PDA

View Full Version : Sydney buses are revolting

chrome
29th July 2008, 06:33 PM
Here I sit on another bus home feeling rather queasy. Why? Because after sitting down I noticed several cockroaches heading for my foot. I squished one (knowing that doing so usually spreads eggs everywhere - I couldn't help myself) and the rest scurried away from their fallen filthy brother.

It's absolutely sickening. We're encouraged to use public transport as the "green" option, though in reality many of us have no such choice. Yet the buses are dirty, crowded, unreliable and often driven by people who have no concept or care for such things as passenger comforts.

No wonder people prefer to drive.

</rant>

PatrickH
29th July 2008, 06:51 PM
CityRail should not go astray.

The suburban trains are dreadful.

MrJesseRoss
29th July 2008, 06:55 PM
You should try catching the J1 bus in Adelaide, 9:05pm, Friday night. There's usually a good forty or so people wanting to catch it at the Grenfell St stop, another twenty further down, and ten more outside the hospital.

Despite this being a weekly occurrence, they insist on using the short buses which only hold about half the people wanting to get on, including standing. Quite often you'll get a driver who insists on people standing in the front section without anything to hold on to, just to squeeze more people on, and will shout at everyone to move to the back despite there being no moving room at all.

Of course, one seat will be out of action as someone has thoughtfully soaked it in urine, and if it's Summer, well, the collapsed air conditioning system will allow you to enjoy a busload of body odor.

If you do get a seat, you'll inevitably be joined by a foreign student who will promptly fall asleep on your shoulder, despite you thumping them in the head. There is nothing wrong with this as personal space is overrated. And if you're even luckier and have a seat on the aisle, you'll continually get hit in the face by an obnoxious fat bastard's bag. He won't move, as the exact position he's in is perfect for looking down the top of the sixteen year old girl sitting in front of you.

When you eventually emerge from the bus, the official greeting party of shaven-headed teenage dropkicks will yell at you for cigarettes, cash or just because it makes them feel like big men to harass others in a suburban bus interchange. You might even get to step in some McDonalds chips, or even some spilt beer and Coke, pooling amongst a bus shelter's smashed glass. After a quick shortcut through some mud, as the Adelaide Metro thoughtfully removed a direct path from the interchange to the carpark in favour of a scenic detour that doubles the walk time, you reach your car.

Thank God you get to do it all again tomorrow. It truly is a wonderful system.

dolbinau
29th July 2008, 07:11 PM
Besides overcrowding and unreliability I have not had too many issues with Sydney Busses, although they are all coming out of the Ryde depot. So It's possible things change across the place.

morn
29th July 2008, 08:11 PM
Could be worse.
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5144609,00.jpg

Exocet
29th July 2008, 08:29 PM
When you eventually emerge from the bus, the official greeting party of shaven-headed teenage dropkicks will yell at you for cigarettes, cash or just because it makes them feel like big men to harass others in a suburban bus interchange. You might even get to step in some McDonalds chips, or even some spilt beer and Coke, pooling amongst a bus shelter's smashed glass. After a quick shortcut through some mud, as the Adelaide Metro thoughtfully removed a direct path from the interchange to the carpark in favour of a scenic detour that doubles the walk time, you reach your car.
Its comments like this that make me appreciate Brisbane's Busway system - case in point...King George Square Busway station. Two levels below the city centre...a fully airconditioned bus interchange with two concourse levels linking the platforms. Pics:
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn204/dantheraybanman/Brisbane%20Photoxs/DSC04743.jpghttp://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn204/dantheraybanman/Brisbane%20Photoxs/DSC04746.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn204/dantheraybanman/Brisbane%20Photoxs/DSC04747.jpghttp://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn204/dantheraybanman/Brisbane%20Photoxs/DSC04753.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn204/dantheraybanman/Brisbane%20Photoxs/DSC04755.jpghttp://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn204/dantheraybanman/Brisbane%20Photoxs/DSC04759.jpg

And suburban interchanges like this:
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/7263/370348947544fc13143otm5.jpg

ZacDavies
30th July 2008, 01:09 AM
I blame unions and a lack of proper integration / interest in private industry and competition in awarding contracts

xfodder
30th July 2008, 01:50 AM
Could be worse.
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5144609,00.jpg

ahahaha ... come on it was only a cockroach ... i bet a few crawl around on ya when you are asleep :P ... i suppose you get used to public transport really ... wear some lawn mower protection cuffs then stick your headphone in :)

cockroaches are the least of your worries when on buses ... at least you can squash them :D

WhiteiPhone
30th July 2008, 01:56 AM
cockroaches are the least of your worries when on buses ... at least you can squash them :D

damn right,
whenever i HAVE to catch the bus i always seen to either get a crazy ass bus driver or a stupid one.
plus i never share my seat, and if u do that in the busy times everyone gives you dirty looks :o
but i just watch movies on my iPhone

macrich
30th July 2008, 06:19 AM
I guess I'm lucky, living so far out in far western Sydney, I don't have a bus that could take me to college. What I do have on the other hand is a long slow and painful train trip in and out thanks to cityrail. Either you freeze to death in Winter or you suffocate in the stifling heat in summer.

SyncMan
30th July 2008, 07:31 AM
NSW and Vic Governments don't care about PT like they should.

But sorry by the sounds of this thread, NSW gets the ultimate grand prize for crap PT in the whole of Oz!

Gerbils
30th July 2008, 08:02 AM
Here I sit on another bus home feeling rather queasy. Why? Because after sitting down I noticed several cockroaches heading for my foot. I squished one (knowing that doing so usually spreads eggs everywhere - I couldn't help myself) and the rest scurried away from their fallen filthy brother.

It's absolutely sickening. We're encouraged to use public transport as the "green" option, though in reality many of us have no such choice. Yet the buses are dirty, crowded, unreliable and often driven by people who have no concept or care for such things as passenger comforts.

No wonder people prefer to drive.

</rant>

But there are cockroaches everywhere in Sydney! It's endemic. I used to live there, and even the swankiest apartments had cockroaches.

chrome
30th July 2008, 08:32 AM
The cockroach was just the straw, unfortunately. Half goon's lament being similar to my daily commute.

If only it was just the roaches that bother me.

ZacDavies
30th July 2008, 09:57 AM
As a sydney sider who has used both Brisbane and Melb public transport..
I'm seriously considering moving.. it's that bad

zeddie2001
30th July 2008, 11:00 AM
damn right,
whenever i HAVE to catch the bus i always seen to either get a crazy ass bus driver or a stupid one.
plus i never share my seat, and if u do that in the busy times everyone gives you dirty looks :o

People who don't share their seat on public transport drive me crazy. Honestly, it's hard sometimes not to say something to them, but then I remember the first rule of public transport - never ever talk to someone you don't know unless it's a mumbled half-assed apology or "excuse me".

As for not sharing your seat in the busy times,

http://imagebucket.info/images/wiek4y6gcxu17fex2rng_thumb.gif (http://imagebucket.info/viewer.php?file=wiek4y6gcxu17fex2rng.gif)
Shame on you!!

Kuma
30th July 2008, 11:06 AM
CityRail should not go astray.

The suburban trains are dreadful.

Dude! I caught the Sydney Airport Train (which is daylight robbery on the ticket price).

and there is dried spilt drink everywhere... used tissues on the chair
gum on the floor

I find ticket sitting on the seat next to me... dated 4 days before my journey. Now while it is no indication of cleaning schedule... someone may have dropped it there today... it is pretty disgusting to think that this train hasn't been cleaned in at least 4 days.. (and it looks like it).

I dont think that there is any question Public Transport is in crisis....
and the government doesn't know what to do...

Exocet
30th July 2008, 11:15 AM
damn right,
You're probably a student, which means you're not paying full fare for your (single) seat anyway - and you go ahead and try to claim two seats? Just stay off busses all together, you clearly have no sense of decency or common courtesy.

dolbinau
30th July 2008, 03:09 PM
People who don't share their seat on public transport drive me crazy. Honestly, it's hard sometimes not to say something to them, but then I remember the first rule of public transport - never ever talk to someone you don't know unless it's a mumbled half-assed apology or "excuse me".

As for not sharing your seat in the busy times,

http://imagebucket.info/images/wiek4y6gcxu17fex2rng_thumb.gif (http://imagebucket.info/viewer.php?file=wiek4y6gcxu17fex2rng.gif)
Shame on you!!

Yes. I thought it was called Public transport for a reason!

Alex Morrow
30th July 2008, 03:59 PM
Two and a half years ago, I had a holiday in Sydney. The family stayed at a unit on the North Shore somewhere - can't remember the suburb but it was across the road from North Sydney oval - Mossman?. We used the bus into the city and back a couple of times, and the drivers, when we explained that we were from out of town, were unfailingly helpful. One was North American, to judge by his accent, and one appeared to be of Middle Eastern origin. Both gave us directions, told us where we needed to get off, directed us to other transport and so on. I emailed the Transport people, in the belief that if we complain when service is bad, we should congratulate when it is good.

And as a Queenslander, I might suggest that the reason why the Brisbane railway station and bus station look so pristine is because no one uses them. Everyone uses the Ipswich Motorway instead. (Only half joking.)

Exocet
30th July 2008, 08:57 PM
And as a Queenslander, I might suggest that the reason why the Brisbane railway station and bus station look so pristine is because no one uses them. Everyone uses the Ipswich Motorway instead. (Only half joking.)
Well as somebody who lives in Laidley and only ever travels on the Ipswich Motorway, your view is (only half) skewed. There's an entire city that doesn't live along the BNE-IPW corridor you know - and they all love to use public transport.

Brisbane Public Transport (buses especially) has been experiencing exponential growth in patronage, in part to rising fuel prices but also in part to the massive investment in Infrastructure like the Busway networks (might I add that the pictures I posted are all bus stations, not train stations) making public transport safer, cleaner, and a more viable alternative to car travel.

WholesaleMagic
30th July 2008, 09:16 PM

It is ridiculous to not let someone sit next to you on public transport. It is not your seat, hence it being called public transport. I only put my bag on the seat next to me if there are other seats available (I don't want some smelly bastard sitting next to me when he could be sitting somewhere else). If you're in a packed bus or train, however, it's downright rude to take up two seats.

Thankfully, this is rarely the case for me. I go to the University of Wollongong, and South Coast trains are blessedly uncrowded. I usually get a two 2-seaters for myself, and always get a 3-seater, even at peak hour. Just have to watch out for South Coast bogans.

As for Sydney's public transport, it's downright disgusting. Most politicians are unable or unwilling to do anything about it. Bob Carr pledged to fix it before he retired, but he probably said so because he knew no one would be able to hold him to that promise.

harper
30th July 2008, 11:09 PM
Dude! I caught the Sydney Airport Train (which is daylight robbery on the ticket price).

and there is dried spilt drink everywhere... used tissues on the chair
gum on the floor

I find ticket sitting on the seat next to me... dated 4 days before my journey. Now while it is no indication of cleaning schedule... someone may have dropped it there today... it is pretty disgusting to think that this train hasn't been cleaned in at least 4 days.. (and it looks like it).

I dont think that there is any question Public Transport is in crisis....
and the government doesn't know what to do...

+1

I live within a golf shot of a station on that line and it costs the same for a weekly to go 5 stations as it does to go 15 stations out west... I bought a bike and it was the best $ I have ever spent

cosmichobo
30th July 2008, 11:32 PM
"Brisbane"'s public transport is great. Sure. Totally agree. Love it.

Logan, an outer suburb/former town in its own right/place where the poor and criminally minded live, on the other hand, has the worst public transport in... Brisbane... :)

Sure, can't really compare it to the tales of Sydney... but busses in Logan are NEVER on time, often simply don't show up at all, are a fleet of ancient sticky-taped-together relics from decades-gone-by, often don't have buttons for signalling your desire to get off so you need to yell at the driver when you want the next stop (!), and - did I mention the people living here, that you need to share the service with...

(Of course, anyone else on this forum that lives in Logan would be poor, not criminally minded. Of course.)

To travel from my house to uni (Griffith, Nathan/Mt Gravat campuses) is a 15-25 minute drive, depending on whether it's peak traffic or not. That's by car. By public transport, you're looking at an hour. It's actually quicker travelling all the way into the city from here, than wanting to get half way there, because you need to get off the train and use busses.

I'm using "busses", though for the record, apparently "buses" is also acceptable.

Oh, and Kuma - Absolutely agree with you. As if parking prices aren't bad enough, the airports rob you blind if you try avoid them by training it instead! :(

wolfie
31st July 2008, 12:05 AM
i personally dont understand this airport cost issue by train

SURE its expensive compared to other train lines and cost, but it is part privately owned.
you have 3 options when you head to the airport

train
taxi
drive

taxi will cost you at the minumum the cost of the train From cenral station at the very least.
Driving will cost you the time and petrol, not to mention the OUTRAGEOUS short term and long term parking fees for your car.
Get someone to drive you and IMMEDIATELY leave without parking the car, not even for half a hr stay with you at the airport is your cheapest option.

Kuma
31st July 2008, 01:26 AM
i personally dont understand this airport cost issue by train

SURE its expensive compared to other train lines and cost, but it is part privately owned.
you have 3 options when you head to the airport

train
taxi
drive

taxi will cost you at the minumum the cost of the train From cenral station at the very least.
Driving will cost you the time and petrol, not to mention the OUTRAGEOUS short term and long term parking fees for your car.
Get someone to drive you and IMMEDIATELY leave without parking the car, not even for half a hr stay with you at the airport is your cheapest option.

is it still privately owned? I thought (that like the cross city tunnel) it was privately owned and the owner went bankrupt because people wouldnt pay those outrageous prices....

Here in Japan.. to catch a normal surburban like train from Tokyo to Narita airport.. (some 60 odd kilometers) will cost you the same $$ ($13 of them) that is to travel 60km on privately owned track (taking 85mins). If you want to step up a bit and travel in a bit more class on an express train with a reserved seat its going to cost you just over double and take 60mins.

All I am doing is putting things in perspective. You can travel 60km for less money on a clean and punctual train (which takes 85mins) or you can travel the 12km 18 mins on Sydney Rail for $13.40

BLOODY OUTRAGEOUS,

And just to show you what it is like out there

http://img.skitch.com/20080730-t4qhsxh7i1mbykuyy1ed2xdmhb.jpg

making Sydney one of the most expensive airport rail services in the first world.

I used the cheapest trains available travelling to the city centre.
If I had used the Narita Express the Bang/$$ still scores well into the 100s.
and Singapore is better still I forgot to convert and refund the $1 you get back, it's real score is closer to 410

cosmichobo
31st July 2008, 09:57 AM
I'm curious to know whether the airports do in fact pay for the train infrastructure on their LEASED property... (They don't own the land, only buildings).

If so, ok, maybe it's kind of fair that they rip us off... If not...