PDA

View Full Version : Is your SO a complete luddite?

kevinnugent
29th July 2008, 09:27 PM
So, tonight it's a little cool in western Brisbane. Like about 1 degree...

My SO is heading to bed.

We have a split system air conditioner in the bedroom (one of those funky Art Cool ones)...

When you turn it on via the remote, it chimes. And when you turn it off, it chimes again but a slightly different tune.

Last night I set it all up so that she (the SO) would only have to press the ON button and there would be 26 degrees of lovely heat pumping away into the room.

I'm in my study, and I hear the chime. Lovely. Then another chime. Then another, and quickly followed by a series of about 10 chimes before I go flying down the hallway to find out if she's collapsed on the remote control! :)

Oh no. "It wouldn't turn on!" was the opening statement. Why do you say that? "The light was on, and it was blowing air but it wasn't HOT air straight away". sigh....

I have confiscated the remote. :rolleyes:

Without divulging names and divorce details, do you have a similar story?

cosmichobo
29th July 2008, 09:42 PM
I just love how your post and avatar seem to meld beautifully...

Along semi similar lines... (and only thing I can think of off top of my head) With this cold weather, my fiancée has taken to trying to control the Wii with her hands in her lap... unfortunately the Wii sensor bar doesn't really read so well when it can't actually see the mote...

morn
29th July 2008, 09:46 PM
What does this SO do for you? ie why are you with her?
Just wondering. ;)

conufsed
29th July 2008, 09:47 PM
My wife isn't too bad, she used to complain about the mythtv box we were using, and why can't we have normal tv. We got Foxtel IQ a while back, she likes mythtv now :)

Mind you she was the one who convinced me to order my iphone on launch day (she got one at the same time). I was going to wait the rush out, but I'm glad I didn't it sounds like the wait it still bad

Currawong
29th July 2008, 10:36 PM
My wife is intelligent. I introduced her to Pages, and after simply explaining "check out the tabs in the inspector and the top bar for settings for everything" she had no trouble creating documents. She programs the car satnav too.

Morn: You've never had a girlfriend, have you?

morn
29th July 2008, 10:45 PM
Well... no. Never more than a one night stand. :(

adamd
29th July 2008, 10:55 PM
My aunty was looking for her sunglasses.
She was wearing them, and looking through them.

She has squirted herself in the face with a pretty darn hard blowing garden hose while looking after our house while we were on holiday, then rang us to tell us what she did.

... I could go on for days.

Abaddon
29th July 2008, 11:18 PM
Last night I set it all up so that she (the SO) would only have to press the ON button and there would be 26 degrees of lovely heat pumping away into the room.

26 degrees????? No wonder there's a global warming problem! Buy her some freakin pyjamas. :)

SyncMan
30th July 2008, 06:36 AM
there would be 26 degrees of lovely heat pumping away into the room.

OMG, what wimps. Try a Melbourne winter, I wish we had your weather this morning.

BTW In Melbourne I really don't know if the Lord Mayor is a luddite or not, but he has his own song...

Uv0hhsMKwoI

WholesaleMagic
30th July 2008, 06:43 PM
Well... no. Never more than a one night stand. :(

In DS9, the real Morn is a massive player.

My SO is actually very good with technology. In fact, when she first met me, was so sure of herself that she actually thought she might be better than me. With technology, that is. But I showed her.

After one and a half years of being together, she yesterday admitted that I might be better with technology than her.

Yes! *pumps fist in air*

kevinnugent
30th July 2008, 08:16 PM
OMG, what wimps. Try a Melbourne winter, I wish we had your weather this morning.

Ummm... it was 0 at our house this morning. brrrrrr.....

Blue Water Boy
30th July 2008, 08:34 PM
what is an SO...im a little dense today :D

WholesaleMagic
30th July 2008, 08:45 PM

Significant other.

Zero in Brisbane? Get out of here. Does it really get that cold up there?

Razer
30th July 2008, 09:29 PM
My SO is perfect in every way! I picked her up from work the other day and she was playing DS and I am typing this post on her Macbook Pro ;)

Wally
30th July 2008, 10:10 PM
Oh there's plenty of people who don't know what bytes are...

They don't even know where the power button to their computer is. (I warn most of them to get a Mac, they don't listen and call me once a week with their PC problems)..

Such is life.

Wally

juzz
31st July 2008, 01:46 AM
Oh there's plenty of people who don't know what bytes are...

They don't even know where the power button to their computer is. (I warn most of them to get a Mac, they don't listen and call me once a week with their PC problems)..

Such is life.

Wally

I try and get all my friends to get Macs, but due to the price they all get PCs.

Guess who has to come over and fix (reformat) it when it's riddled with viruses, spyware and runs slower than a snail? Yeah, me.

I should stop doing it to teach them a listen until they pony up the cash to buy a Mac! Especially since Macs have dropped in price since I bought mine.

Taezar
31st July 2008, 09:51 AM
My ex was hopeless with tech. Couldn't even program the IQ and all you had to do was a button. Phones? Didn't sms, never turned on voicemail, used a computer only at work, didn't even have a free email account.
Needless to say we didn't work out...
Well that and his belief that Australia betrayed John Howard. You can only overlook so many flaws ;)

shelly79
31st July 2008, 11:51 AM
I admit I'm not super tech savvy but I can manage most things that I need to. My SO is pretty hopeless though. Back in the days of external modems, he was trying to use his flatmate's computer to send email. He complained he couldn't get the internet to work. Question "did you turn on the modem?" Response "what's a modem?"
I am hoping to convert him to Mac now that there are new intel macs so he'll still be able to run his PC-only work software? His PC laptop is ok for what he does on it but I have to solve any problems instantly which is pretty annoying considering I almost never use a PC so it usually takes me a few minutes to remember how to do things. Plus, I have to update his virus software because he never remembers to do it (and I don't think he even knows how!) I set up his facebook too so that he could contact some friends.

kevinnugent
31st July 2008, 12:04 PM
Significant other.

Zero in Brisbane? Get out of here. Does it really get that cold up there?

I live in the Western Suburbs.... and it was -1 this morning just before 7am. Sometimes (not that often really) it gets bloody cold up here.

conufsed
31st July 2008, 12:07 PM
I live in the Western Suburbs.... and it was -1 this morning just before 7am. Sometimes (not that often really) it gets bloody cold up here.

I'm out west as well, I honestly didn't think it was as cold today as Tuesday morning. Second lost of frost on the windscreen for the week.

kevinnugent
31st July 2008, 12:11 PM
Yeah, for some reason it didn't feel as cold to me either. BOM says so, though.

Chr1s
31st July 2008, 12:13 PM
I think I'm the SO-luddite... If things don't work immediately out of the box, then I would say they're broken. My partner, on the other hand, continually breaks his network drive just so he can put it back together.

The air conditioner and I have had so many issues, that my partner has programmed it to turn on by itself at designated times of the day so I don't even have to try and turn it on!

kevinnugent
31st July 2008, 12:15 PM
My ex was hopeless with tech. Couldn't even program the IQ and all you had to do was a button. Phones? Didn't sms, never turned on voicemail, used a computer only at work, didn't even have a free email account.
Needless to say we didn't work out...
Well that and his belief that Australia betrayed John Howard. You can only overlook so many flaws ;)

My wife is actually pretty good, though, even after my earlier missive.:) She does have a very bad habit though, of trying harder and harder once something doesn't work. Normally to the point of either breaking it or getting frustrated and giving up and asking me to do it. :)

She does not ever show anything but complete support for my technofetishes though, which makes her a 1 in a million.
:thumbup:

Mike Sprawson
31st July 2008, 12:46 PM

The "shorthand" things get me puzzled at times, and when they do I go here;

SO Acronym Meaning (http://www.sharpened.net/glossary/acronym.php?SO)

they don't always have the answer, but this one did.

I use a widget called, "Chat Acronyms."

morn
31st July 2008, 03:37 PM
Phones? Didn't sms, never turned on voicemail

I don't either, until I got an iphone with SMS. Voicemail I don't care about, SMS just offended my sensibilities, I refuse to go through the pain of typing words on a number keypad!

RobD
31st July 2008, 03:42 PM
I wish my SO did think I was a complete luddite. That would mean that he was a techno-genius and could answer all my IT questions, even the really tricky ones, like "Which socket do you want to put your fire-wire plug in today?"

woofy
31st July 2008, 10:04 PM
My wife is pretty good, although addicted to anything Sims related......but at least she can drive decently and not only can use a manual but prefers it....