PDA

View Full Version : Site statistics

Damian
7th May 2004, 05:04 PM
Just looking at the site stats.

I am surprised by the proportion of Windows clients.

I wonder why?

Lots of the other side read the site?
Lots of mac users really use Windows?
Maybe some set their browser to fake IE6 for compatibility?

Any suggestions?

Damian

sillydog701
7th May 2004, 05:21 PM
It's not that bad. Some of us have to use Windows during work or in other environment.

As the stats of my website (http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=32103#32103), only 7% Mac users. Well, the focus is Netscape/Mozilla users in my website, not platform.

LCGuy
8th May 2004, 10:04 AM
I am one of those poor unfortunate souls. Due to the fact that i need a peecee for uni, and the fact that i don't have enough room on my desk for my iMac, i have to use a PC for most of my browsing, except when i'm at home, when i use the iMac at every chance i get! Anyway, count yourselves lucky...due to the fact that my network connection for the Dell is having problems, i'm in the lab here on an IPEX!!!! :(

sillydog701
8th May 2004, 10:28 AM
And there's nothing wrong with people accessing from PC. We do want to encourage them to switch to Mac, right?

decryption
8th May 2004, 10:43 AM
I use this site about 50% of the time from TAFE, which is all Windows machines. And at home, I often need to do my work on a Windows machine, so about 25% of the time, I'm using this site at home, from a PC.

The other 25% is on my G5.. so yeah, lots of us are forced to use a Windows machine.

pipsqeek
8th May 2004, 12:39 PM
I try to avoid the XBOX....sorry, Windoesn't machine as much as possible.

I use it for its purpose, it is a toy after all.

I connected a fresh installed box with WinXP to the network the other day. It usually never touches the net for obvious reasons.

And here's why:
Within two hours of playing games, surfing and chatting I had over 10 instances of a virus or two that my freshly installed copy of Norton, as well as McAfee and other free anti virus software did not notice. I eventually did an online virus scan which picked it up. I also scanned the network from the iBook...scanning the Win box. This was within 2 hours of a fresh installation.

This shows me a number of things:
1. My firewall sux. I'm going to be building a dedicated elcheapo Smoothwall box soon.
2. Windows is not secure....What? Its not? how? you'd never think! Nahhhh!
3. Why did I think about doing this in the first place? Ah yeah, to prove a point.
4. I'll jsut stick to using the M$ OS as a Glorified XBOX hosting tool.
4. Windows Sux! - sorry had to through that in.
5. Maybe I should send my Advanced Hair receipts to M$ becuase since not using it, my hair has started to grow back.
6. M$ products promote swearing - good for people with swear jars.
7. M$ Products will keep system admins employed.
8. My friends will never learn! They don't use mac because they are scared to admit its better, therefore by not using it. you can't miss what you never had. :)

The rule I keep in mind is, I never blame the hardware.

Steve

cmetom
8th May 2004, 02:33 PM
answer: you use XP and/or you didn't update.

no offence, dude, but (true or not) you're quite harsh on the Wintel systems. please note i'm not saying they're better or trying to start an argument. i'm just saying that you're telling us facts we already know.

on-topic: i mainly use my PC. why? because i use my Fully-Leet 10.3 box as the ultimate Unix router for my wireless link to my neighbour! ROCK ON!!!

*hugs unix*

Disko
8th May 2004, 03:38 PM
well, many people may visit this site from work, where they're using IE.

When this design of the site was first conceived, it wasn't 100% IE compatible - the_argon worked long and hard through an IE browser to make it so. *applauds the_jargon*

the_argon
8th May 2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Disko@May 8 2004, 03:08 PM
When this design of the site was first conceived, it wasn't 100% IE compatible - the_argon worked long and hard through an IE browser to make it so. *applauds the_jargon*
Yeah, That was fun... <_<

Oh well, all for a good cause :D

stooge
9th May 2004, 08:52 PM
Well if you must know at work I access this site from either a linux box or a mac. At home most of the time it is linux ,
this will change when I eventually switch to an e-mac or die trying.

There is one mac at work waiting for an OS reinstall, unfortunately it doesn&#39;t have enough grunt to
run OS X . If only the boss could find the recovery cd &#33;&#33;&#33;

I would consider myself more a mac fan,the mac bug bit me years ago when working at optus.

Prehaps there are more on this forum , wanting to make the switch but having to wait till the economic
indicators are in their favour.

Byrd
9th May 2004, 10:26 PM
I use a PC with WinXP 80% of the time accessing these forums. It&#39;s fast and it plays games, it&#39;s even watercooled, and I can&#39;t justify the &#036;&#036;&#036;&#036; on a high-end G4/5 at present when this machine is more than sufficient for most tasks. But, my hands are always on Macs, both new and old, and I&#39;m enjoying playing with OS X on my B&W G3 - software I haven&#39;t used much before. It&#39;s good.

JB

pipsqeek
9th May 2004, 11:06 PM
I know I am harsh on the Wintel Systems, but I always do say, "its the software not the hardware."

I can&#39;t help it, its just an easy target.

I know I say things that we all already know, but that doesn&#39;t stop comedians from doing so. :)

I&#39;ll lay off. I use XP. I have friends that do too. Each to their own. They all have their good and bad points. I do give Windows credit for even being able to run on systems so varied. I mean, if all of us forum members met up with our PC&#39;s I would very much bet my house on it that no two PC&#39;s would be the same, whether it be inside or out. Windows does do a relatively decent job of making sure 1000&#39;s of different hardware configurations run in the same manner from each other. I&#39;ll give it that.

But as mentioned. They are such an easy target.

I did not mean to offend or anything...its just so much fun&#33;

Steve

stickman67
10th May 2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@May 9 2004, 11:06 PM
I do give Windows credit for even being able to run on systems so varied.
Actually, that&#39;s a pretty good point.

Apart from all the different PCs, there are the peripherals requiring various drivers, the hard disks, and so on. Thousands and thousands of various configurations, verging on the infinite in the ways they can be put together, and all expected to work via a single operating system.

Doesn&#39;t excuse Microsoft for its almost (or not-so almost, perhaps) criminal negligence in releasing systems with so many flaws that they have to come up with a monthly timetable of patch releases to fix even a minority of them (and often not even the worst)&#33; <_<

PS: Great to see users popping in to visit from so many countries around the world. The Seychelles? Brilliant&#33; :D