PDA

View Full Version : Backup/Clone Solution

Hamsmyth
25th July 2008, 12:32 PM
Hey,

I have a situation I need solved and I thought someone here might have the answer.

Here is my situation.

I work as an in-house graphic designer. I work one day a week at the office, and the rest of the time I work from home.

I have a Mac at home and at the office.

I have a portable HDD containing all of my work data which I cart around with me. This is backed up on both the work server and my home HDD.

I've only just started working the one day a week at the office. My boss wants me to keep all the files locally on the iMac at work. This suits me too ass it's faster than using the portable HDD. I have copied my files from the HDD to the iMac and everything is sweet.

What I need to know is this:

How can I make the HDD update when I change files locally on the iMac. For example if I create a document on the iMac I want it to copy to the portable so I have access to it when I work from home.

Also, then I create a document at home and return to work, I want the document on the HDD to copy over to the imac at work so everything is up to date.

Is this possible? Sorry for the long post I hope I have made things clear.

Thanks for your help.

hewball
25th July 2008, 02:11 PM
only way i can think of doing this is via idisk in mobile me and setting both mac's to use idisk sync, wont do this via portable hdd but over the net connections

Lutze
25th July 2008, 02:19 PM
Take a look at the Dropbox review posted by MissionMan here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/20/51780-dropbox-detailed-review-2.html#post540720), it sounds like what you need maybe.

Hamsmyth
25th July 2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks guys will check both of those out.