PDA

View Full Version : Problems With 12" Ibook

fompsweeva
18th April 2005, 07:42 PM
Hey,

My girlfriend has a 12" iBook 1.2ghz 768meg of RAM. Sometimes it beachbally and slow, the hard drive makes a lot of noise and gets generally annoying.

The thing is, I had a 12" 1ghz, with the same amount of RAM and the same sized hard disc, and never had any issues at all. The hard disc in mine was silent for the most part. I've noticed that it's not as fast as mine too.

I suspected a ram issue - as I just got a new powerbook and it behaves about the same (with 256 megs of ram). The RAM in this unit is aftermarket (supplied by next byte) and I suspected it may be dodgy.

However I've ran a hard disc test and everything was fine. I've also tried repairing permissions on the hard disc.

I've suggested taking it back to nextbyte to have it looked at - but I thought I'd post and see if anyone has experienced anything like this.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
-mike

Insanely
18th April 2005, 07:53 PM
Generally if the system is making a noise it's not the RAM. Is hard disk clicking? One of the ibooks at work had a similar issue and turned out to be one of the fans inside was stuffed.

hawker
18th April 2005, 07:54 PM
1) take second RAM slot out and see how it runs.

2) Or run MEMTEST.

3) if you have a hardware test CD for Mac OS X, run that and see if anything comes up.

Apart from that, if you really do suspect something is up, take it to NextByte and see what they say.

Rayd
18th April 2005, 07:54 PM
take out the stick of extra ram, and see if it does anything... but don't take it to next byte unless there is no hope especially if it just for a checkup beacuse they will charge you sooo much just for a look at it... grrr

fompsweeva
18th April 2005, 08:24 PM
Hmmm interesting.

I just started running memtest and it only recognizes 298 megs of ram. Does anyone have an explaination?

It has the stock 256 and a 512.

purana
18th April 2005, 08:35 PM
Its likely the 512 is dodgy..

I had a 256mb chip that would only detect as a 128mb, so basically half of it was stuffed..

fompsweeva
18th April 2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by iodine@Apr 18 2005, 08:35 PM
Its likely the 512 is dodgy..

I had a 256mb chip that would only detect as a 128mb, so basically half of it was stuffed..
System Profiler and Apple Hardware Test both report the system as having 768.

Is that anything to go by?

Kildare
18th April 2005, 09:50 PM
Memtest is only reporting the amount of free useable RAM.
Boot up in single user mode (Apple + S) & boot straight to the shell & run it from there.
You won't get the total amount free but you'll get close to it.

Let it run through 5 times over night & see how it fairs.

icant
18th April 2005, 10:38 PM
To me, given the information above, it sounds like some software in the background chewing up processor cycles and RAM. If you have excluded that, or if the “hard drive noise” does not sound normal, then ignore this post.

tranp
18th April 2005, 11:22 PM
I went through the same problems with my ibook, the hard drive slowly started to die, eventually not being able to boot at all. I had always wondered why the drive mysteriously started to sound louder than usual in operation, yet functions were fine, then the drive started to make some odd noises and yeah beachballs galore!

I'd say backup all important data now. :thumbup: