PDA

View Full Version : I just lost all my contact details!

digger1914
29th July 2008, 08:59 AM
I can only assume that my phone has synched with .Me and now all contact information for all off my contacts is blank. Their names are there, but there are no addresses, no phone numbers, nothing. My calendar info is all OK

I have checked .Me and all the data is still there. This is freaky.

At least I backed up on Sunday!

Has anyone lese had anything like this happen to them?

Doobsy
29th July 2008, 09:09 AM
I originally synced my iphone with mobileme.
However, after syncing iCal, mail and address book, a couple of contacts that I entered at home, have not synced up to mobileme or my phone.
I synced it again last night through itunes and all my contacts doubled up...
Very annoying. I hope the glitches such as these get sorted.
We have paid for a premium service under the assumption that it would work as described.

leon
29th July 2008, 10:42 AM
See report here. MobileMe: the case of the vanishing iPhone contacts (Update) - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) (http://www.tuaw.com/2008/07/28/mobileme-the-case-of-the-vanishing-iphone-contacts/) Seems like lots of people have had the same problem.

digger1914
29th July 2008, 11:18 AM
See report here. MobileMe: the case of the vanishing iPhone contacts (Update) - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) (http://www.tuaw.com/2008/07/28/mobileme-the-case-of-the-vanishing-iphone-contacts/) Seems like lots of people have had the same problem.

Thanks for that!

I have had a very frustrating morning. I wasted my time calling support, and the fool there kept telling me to plug my phone into my computer. I told him 4 times that I was @ work with no iTunes on our Windoze machines here. I then asked him if the Apple Store could help. Absolutely said he.

Walked up to the store and was told by the "genius" that they could not synch from there and that i had to go home. I asked if there were any known issues with MobileMe causing this. Absolutely not he said. The scary thing was that when the SIM lock request came on after he tried a restart, he seemed never to have seen it before. I explained why I had it turned on, and what it was.

D'oh!

Rant
29th July 2008, 11:36 AM
I have the same problem with my Nano, without any syncing (other than iTunes).

The files are on the Nano (can you see them on the iPhone?), but it refuses to display or recognise the data. iTunes says it syncs them and the files can be opened from the computer, off the iPod 'disk', but the iPod (after many, many restores and a couple of new firmware updates) still won't display the data.

I mention this because the problem might be more fundamental. I sure hope your problem is less intractable than mine, but I offer the info... in case.

digger1914
29th July 2008, 11:55 AM
I have the same problem with my Nano, without any syncing (other than iTunes).

The files are on the Nano (can you see them on the iPhone?), but it refuses to display or recognise the data. iTunes says it syncs them and the files can be opened from the computer, off the iPod 'disk', but the iPod (after many, many restores and a couple of new firmware updates) still won't display the data.

I mention this because the problem might be more fundamental. I sure hope your problem is less intractable than mine, but I offer the info... in case.

I can see the contacts, it is just that all information on them (numbers, adresses, emails etc) is gone.

I am not alone

Apple - Support - Discussions - All of my contacts just went BLANK!! ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1635683)

silverdreamer
29th July 2008, 12:36 PM
I would forget all about it until you get home and can plug into itunes, then call Apple support.

It's a pain I know, but chill out, enjoy your day and sort it out when you get home, it won't be anything major I'm sure

jodihansen
29th July 2008, 01:00 PM
I have had this problem a few times....and I also had it again this morning. I hope that Apple fixes this soon.....in the mean time here is the solution that works for me.

Go 'Settings' -> 'Mail, Contacts, Calendars' -> your MobileMe account -> Turn off Contacts and select 'Stop Syncing' -> then turn on Contacts again.
Do this for Calendars if you have the same issue with Calendars.

digger1914
29th July 2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks Jodi, love 'ya work.

That did the trick!

jodihansen
29th July 2008, 01:41 PM
No worries. :)

I do hope that Apple fix this soon though...I have had it a number of times. The first few times I even did a full restore....I found the above solution when I decided to remove the MobileMe account....but then I wondered what would happen if I turned it on again....and it worked.
At least the above solution allows you to fix it straight on your iPhone even if you are away from your PC.

Glad that I could help.

ellsab
1st April 2009, 11:56 PM
Hi guys, but what happens if you bought your phone, then after a few months wanted backup all your contacts so you go to computer and check out Mobile Me that hasn't been sync yet, and has none of the Iphone contacts in it. You decide to try and see if you can sync to get the contacts from the Iphone to the Mobile Me account, and then in a blink of an eye, the 187 contacts that you had spent so much time inputting over the months had gone, yes completely disappeared. You then searched and tried the turn off sync that many people recommend, but nothing the 5 or so contact I had in Mobile Me as a test was all that was on the Iphone!!!
Cannot beleive Apple does not allow the sync to go from Iphone to Mobile Me???
Is there a way to sync or backup your Iphone contact, calendar etc prior to trying to sync with Mobile Me???
Completely depressed that Apple would allow such an error.

the_doctor
2nd April 2009, 09:53 AM
This is my big worry about syncing my contacts and calendar with Mobile Me. Every now and again whilst on the road and therefore with no access to my computer, all the contacts will just disappear. Now in this day and age I have no idea what anyones numbers are anymore. I know my home, my office, my wife's mobile and my parents home and mobile but no one elses. This leaves me with no way to contact anyone else whilst on the road if Mobile Me has a brain fart.

The problem usually rectifies itself in a few minutes but my big worry is that they disappear one day and never come back. Hopefully this never happens when I am away from my computer for an extended period.