It is a phone and this is an application for it... The simple fact that it can be done using the accelerometer should astound you guys... Like in all honesty it might not be PERFECT but it would have too be pretty damn close... And for getting a basic a idea it should suffice...This is a fairly obvious use for an accelerometer equipped device. I'm still waiting for the bluetooth/wifi light-sabre app that generates the appropriate noises when your beams cross.

mekaw
2nd August 2008, 12:25 PM
does anyone have any issues calibrating it?

i just got my iphone 3g about 4 days ago so tehre shouldnt be any errors with the phone i dont think but i cant seem to calibrate the damn thing. when i go to calibrate, hit start calibration. it shows the box and says this end up and i point that up and it wont move anywhere else from there....

i suppose you would need to calibrate to get proper results?

azenis
2nd August 2008, 06:52 PM
I might buy this tonight, and if I get a chance I will go out tomorrow and do some comparative runs against my Apexi RSM (http://www.racinglab.com/aprsrevmet.html) which uses accelerometer/g-sensor and input from the cars ECU (Speed and RPM) and is programmed with weight and tyre size.

Mutters
2nd August 2008, 07:15 PM
I might buy this tonight, and if I get a chance I will go out tomorrow and do some comparative runs against my Apexi RSM (http://www.racinglab.com/aprsrevmet.html) which uses accelerometer/g-sensor and input from the cars ECU (Speed and RPM) and is programmed with weight and tyre size.

And I bet they'll be within a bee's you know what!

We used to use accelerometers extensively for performance testing after finding that a clunky strapped on 5th wheel was not any more accurate - so just plug and play:)

mutters

dixon
2nd August 2008, 07:17 PM

How much does you apexi rsm cost?
I say this because im assuming your expecting a $16 app to do the same job.
Im not attacking you, and sure the iphone is expensive but it also works on touch which are fairly cheap.
Your apexi doesn't make calls, play music or videos, nor can you browse the net.
At the end of the day its an app to have some fun with, id buy it simply for that.

azenis
2nd August 2008, 07:35 PM
So we have Mutters expecting it (the iphone app) to be accurate, and dixon expecting it to probably not be accurate.... hmmmm ;)

Dont know what RSMs go for these days. I paid around 400 for mine tho years back. And no, i am not expecting the iphone to be as accurate.

Gonna be an interesting test. My money will always be on the RSM or some "real" testing gear...

Hey mutters who are "we"?

dixon
2nd August 2008, 07:56 PM
Hey I'm not saying it wont be accurate. I was just saying its $16.
I agree that it would be interesting to compare it to a dedicated device.

azenis
2nd August 2008, 08:00 PM
Cool. We shall see how it goes then!

303-Acid
2nd August 2008, 08:22 PM
There's a couple more similar apps I see. gMeter $11.99 and g-tac $5.99. gMeter has metric, g-tac looks crap. Dynolicious still looks the goods.

DaveOZ
2nd August 2008, 08:22 PM
You sure the Imp will make it to 100? :p

I have a Performance Box which uses GPS and Acc to do lap timing and track mapping along with the other stuff this App does. I'm hoping they will develop this App to do similar stuff, then I will buy it.

Mutters
2nd August 2008, 09:47 PM
Hey mutters who are "we"?

"We" used to be a well known aussie motoring magazine - now defunct.

mutters

azenis
2nd August 2008, 11:05 PM
You sure the Imp will make it to 100? :p

HAHA the Imp doesnt go at the moment. The ImpREZA, however, no problemo, and thats what the RSM is in ;)

303-Acid
5th August 2008, 09:53 AM
I got a response re metric support:

Thank you for your interest in Dynolicious.

We are currently implementing metric support, and will have it
available as a free update in the very near future.

Best Regards,
Justin Morgenthau
BunsenTech LLC

shiny
5th August 2008, 02:07 PM
HAHA the Imp doesnt go at the moment. The ImpREZA, however, no problemo, and thats what the RSM is in ;)

Imp as in Hillman Imp, man I love those cars, my Dad had a heap but sold em all :(

Back on topic, this app looks great, very tempted to buy and give it a try.

azenis
5th August 2008, 02:14 PM
Yup Hillman Imp GT Nigels Hillman Imp GT (http://www.impgt.com) is my build blog. Great little cars!

Im getting it just as soon as a metric version gets released....

zmit
5th August 2008, 03:23 PM
weak :p
conversions arent that hard....

ive tried the app out on a car rally that we just had up here. the Rejex rally (play on the redex rally obviously)

in an S2000, lotus exige, honda integra, VL calais turbo, gemini, and a few others....

one event was a quarter mile time on a dirt WW2 airstrip..... the biggest problem i had was with the starts. it seemed to be triggered very very easily... even with the trigger up at 0.2g... still started up to 10 seconds earlier than the actual launch.
my testing in my car was fine, got fairly accurate mph readings (judged off taking off from the lights and going to 80kph)

i think ill play around with the calibration a bit more.

i think i got a fairly accurate hp reading too :) heh. how does 57hp atw sound? :p

(the money goes to camera gear and tech gear more than the car!)

Mutters
8th August 2008, 04:59 PM
Yup Hillman Imp GT Nigels Hillman Imp GT (http://www.impgt.com) is my build blog. Great little cars!

Im getting it just as soon as a metric version gets released....

Azenis

You may want to wait a little longer.

I bought the app a couple of days ago and couldn't calibrate it.

Apparently there's a fix coming for that in the next week - don't know about the metric version.

mutters

azenis
8th August 2008, 05:03 PM
Happy days... I shall wait and see then, thanks for the tip mate.

Dakah3
8th August 2008, 07:09 PM
Guys on Gizmodo have a link to a video of a dyno test and quarter mile test using dynoliscous and a pro tech meter. Video unfortunately has a bit of advertising in it.
The iphone kills it.

US$13 iPhone App Faces Off Against, Embarrasses US$150 Dedicated Dynometer - Gizmodo Australia (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/08/13_iphone_app_faces_off_against_embarrasses_150_de dicated_dynometer-2.html#more)

303-Acid
14th August 2008, 09:55 AM
Looks like it's been updated with metric support. I may have to purchase it now :)

TheChad
14th August 2008, 06:32 PM
Yep metric works sweet, although it doesn't update previous runs.

This is an awesome app!

Holden Caulfield
14th August 2008, 10:28 PM
Cool, will get the metric update now. I got the App a couple of weeks ago but just haven't had the time to get to my private test track.

macaholic
14th August 2008, 10:34 PM
... my private test track.

and which industrial estate is that?

303-Acid
14th August 2008, 10:39 PM
How are you guys sercuring your ipod Touch/iPhone??

denwol
14th August 2008, 10:43 PM
acc=vel/time so if a car is acc for a peiod of time you can work out the velocity.
vl=dis/time so with vel, it can work out the distance it has moved. When the acc slows and then increases during gear changes, it is easy to work out the distance that it has gone. Does this make sense?

Holden Caulfield
16th August 2008, 05:22 PM
and which industrial estate is that?

That would be telling. :p

Here's a LINK (http://www.ausmotive.com/2008/08/15/iphone-apps-dynolicious.html) to an interesting dyno/drag strip comparison to the Dynolicious software.

crimespree
18th August 2008, 09:28 PM
i got this and have had one play, was 0.1 off factory quoted time with an extra person in the car so i reckon it is pretty much spot on.

opilot87
19th August 2008, 03:31 PM
I wouldnt rely on factory times, they can be a bit optimisitc at times, and vary on a lot of factors. None the less it does seem pretty accurate.

Ollie

crimespree
19th August 2008, 03:45 PM
i hear you but german factory times are a lot better than optimistic aussie times and pretty predicable with an auto, compares the same as most euro publications

zmit
19th August 2008, 06:12 PM
updates out......

the download was screwed.... and now ive lost my copy of dynolicious.
reported it to apple.

didnt want to "test" if i could download it again.... in case it takes another $16

edit: fixed that issue... but now i have the (apparently infamous) 0xE800002E error..... and cant update it

Turps
24th August 2008, 09:37 PM
Havent brought Dyno yet. But I did see that there is now a G-Tac app that is only $5.

zmit
24th August 2008, 11:34 PM
i would straight up say that it will do approximately 20% of what Dynolicious does.......

update was all fixed (got 5 free songs for reporting it to apple for some reason too)

metric is great :D

f1_power
24th August 2008, 11:37 PM
I have this - and its absolutely brilliant :D

zmit
25th August 2008, 12:00 AM
i need a stiffer mount though :(
the windscreen mount isnt firm enough...

303-Acid
25th August 2008, 01:50 PM
We need screenshots of runs!!!

Kompiler
25th August 2008, 10:33 PM
Oops, wrong one. Hang on.

peterz
26th August 2008, 09:31 AM
I haven't been able to get it to work in my WRX yet... I've tried it three times now, one time it didn't record anything really, peak power reading of 34kw... I think it picked up my wheel spin, when I got traction it stopped recording pretty much.

Another time I ran 10.44 @ 169.7 MPH, I thought my car was fast but not that fast. Haha. 0-60 was 3.74 sec...

Right. Have you guys played with the settings at all? Something is amiss... Really want to get this working, as I have run my car at the strip and know what it's capable of... want to see how accurate it is, and measure my 0-100!

Kompiler
26th August 2008, 10:41 AM
Fixing up link

f1_power
26th August 2008, 10:57 AM
Mounting is critical - I use a $8 eBay window mount for my 2G iPhone but it does the job.

I have some very accurate results from my Commodore but not entirely sure if I should post them in case we have some resident members of the boys in blue around! :p

peterz
26th August 2008, 11:02 AM
I mounted it correctly in my car - I wrapped bubble wrap around the iPhone ( I can still get to touch screen) and it sits upright in a cup holder in my console. It doesn't move at all.
Facing forward of course...
:(

303-Acid
26th August 2008, 04:48 PM
Mounting is critical - I use a $8 eBay window mount for my 2G iPhone but it does the job.

I have some very accurate results from my Commodore but not entirely sure if I should post them in case we have some resident members of the boys in blue around! :p

Why would they come around? It's legal to do a run on a private track.

rocketxr
27th August 2008, 06:48 AM
There is a very good article on AusMotive with a link to a video by Garage419 who run a dyno/quarter mile/G-Tech comparison and they seem suitably impressed.
AUSmotive.com iPhone Apps - Dynolicious (http://www.ausmotive.com/2008/08/15/iphone-apps-dynolicious.html)

zmit
27th August 2008, 11:22 AM
what was it? 0.01 seconds off as opposed to 0.5 from the g-tech i think.

tested in a mini at 15.6 (ish?) seconds.

ONE of my runs.... :p

good ol' corolla...... can go for 350,000km without a hitch!
.... thats because it does it slowly...

http://www.zmit.info/webimages/dyno1.jpg

303-Acid
1st September 2008, 11:16 AM
Well I've finally got some cheap iTunes cards and bought the app. I had the skidpan on during the drive to work this morning. I'm looking forward to having some fun with this! I hope to do a run soon and will post some screenies :)

opilot87
1st September 2008, 08:04 PM
Ur gonna have a tough time beating zmit's time :-P

Im getting my car converted to gas in a week or so, will do a before and after to see the effect. Should be interesting

Ollie