PDA

View Full Version : SMS character count

wmyeoh
28th July 2008, 11:27 PM
Anyone have a good workaround on being able to count characters in an SMS? Gets a bit annoying when u go over the limit, esp for the receiver. Don't know if this right but it seems like one line in the bubble is about 30 characters, so if u stick to 5 lines or less, you should b right. Anyone got any better ideas?

matthewk
28th July 2008, 11:42 PM
No ideas except give Apple feedback on this issue. But why is it more annoying for the reciever? Except that now I can send 2 or 3 pages really easily which I suppose they read.

marc
28th July 2008, 11:58 PM
All fairly recent phones should receive these as one long message. Shouldn't really be an issue, except for the extra cost to send...

wmyeoh
29th July 2008, 08:47 AM
I was thinking about my poor folks whose old school phones don't automatically combine texts - very confusing for the old fellas!

fishinthecity
29th July 2008, 09:00 AM
I reckon the telco's are rubbing their hands together as they watch the dollars fly in from all the extra SMS's people are sending now.. I know that I now tend to write quite long SMS messages at times, well over the 160char limit, and I do that quite regularly.. Why? Because it is now so easy to do with the on-screen keyboard..

timjeffries
30th August 2008, 12:19 AM
Does anyone know of any apps that do sms that can count characters? I never go over my cap anyway, but I hate not knowing if I'm sending txts that are 161 chars ...

Huy
30th August 2008, 12:22 AM
Just try to keep them to 5 lines in length. That's what I do.

benzoenator
30th August 2008, 09:33 AM
I reckon the telco's are rubbing their hands together as they watch the dollars fly in from all the extra SMS's people are sending now.. I know that I now tend to write quite long SMS messages at times, well over the 160char limit, and I do that quite regularly.. Why? Because it is now so easy to do with the on-screen keyboard..

Agreed, but I reckon they're making their money the other way. When you look at SMSing on the iPhone, how much does it remind you of IM clients, like AIM or MSN? I know that I tend to send one line responses to texts, because it just feels like MSN (where I normally write no more than about five or six words per message).

Huy
30th August 2008, 09:36 AM
So true benzoenator! I've been known just to say 'ok'. :o