PDA

View Full Version : Ordered My Ibook

xatz
17th April 2005, 09:53 PM
I just ordered my first mac, a 12 inch iBook.
I bumped the HDD up to 60G, and will install after market ram when I get it.
As soon as I get it I will fill the form in for Tiger up-to-date upgrade.

I can't wait to get a hold of it and play.:)
As I have used linux before I am particularly looking forward to using the terminal.
Are there any tips that you can give me on what to look out for when starting new with a fresh mac ?

I am studying Software Engineering and want to be a Unix/Linux programmer so this little machine should be great for coding on the bus and train. Are there any other coders here that can give me tips ?

I will post again when it arrives and tell you my first impressions.

Disko
17th April 2005, 10:15 PM
cool. :)

congrats xatz, hopefully it all works well. :)

Kildare
17th April 2005, 10:31 PM
I got mine a few weeks ago & love it. :)
Have a bit of Linux experience (Smoothwall / Slackware) however if you're going to be mucking around in the terminal a bit check out iTerm - much better interface.
http://iterm.sourceforge.net/

creativeshed
17th April 2005, 10:39 PM
Enjoy the experience!

thedragonreborn
18th April 2005, 09:41 PM
xatz,

you wont regret it at all, i found the transition easy, now when i go on XP i am always looking for the expose` features. I ordered my ibook on the 11/4 (recieved 3 days later) so i missed out on the cheap upgrade :(, but i am happy to chill on panther for a bit. I am studying maths, and use various programs like maple,matlab,opendx and other scientific programs and also write a heap of "C", a good site if you into coding is

http://hpc.sourceforge.net/

thats full of all the mac goodies for parallel programing and stuff. One thing i reckon you should revise environment varibles and $paths, as you usally have to set them yourself when you complile a *nix app, have fun anyhoo and welcome to the club

steve

xatz
19th April 2005, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the tips, they are really appreciated.
I will definitely check them out when I get my mac.

Update: I ordered it Sunday afternoon online.
Got an email today saying it was shipped on Monday.
Such prompt service.
Shouldn't be too long now.

geektechnu
19th April 2005, 03:29 PM
Good to see that they are treating you well.

purana
19th April 2005, 03:42 PM
Congrads. I just sent off my paperwork to do the salary sacrifice through work, and it appears since the local apple reseller we deal with won't accept purchase orders, I will have to wait for the cheque run to be done again which only happens once a month (at the end of the month).

I should have the approved purchase order in a week I hope, so atleast when I get that the supplier can allocate me a mac mini and powerbook 12" superdrive and know they will get a cheque at the end of the month for it (and then give me the goods at the end of may when the cheque is done).

Oh the waiting :(

xatz
20th April 2005, 10:09 PM
Well it arrived today. :)
I am amazed at how quickly they sent it. It arrived on the right day as well. I graduated from my first degree today.
Anyway.
I am enjoying it very much. I am writing this post from it now while sitting on the lounge.
I haven't had a working laptop for a long time I missed the freedom. I am yet to explore the system fully but I have been tweaking and changing setting for hours. So much easier to find than in Windows.
At first I thought it might be too small, but I was wrong. It is fine especially for what I am using it for (web, word processing, chat, coding). It is fast enough as well and I will test it for games on the weekend.
I am enojying the experience so far and can recommend the 12 inch iBook to anyone.
Although there is one thing I am having trouble with.
In iTunes if a create a new playlist, how do I add songs to it from the library ?

Galumay
20th April 2005, 10:51 PM
if you create a smart playlist you can just set the terms by which music is selected. e.g. genre, or a keyword - you could put the word 'baby' in the terms of the smart playlist and all songs with 'baby' in the title would go into it.

otherwise just click and drag.