PDA

View Full Version : Dial-up Screws With Smb

yaymichael
18th April 2005, 10:24 PM
I have a powerbook at home connected to a couple of PCs on a small network. The network is setup manually with individual machines having a 10.0.0.x IP and Subnet 255.255.0.0. SMB networking is setup so that the Mac can browse the PC shares in 'Network' and my Mac share shows up in Network Neighbourhood.

My problem is that when I establish a dial-up connection to the Internet, all browseable shares disappear from the 'Network' window, although I can still connect by typing in the address directly in 'Connect to Server'. Also, in Sharing preferences the address which it says windows computers can connect to my computer changes from \\10.0.0.x\me to \\dip-1234-really.longISP-IPaddress\me which is not very helpful.

Anyone else seen this, or know how to fix?
much obliged...

feeze
18th April 2005, 10:46 PM
Actually I noticed a very similiar thing today as well. I have a Win XP machine (bob) that I connect directly via ethernet. My Mac is also connected to a wireless network. When the wireless network is off my iBook can see bob, but when the airport is turned on, bob dissapears. I can still connect through the connect to option though. Strange.

Danamania
18th April 2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by yaymichael@Apr 18 2005, 10:24 PM
Anyone else seen this, or know how to fix?
much obliged...
This is just a wild arsed guess, but go into system preferences->networking and change the order of the network interfaces around. If dialup is first and ethernet 2nd, swap them over by dragging the top one down.

can't hurt, and it's easily reversable :D

dana

yaymichael
19th April 2005, 02:33 PM
:thumbdn:

Good idea, but no dice sorry!

purana
19th April 2005, 03:40 PM
I reckon its due to the fact that when you dialup.. your default route goes from being the local lan, to being the dialup interface. And this should happen as you can't use the internet without a default route. But the changing of it could be part of it. Infact what you describe is normal behaviour. When you hang up, things work again as normal correct?

yaymichael
20th April 2005, 12:49 PM
Yeah, they do return to normal. Obviously not really what I want in this case. I expected that as you can set two different IP addresses (one for the ethernet port, one assigned by dial-up) that it would still work.

purana
20th April 2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by yaymichael@Apr 20 2005, 12:49 PM
Yeah, they do return to normal. Obviously not really what I want in this case. I expected that as you can set two different IP addresses (one for the ethernet port, one assigned by dial-up) that it would still work.
I got no idea what your referring to in that sentence. When you dialup, your ip is dynamically assigned to you via the ISPS radius server. As well as checking your username/password.

You could dialup, and then restart the sharing service and see if it makes a difference. Not sure if it will, but would be interesting to know if it does.