PDA

View Full Version : Swapping SIMS in an unlocked iPhone

Macette
28th July 2008, 06:32 PM
I just unlocked my iPhone from Telstra, and they said that if you unlock your iPhone, and then put an overseas SIM card in it, it will lock to that network and you won't be able to use it with any other network until you pay an unlocking fee. So I couldn't take this phone overseas then use it with another carrier, even though it's unlocked.

What. The. Eff?

Does anybody know if this is true? It's gotta be crap, right?

bennyling
28th July 2008, 06:34 PM
Please search in future, and yeah, it is crap.

Once you pay the $150 unlocking fee, your iPhone 3G is then unlocked FOR GOOD. No further unlocking necessary, ever.

Macette
28th July 2008, 06:43 PM
I'm sorry dude, I did try to search... I really honestly did. I'm glad it's crap. I *thought* it was.

ashura
1st August 2008, 02:42 AM
But what if you put overseas sim card AFTER you unlocked your phone with pwntool? because I'm in overseas at the moment for a while and be back to Syd next year so how's that?
example:
overseas (1st time) after unlock - vodafone sim card no contract pre-paid?

or

What if your friend what's to borrow your phone swapping sim card? other than when the first time (overseas sim) you put your sim card?
example:
overseas (1st time) after unlock - overseas (friend sim card)?

Any feedback you be greatly appreiciated
Haris

Huy
1st August 2008, 02:46 AM
If you use PwnageTool, then it is unlocked. Put whatever SIM in you want.
It doesn't matter if it is an overseas SIM or a Vodafone SIM or a contract SIM or a prepaid SIM.
If it is an iPhone that is unlocked, it is, to put it another way, NOT locked to any network or carrier.

If your friend wants to borrow your iPhone, he can. Swap out the SIM. Turn it on again.
I can't make it any clearer... unlocked iPhone? Put your SIM in. Take it out. Put it back in. Put another SIM in. Put your original back in. Repeat 100 times. Unlocked.

:)

ashura
1st August 2008, 02:55 AM
Hehehe thank's Huy glad to hear that, then it's worthed to unlocked the iPhone with Pwntool and I would like to say to DEV TEAM a Wonderful and GOOD JOB they've done! that I should have thanked them once I unlocked my iphone with a bit of hassle

Haris

Huy
1st August 2008, 03:28 AM
Don't forget for the iPhone 3G owners, PwnageTool will not unlock 3G iPhones (yet).

ashura
2nd August 2008, 03:30 PM
oh I just knew, thank's for the info, so for 3G owners, unlocking phone you can only do once? once you swap the sim card (1st sim) to friend/overseas sim, then you have to do the unlocking again? or even pay your provider again to do the unlocking is this correct?

Huy: in order to browse to see which software that apple store offer, do you have to connect it to the internet? or through Pwntool? (like the first time you install ssh open using Pwntool?) or using cydia?

Haris

Huy
2nd August 2008, 03:43 PM
For iPhone 3G users, you will only need to unlock it once. You will not have to unlock it a second time, for each and every subsequent SIM replacement. You pay once and only once.

Yes, the App Store requires the Internet, Wi-Fi connection or otherwise (3G, GPRS).

You do not use PwnageTool to browse the App Store.

Cydia and the App Store are two different things.

ashura
3rd August 2008, 03:08 AM
Hm.... sorry but I don't quite get it, you were saying "Don't forget for the iPhone 3G owners, PwnageTool will not unlock 3G iPhones (yet)."
1. how do you unlock your 3G then? how's about using Liberty+? or even Ziphone?

2. What's the 3G phone FM are they using? FM2.0 isn't it? if that so... what do you mean by PwnTool will not unlock your phone? "you pay once and only once"

3. oh actually my question is at the top of this Topic if you swap using other SIM (overseas) but previously you have asked and paid for the unlock code from telstra then when you insert overseas or other SIM card, will your phone be lock again? after you put it back your orginal sim(telstra), you will have to pay again for the unlock code, correct? what does this mean? phone lock? or sim card lock so phone can not be used after you swap sim card?

Thank you for clarifying this
Haris

Huy
3rd August 2008, 03:17 AM
I will explain it one more time.

If you have an iPhone 3G, you cannot use PwnageTool to unlock it. You cannot use anything right now other than a hardware solution which I do not recommend. If you have an iPhone, you can use PwnageTool to unlock it. Note the difference between an "iPhone" and an "iPhone 3G".

1. how do you unlock your 3G then?
Legally.

how's about using Liberty+?
Won't work on 3G.

or even Ziphone?
Won't work on 3G.

What's the 3G phone FM are they using? FM2.0 isn't it?
The iPhone 3G comes with 2.0 firmware. What I mean when I say PwnageTool cannot unlock your iPhone 3G is exactly that. PwnageTool cannot unlock your iPhone 3G. When I mention payment for unlocking. I am referring to a legitimate network unlock request to your carrier. i.e. you request an unlock, you pay them money and they unlock it for you. This is the legitimate solution.

will your phone be lock again?
No. You pay once. You only pay once. You get it unlocked. It remains unlocked. Do you understand this? If it is unlocked, then you can insert an overseas SIM, it will not lock. Insert a Telstra SIM, it will not lock. Put Optus/Virgin/Vodafone/whatever SIM in, it will not lock.

will have to pay again for the unlock code, correct?
No. Not correct. As I said, you pay once... you get it unlocked. You don't pay them again for any 're-unlocking'.

ashura
3rd August 2008, 03:41 AM
ah I understood perfectly now :), for iphone 3G basically you have to pay for the unlock code to be able to use in overseas or with any other carrier

different with 1st gen iphone can be unlocked without paying or changing the hardware

I'm curious because in Asia such as some of asian countries that iphone 3G has not been released by apple and they're able to unlocked the phone and sell it, so..... if they're not using those kind of software hm.... well just curious as I said.

Those iphone 3G can be used with all other carrier the same as the 1st gen iphone

thank's Huy for the help
Haris

Huy
3rd August 2008, 03:50 AM
yes everything you've just said is correct :)

People can use the 3g iPhone unlocked but this requires hardware. I am only talking about software. Most people will only want a software unlock.

The first gen can be unlocked using hardware too by the way.

If these Asian countries are selling them unlocked then maybe it was unlocked legitimately overseas or they're using hardware. Only one way to find out... Open it up. or check SIM tray.