PDA

View Full Version : Outright / Prepaid Prices - Enlighten me!

Beau
28th July 2008, 11:30 PM
Okay, I've looked and looked, but I can't seem to find the price for an 8GB Outright from Telstra.

I'd also like to know how much they are on Vodafone too - I'm still not sure where I should get my iPhone from.

:-)

Telstra;
8GB iPhone - $724 (thanks xpv43!)
16GB iPhone - $847

Unlocking fee - $150

Optus
Prepaid
8GB iPhone - $729
16GB iPhone - $849

Unlocking fee - $80 (or free if you recharge $80 or more, or free after six months)

Vodafone
8GB iPhone - ?
16GB iPhone - ?

Unlocking fee - ?

Much Appreciated :thumbup:

xpv43
28th July 2008, 11:33 PM
Pretty sure the 8GB Telstra ones are about $724 + unlock. And I don't think Vodafone are doing prepaid or outright any more.

decryption
28th July 2008, 11:35 PM
Vodafone and Telstra aren't selling them pre-paid/outright anymore :(

That's what the Vodafone and Telstra stores around the place told me!

Beau
28th July 2008, 11:36 PM
Vodafone and Telstra aren't selling them pre-paid/outright anymore :(

That's what the Vodafone and Telstra stores around the place told me!
Oh damn :-(

xpv43
28th July 2008, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I thought Telstra may have stopped selling them. I guess having 95% of the interest in the phone being from people wanting to unlock it and take it to another network would have been pretty shattering for staff looking for their commission.

Beau
28th July 2008, 11:39 PM
Hmm, I wonder if I went into a Telstra shop and explained that I'm already in a contract (another 18mths to go, damnit), and said that it was cheaper to buy the phone outright than pay out my old contract and sign up for a new one, do you think they'd give it to me?

xpv43
28th July 2008, 11:43 PM
Hmm, I wonder if I went into a Telstra shop and explained that I'm already in a contract (another 18mths to go, damnit), and said that it was cheaper to buy the phone outright than pay out my old contract and sign up for a new one, do you think they'd give it to me?

If you threaten to pay out the contract and leave for Optus, they may prefer to keep you as a customer. Always worth asking. (And asking again...)

khalil
29th July 2008, 11:34 AM
Vodafone has 8gb for $785 and 16gb for $915, but as mentioned above Vodafone wont sell prepaid until demand dies down.

Huy
29th July 2008, 12:19 PM
Yes that 'was' the price.

And $75 unlocking fee for Vodafone.

Lucky for me I got it on the first day they started selling them (through Dick Smith Electronics) in Sydney. $785 for 8GB and $915 for 16 as mentioned.

epaell
29th July 2008, 01:08 PM
I had no problem getting the 8GB iPhone over the counter from a Telstra shop in Sydney (Castle Hill Shopping Centre) last Saturday (it cost me $726) ... now I'm just waiting for the unlocking (which cost $150) to happen - called them Monday and they said it would take up to 72 hours. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised at how friendly the Telstra shop staff and the phone operator were. I've also got a 16 GB phone on order from Optus (which I ordered about 10 days ago) - this ones for myself (the "Telstra" one is for my wife) - although overall it is slightly cheaper from Optus they seem to have nothing in stock and have been less than informative about when they might get some in :-(

iTy
29th July 2008, 05:32 PM
I had no problem getting the 8GB iPhone over the counter from a Telstra shop in Sydney (Castle Hill Shopping Centre) last Saturday (it cost me $726) ... now I'm just waiting for the unlocking (which cost $150) to happen - called them Monday and they said it would take up to 72 hours. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised at how friendly the Telstra shop staff and the phone operator were. I've also got a 16 GB phone on order from Optus (which I ordered about 10 days ago) - this ones for myself (the "Telstra" one is for my wife) - although overall it is slightly cheaper from Optus they seem to have nothing in stock and have been less than informative about when they might get some in :-(

I bought outright today too at T-Life in Sydney, George St. I also got $200 credit on my account to "try out" their network.

Their voice plans are pretty cheap (31c per 30s on a s to s billing and 19c flagfall). You can opt out of the flagfall if you like but this only available on post-paid and call rate drop even cheaper depending on monthly plan.

My issue is that the free WiFi is seemingly not available to Telstra pre-paid.

Beau
29th July 2008, 06:27 PM
So, you can get outright iPhones from some Telstra stores, but not others?

iTy
29th July 2008, 06:37 PM
So, you can get outright iPhones from some Telstra stores, but not others?

Seems that way. I know I couldn't get pre-paid from any of the Sydney CBD Optus stores last week. Things may have changed though

mcargy08
30th July 2008, 05:27 PM
I suggest you go on an optus 19 yes plan. Total cost for 12 months is only 936. And it's free to unlock as well. At least you don't have to pay for the outright price. Your paying it monthly for $78. Which is not bad.

p53
30th July 2008, 05:30 PM
you can also try Next Byte, they seem to have plenty of stock atm and are selling outright Telstra iPhones
I don't know the price of the 8GB at Next Byte, but the 16GB is $1199

Beau
30th July 2008, 07:02 PM
Cheers for the help guys - I'll go into the telstra shop next week, and ask for an outright 16GB :-)

Huy
30th July 2008, 08:19 PM
you can also try Next Byte, they seem to have plenty of stock atm and are selling outright Telstra iPhones
I don't know the price of the 8GB at Next Byte, but the 16GB is $1199

$1199 for a 16GB outright?

What happened to $849... nice profit there. Don't tell me it's just an outright iPhone too nothing else still tied to the Telstra network. :rolleyes:

p53
30th July 2008, 08:46 PM
$1199 for a 16GB outright?

What happened to $849... nice profit there. Don't tell me it's just an outright iPhone too nothing else still tied to the Telstra network. :rolleyes:
yep just the phone, & still locked to Telstra. Bit of a rip off.

Aladdin
30th July 2008, 10:41 PM
Is this just a NextByte ripoff? Or has Telstra upped their prices?

epaell
30th July 2008, 10:59 PM
Is this just a NextByte ripoff? Or has Telstra upped their prices?

It sounds like a rip-off. I just went into the Telstra shop in Castle Hill (Sydney) today and they had 16 GB iPhone in stock (black and white) available for outright purchase at $847. I promptly cancelled my order with Optus (which I've been hanging on for more than two weeks) and got myself one of the 16GB models. The 8GB version that I purchased at the same shop over the weekend is my wifes - it's now unlocked and working beautifully, um, the phone, that is, not my wife ;-)

hydrolix
30th July 2008, 11:07 PM
It sounds like a rip-off. I just went into the Telstra shop in Castle Hill (Sydney) today and they had 16 GB iPhone in stock (black and white) available for outright purchase at $847. I promptly cancelled my order with Optus (which I've been hanging on for more than two weeks) and got myself one of the 16GB models. The 8GB version that I purchased at the same shop over the weekend is my wifes - it's now unlocked and working beautifully, um, the phone, that is, not my wife ;-)

wow, so if that's the case and there seems to be random spots selling outright even on telstra, then it's really not up to the higher ups of telstra to strictly sell it postpaid. Guess it's pot luck and hope that we have a telstra store nearby that sells outright phones. Personally, still waiting "patiently" for Optus to bring in the goods.