PDA

View Full Version : Got an IrDA Mac in Adelaide?

rockinrobstar
9th May 2004, 04:39 PM
Hey all,

I recently borrowed a Newton 2100 from a friend with the intention of setting it up as a wireless stumbling rig. Unfortunatly, he lost the serial dongle connector and so the only way I can connect to upload drivers/ software is with IrDA. Unfortunatly, none of my Macs have IrDA (and the one PC that I do have IrDA on doesn't help cos the Newton Connection Utilities for Winblows don't support IrDA).

Just wondering if someone has an IrDA Mac in Adelaide that I could meet with and get them to upload the drivers to my Newton. The only real requirement would be that it needs to be running classic (as far as I know there are no OS X Newton Connection Utilities). I can supply the newton drivers and connection utiities on CD.

Thanks,

Rob

P.S. I have no idea how well the newton will work - its an experiment!

the_argon
9th May 2004, 06:10 PM
Hey, I bought a newton a while ago (110) and have the same problem.

The newtons are not IrDA compatible they use a proprietary standard to transfer otherwise it would be possible to upload the software via PC.

It really does make trasferring software a pain in the arse. :angry: *kicks apple*

Currawong
9th May 2004, 07:29 PM
There is the possibility that you could find a compatible ethernet card. There were quite a few models that worked in Newtons, though I think you need the software loaded. Best option is to find someone selling memory expansion for the newton, and ask them to put software on it before sending it to you. Eiether that, or trolling forums or ebay for dongles.