PDA

View Full Version : Burning to DVD from Eye TV

mwot
27th July 2008, 07:37 PM
this is frustrating me ... i don't know how to work around it.

for some programs that i record using EyeTV, i can successfully burn the program to a blank DVD so that it can played in a stand-alone DVD player. i use the export to Toast option. simple. i love it. i've done this many times.

yet, for some programs, it does not allow me to do this because the program is too large and doesn't fit onto the DVD (my iMac has only a single-layer DVD burner). Toast cannot burn it.

i have Toast v.7.1.3 and EyeTV v.2.5.2

is there a work around or some settings i need to adjust so i can achieve what i'm after?

jppat
27th July 2008, 07:42 PM
try converting it to Apple TV or something, and then if that file is still too big, convert it from there

Brewster
27th July 2008, 08:08 PM
this is frustrating me ... i don't know how to work around it.

for some programs that i record using EyeTV, i can successfully burn the program to a blank DVD so that it can played in a stand-alone DVD player. i use the export to Toast option. simple. i love it. i've done this many times.

yet, for some programs, it does not allow me to do this because the program is too large and doesn't fit onto the DVD (my iMac has only a single-layer DVD burner). Toast cannot burn it.

i have Toast v.7.1.3 and EyeTV v.2.5.2

is there a work around or some settings i need to adjust so i can achieve what i'm after?

I have had this issue many times on files that are around 5 gig and have a work around.

First hit the toast button in the eyeTV menu which send the file to Toast and opens it. Set up the menu style, name etc then choose "Save as Disc Image" from the file menu in toast and choose a place to save the file. This will then multiplex the file and once it's finished open the ".toast" file and Toast will open it in the "Copy Mode". On the left is a check box with the option "Fit to DVD" , tick it, insert your DVD and away you go, it then compresses the video and burns the DVD.

It sounds fiddly but it's 2 steps instead of 1 and doesn't take much longer than a regular burn. It seems to be a bug in Toast that only comes up when a file is just a bit too big to fit. Really big files (over 7G) get compressed automatically. Good luck.

mwot
27th July 2008, 10:54 PM
I have had this issue many times on files that are around 5 gig and have a work around.

First hit the toast button in the eyeTV menu which send the file to Toast and opens it. Set up the menu style, name etc then choose "Save as Disc Image" from the file menu in toast and choose a place to save the file. This will then multiplex the file and once it's finished open the ".toast" file and Toast will open it in the "Copy Mode". On the left is a check box with the option "Fit to DVD" , tick it, insert your DVD and away you go, it then compresses the video and burns the DVD.

:thumbup: winner. thank you. worked a treat.

mwot
3rd August 2008, 08:36 PM
ok ... what to do when Brewster's solution doesn't work? ie. i get the same issue as before??

mwot
13th August 2008, 12:06 AM
anyone else have any other alternatives for me? how can i get, for instance, a 10gb EyeTV recording to compress down to a single-layer DVD so that it will play in a standard DVD player?

bushbabe
25th August 2008, 02:28 PM
Hi Mwot

I am not familiar with eyetv 2, however in eyetv 3 you get quite a menu of alternatives to convert files to and including the choice to split the file for the TV program you have on your computer do you have these options in eyetv 2?

Bushbabe

andytlr
25th August 2008, 02:49 PM
Try clicking the export to toast button, get the file(s) and put them into VisualHub. Set it to DVD and give that a go. It will compress the video down to fit on one DVD.

That said, toast should have been able to do it as per Brewster suggestion.

Alternatively, do what Brewster said and set up your dvd in toast with menu's and wot not. Then go to File > Save as Disc Image. Let it encode and do its thing. Then go to Utilities > Mount Disc Image and mount the disc image you've just created. Copy the VIDEO_TS folder out and run that through DVD2oneX and compress it to a single layer DVD.