PDA

View Full Version : How many people that bought an 8gb iPhone now wish they held out for a 16gb?

LXBren
30th July 2008, 12:03 PM
Just noticed I only have about 11gb of free space on my iPhone and I have little music on it ATM. Got me wondering about ppl that bought an 8gb and if they regretted not getting the bigger 16gb iPhone.

WhiteiPhone
30th July 2008, 12:13 PM
everyone wants a 16gb, but i dont even see the point of it.
i got it as i wanted white (:

i have around 60GB of music on my mac and my iPhone has only 2GB's on it

bartron
30th July 2008, 12:27 PM
well I can't talk about the iphone yet as I don't have one...I have an 8gb iPod touch though and found that it mostly remains empty. When I did fill it up about 90% of the songs went unplayed so now I only put the albums on it that I feel like listening to and change it every so often.

At the moment I have no songs and one movie.

IfI had 16gb even more of it would be empty.
...overkill for my needs but perhaps not for others.

arkenstone
30th July 2008, 12:30 PM
I'm on the other side - I use about 14gig of my 16gig iPhone and I think i've been pretty conservative with what I've put on it.

I'd hate to be restricted by 8gig and I'm amazed how many people seem to be making do with just 8gig - sure, it's a hell of a lot for a phone but it's not much for a PMP.

Mohawk
30th July 2008, 12:40 PM
Video was my main concern in regards to the 8GB iPhone, but with the current memory size options being so small, I was always intent on getting the largest version available. But having just converted some videos using iSquint (a South Park episode, 12 episodes of Flight of the Conchords, and the 3 parts series Dr. Horrible) the total file size was only 700MB, that's a lot of video right there. All converted on medium settings (Dr. Horrible on High).

With the pile of music I have on mine, the Apps I've downloaded, some photo's I've taken, and now including the videos I've put on, I still have 6GB free. So I think many people should be able to live with 8GB, they would just have to be less lazy ;)

Me? I'm very lazy, and would prefer to ignore my gadgets when I'm not using them instead of rotating their content each week.
I'm happy with 16GB for now, but I would love to be able to keep everything on my iPhone, bring on 64GB!

reemixx
30th July 2008, 12:56 PM
I think it comes down to whether you use your iPhone as an iPod or not.

Those who just want phone functions, PDA functions, a few others apps, some games, etc, would be fine with 8GB. Apps generally don't take up much space.

Those who want lots of music, videos, podcasts, photos, other media, etc, would generally go for a 16GB or feel a bit limited with the 8GB.

I tend to have about 2GB of free space on my iPhone at any one time, but I use it as my iPod for music + video. If I carried around a separate iPod, then sure, an 8GB iPhone would have been fine.

Depends on people's personal use.

Japester
30th July 2008, 01:11 PM
If you've got a Classic, then all this becomes moot. I've got a 160Gb which I use at work to play music. It's got all my music on it. I rarely use my iPhone for iPod functions (mostly to play video podcasts on the way home), and certainly not at work. I don't have shielded speakers.

My iPod solution centres on the Classic. It has everything. I then have a 4Gb Nano which has all my podcasts, with the rest of the space filled by music ordered by last added, which means it's got all the music added in the last 1-2 weeks. I follow the same pattern with my iPhone. I've got lots of apps but it's surprising how little space they take up.

jonargall
30th July 2008, 01:17 PM
TB is the new GB.

Mohawk
30th July 2008, 01:24 PM
TB is the new GB.

Then Flash Memory still has a long way to go :D

SubElement
30th July 2008, 01:52 PM
TB is the new GB.

Amen to that, 2TB on my PC and Counting...

In regards to the iPhone, if they released a 32GB model at launch I would have got that because it could actually house all of my music. I see no point in getting the 16GB when it can't hold it all, so I choose the 8GB and I'm in the process of making a playlist of my favorite music which will go on my iPhone.

par3182
30th July 2008, 02:03 PM
But having just converted some videos using iSquint (a South Park episode, 12 episodes of Flight of the Conchords, and the 3 parts series Dr. Horrible)

You have excellent taste, Mohawk.

cowzy
30th July 2008, 02:30 PM
Happy with my 8gb. iPod is for all my music anyway.
iPhone is for a few music playlists and music vids and tv episodes :D

Mohawk
30th July 2008, 02:36 PM
You have excellent taste, Mohawk.

oh thanks for reminding me, I forgot to add: Barbie as the Island Princess.

SubElement
30th July 2008, 02:43 PM
(a South Park episode, 12 episodes of Flight of the Conchords, and the 3 parts series Dr. Horrible)

You know what sucks, actually want to PAY for Dr. Horrible, but it's not in our god damn iTunes, screw you Joss Whedon!

jonargall
30th July 2008, 02:52 PM
a South Park episode, 12 episodes of Flight of the Conchords, and the 3 parts series Dr. Horrible
I'm very lazy, and would prefer to ignore my gadgets when I'm not using them instead of rotating their content each week.
I'm happy with 16GB for now, but I would love to be able to keep everything on my iPhone, bring on 64GB!

Reading your post, I'm almost crying. We could be brothers.

Mohawk
30th July 2008, 03:19 PM
You know what sucks, actually want to PAY for Dr. Horrible, but it's not in our god damn iTunes, screw you Joss Whedon!

Same here, when I saw the post recommending it, I went straight to the iTunes Store to buy it, but no... only in America... I would love to support this as an alternative to the standard TV model.
Cheaper more varied/specific shows released straight to online media outlets for low prices. It's like the next step from YouTube. I plan on buying it on iTunes if it gets an Australian release, or otherwise purchasing the DVD.

I guess it all depends on how rich your parents are...

wullieb1
30th July 2008, 03:23 PM
I don't use mine as an iPod as its too big for that i think.

I use it for apps only although i would prefer to use it as storage as well.

LXBren
30th July 2008, 05:00 PM

ditto to that.

Although, 100gb would be ideal. I dont watch tv as such anymore I downlaod it all and convert it to my iphone or ipod touch and watch it when I want and add free. Great for exercise on the treadmill or static bike.

jonargall
31st July 2008, 06:30 AM
Same here, when I saw the post recommending it, I went straight to the iTunes Store to buy it, but no... only in America... I would love to support this as an alternative to the standard TV model.

Despair not! I'm pretty sure you can hunt around on eBay (or perhaps elsewhere) and find iTunes US store gift cards for sale. This allows you to start another iTunes account and purchase US stuff. See this thread (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/20/45826-how-get-us-itunes-account-free.html) on a related topic.

nando
31st July 2008, 07:18 AM
I have the white iPhone but found that for commuting I mostly listen to podcasts my wife has the touch 8gb and she too for podcasts when we go on the road we use the classic iPod so really 8gb are enough if u have a classic iPod

benzoenator
31st July 2008, 07:35 AM
The iPhones battery make it a crap iPod, when you want to use it for a communications device in tandem. I carry my 80GB classic with me, and have only synced a few videos onto my 8GB iPhone for when I'm in bed (purely for the bigger screen).

gaehl
31st July 2008, 07:40 AM
Despair not! I'm pretty sure you can hunt around on eBay (or perhaps elsewhere) and find iTunes US store gift cards for sale. This allows you to start another iTunes account and purchase US stuff. See this thread (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/20/45826-how-get-us-itunes-account-free.html) on a related topic.

Also the Dr Horrible crew has stated that they are trying to get it on all the iTunes stores around the world just having fun with the negotiations.

Reubania
31st July 2008, 08:04 AM
I am quite happy with my 8GB iPhone. I desperately wanted the 16GB, with my 80+GB of music alone, I was cutting down on the movies (music videos) and music and photos I could upload to my iPhone.

It was the best thing I could do! Instead, I have uploaded a good selection of all three media PLUS apps, and I have over 600MB free still!! Now I don't even listening to my music on the iPhone, as the Remote app lets me browse through my 10,500+ tunes wirelessly from my Mac to my speakers via AirTunes.

So not at all regretting not holding out on a 16GB.

Spy101
31st July 2008, 08:24 AM
i havent got mine yet but im going for the 16GB iPhone i think i would run out of space straight away if i didnt get it.

maceddy
2nd August 2008, 12:27 PM
I originally wanted to get an 8gig one but boy am I glad I got the 16gig - I started putting DVD movies on the phone and I would've run out of space I had gotten the 8 gig one. Guess who'd be rushing out to get a 32gig if and when it comes out? :P

lavo
2nd August 2008, 12:32 PM
I'm happy with the 8gb. I'll use the iPhone more for the other functions rather than the iPod bits.