PDA

View Full Version : Message to Adobe: how about no....

forgie
23rd July 2008, 11:03 AM
I just bought (that's right, I didn't pirate, I bought a legitimate copy) of Adobe CS3 Design Standard. You'd think that Adobe would... think that this is a "good" thing, and be nice to me for it. But no, they go and install their piece of shit "AdobePDFView.plugin" in my \Library\Internet Plugins. Why is this a problem? Because it doesn't work!. When I went to load a PDF, it said it wasn't able to display it. Luckily I knew exactly where to look to extract the crapware - 90% of Adobe users would probably have no idea, and would suffer with crippled PDF in Safari.

I never got asked if I wanted to have crapware installed on my mac, let alone crapware from the makers of PDF that doesn't even know how to render PDF.

It seems as though Adobe == Fail

The experience of installing CS3 and going through their Student activation thing really has me wondering whether or not I'll just pirate it next time - when a company has such disregard for it's own paying customers, it leaves a sour taste.

{edit: I really should've contained this whole post in <rant></rant> :)}

stewiesno1
23rd July 2008, 11:07 AM
Point taken Forgie. You should forward this to Adobe management.

Stewie

forgie
23rd July 2008, 11:10 AM
Point taken Forgie. You should forward this to Adobe management.

Stewie
Well that's entirely the problem - it's almost certainly management, not engineers that decide to do shit like this.

SilverJ
23rd July 2008, 11:12 AM
I agree, I got the student edition as well, because the full 'full' version was crazy expensive. I got exactly the same thing, but had to use a student ID in order to submit to Adobe for approval and then wait a week for them to reply with the serial before I could use it. You certainly get punished for buying legit software now. If I downloaded it I could be using it instantly. Surely there has to be a better way Adobe!

mac_man_luke
23rd July 2008, 11:16 AM
The worst thing is after you delete the pdf plugin every time you open acrobat it says something is missing do you want it fixed, with no option of saying dont ask again!!

forgie
23rd July 2008, 11:22 AM
I agree, I got the student edition as well, because the full 'full' version was crazy expensive. I got exactly the same thing, but had to use a student ID in order to submit to Adobe for approval and then wait a week for them to reply with the serial before I could use it. You certainly get punished for buying legit software now. If I downloaded it I could be using it instantly. Surely there has to be a better way Adobe!
Oh yeah, I didn't even mention that when they sent me my serial number the first time, they did a bad copy and paste, and missed a few numbers off the end.

Why the hell would one of the largest software companies in the world not have an automated system for this?

I had to reply and wait a few days for them to send me the rest of my serial number.

Hamsmyth
23rd July 2008, 11:30 AM

I too had to wait, then to discover you can actually install it and use it for 30days while you wait for the serial. No-where did it mention this...that was annoying.

I also has issues sending them the proof of purchase and student card scans...such a shit system. You would think they can do better.

craigd
23rd July 2008, 11:34 AM
Oh yeah, I didn't even mention that when they sent me my serial number the first time, they did a bad copy and paste, and missed a few numbers off the end.

Why the hell would one of the largest software companies in the world not have an automated system for this?

I had to reply and wait a few days for them to send me the rest of my serial number.

you know what to do in future mate

Johnny Appleseed
23rd July 2008, 11:50 AM
Just one thing: Adobe shouldn't have to be grateful when someone opts not to pirate their software!

bennettnz
23rd July 2008, 12:02 PM
I know where you're coming from but honestly it hasn't been that hard to handle the new activation system. But I do agree that the price of the software packages although containing a lot of versatility are expensive even for professionals. Yes I understand the argument of making sure your work is covering the cost of expenses like this but even so it is a large upfront cost. My only gripe is that acrobat used to be such a simple and useful program and now it just seems to be updated all the time with extra crap that complicates the usability and stability.

BLINDER
23rd July 2008, 12:03 PM

Yep - fully agree w/ that! It's a bug bear alright.
I've dropped close to $10K w/ Adobe and never, ever get the feeling they think I'm worthwhile.
I have several other issues w/their software..., and many more issues with the ability to actually talk to the flipping company. It's almost impenetrable in Australia.

bennettnz
23rd July 2008, 12:07 PM
One thing I'll add is that if your looking for help via phone from adobe in a country outside of the States you may as well hang up. The only help I've ever got was by ringing them in the US.

aafuss
23rd July 2008, 12:12 PM
Me too-in my case, I have CS2 purchased from a guy in Russia-I still can apply updates.

SilverJ
23rd July 2008, 12:13 PM
Oh and heaven forbid if it doesn't install correctly,
you have to trace down all the files to remove properly,
there is no un-installer.
So if you have the demo on you have to uninstall it (not just use the serial key and register the already installed program) install it again from the dvd, hope it installs correctly and then register it and do the updates.. grr.

uncyherb
23rd July 2008, 12:17 PM
I had to call them recently to get an override code, and then spent about 10 minutes with someone telling me to do such-and-such, which wouldn't work. I repeated back the instructions about 20 times... each time double checking I was on the correct screen and so on. Nothing worked... until eventually the person said "Oh no... that's not the right screen, click next and then do the vulcan death grip."

Bloody hell I was annoyed. I'm used to computers, so I kept asking questions and repeating stuff back to them... I must have asked if I was on the correct screen about 5-10 times, each time being told "yes, that's right". Eventually it turned out that wasn't right.

Tech support? Riiiiiight

uncyherb
23rd July 2008, 12:18 PM
Me too-in my case, I have CS2 purchased from a guy in Russia-I still can apply updates.

Bought it from a guy in Russia? Doesn't sound suspect at all.

bennettnz
23rd July 2008, 12:20 PM
There is a method of uninstalling supplied by adobe but I can't recall where you need to find the exact file in your mac... sorry.

bennettnz
23rd July 2008, 12:22 PM
Found it go to Utilities then Adobe Installers then double click the Add or remove CS3 application

SilverJ
23rd July 2008, 07:21 PM
Cheers, good work bennettnz.
But I managed to figure that out a few months ago when I installed/re-installed. Handy to have it here for others though who will come across this issue.

Phase
23rd July 2008, 07:38 PM
So if you have the demo on you have to uninstall it (not just use the serial key and register the already installed program) install it again from the dvd, hope it installs correctly and then register it and do the updates.. grr.

Lock and Load

http://www.starryhope.com/images/application_icons/AppZapper.png

AppZapper - The uninstaller Apple forgot. (http://www.appzapper.com/)

ZacDavies
24th July 2008, 01:04 AM
The one Adobe thing that pisses me off is that the layers panel CAN'T SCROLL

so frustrating to have to move your mouse over..

(unless theres some shortcut etc I'm missing?)

forgie
1st August 2008, 01:03 PM
It gets better...
http://www.users.on.net/~theforge/MTAU/adobe_updater.png
This is the dialog box that came up after the updater tried to quit Safari.

The CS3 updater attempts to quit various applications, including Safari, without warning. Nice. I don't understand what reasoning you could possibly use to come to the conclusion that it is ok to try and quit other applications on a user's computer without any sort of warning.

Wow, just wow.

rusty jobs
3rd August 2008, 01:27 PM
It gets better...
http://www.users.on.net/~theforge/MTAU/adobe_updater.png
This is the dialog box that came up after the updater tried to quit Safari.

The CS3 updater attempts to quit various applications, including Safari, without warning. Nice. I don't understand what reasoning you could possibly use to come to the conclusion that it is ok to try and quit other applications on a user's computer without any sort of warning.

Wow, just wow.

get over it ffs

Kirium
3rd August 2008, 01:38 PM
If it makes you feel any better forgie, I've heard CS3 TPB Edition works flawlessly...

marc
3rd August 2008, 01:41 PM
Rusty: these are legitimate complaints, especially when you've handed over THOUSANDS of dollars for the apps.

On of my favourite Adobe dialogues:
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/content/images/20060923update.png
Taken from: Rogue Amoeba - Under The Microscope (http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts/Linked/adobe-installers-2006-09-23-02-00)

Adobe have really lost the plot over the last 5+ years. I'm really starting to hate the Creative Suite these days. Shame there isn't any real alternative.

I'll definitely jump ship when some of the Photoshop & Illustrator competitors get a little better. Quark 8 is also looking really good (ok, maybe not)...

lucid.motion
3rd August 2008, 02:08 PM
I just bought (that's right, I didn't pirate, I bought a legitimate copy) of Adobe CS3 Design Standard. You'd think that Adobe would... think that this is a "good" thing, and be nice to me for it. But no, they go and install their piece of shit "AdobePDFView.plugin" in my \Library\Internet Plugins. Why is this a problem? Because it doesn't work!. When I went to load a PDF, it said it wasn't able to display it. Luckily I knew exactly where to look to extract the crapware - 90% of Adobe users would probably have no idea, and would suffer with crippled PDF in Safari.

I never got asked if I wanted to have crapware installed on my mac, let alone crapware from the makers of PDF that doesn't even know how to render PDF.

It seems as though Adobe == Fail

The experience of installing CS3 and going through their Student activation thing really has me wondering whether or not I'll just pirate it next time - when a company has such disregard for it's own paying customers, it leaves a sour taste.

{edit: I really should've contained this whole post in <rant></rant> :)}

I noticed something dodge about how pdfs come up in safari after reinstalling my legal copy of adobe Web Premium.
could you explain how one goes about setting it back to use preview like always ?

macrich
3rd August 2008, 03:49 PM
I know how you feel, I bought a copy of CS3 Design Premium (student as well). As if proving that I was a student to get a serial number wasn't bad enough, they wanted the receipt so that I could get a free upgrade to 3.3. Suffice to say, I didn't keep the receipt, so guess who doesn't get 3.3 now.
Adobe, you suck balls big time.
I think next time, I'll just have to look for a pirated version myself.

stefanlod
3rd August 2008, 04:08 PM
Apple acquire Adobe already!

dmw
3rd August 2008, 05:17 PM
If i had a spare 3 hours i would document all the dramas we have had trying to install CS3 across our mac network ... why does it have to be this hard? ... why are we being punished for spending tens of thousands of dollars? ... and as to getting any intelligent help on the phone - forget it.

this and other gems can be found at Unexpectedly Quit — You can’t spell crash without CS. (http://unexpectedlyquit.com/)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3220/2659905546_e1c7d25df2_o.png

Piratbyran
3rd August 2008, 06:38 PM
Interesting how much effort adobe puts into crap like this in photoshop, but neglects usability all together.

http://i38.tinypic.com/126fb0p.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/dzciuf.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/104i99h.jpg

Not adobe; but it made me laugh, what dumb friends i have.

http://i37.tinypic.com/w75kx.jpg

froggy
3rd August 2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the warnings! :rolleyes:

I just bought CS3 and I'm wondering if I did the right thing.

Cheers,
Andrew

moldor
9th August 2008, 10:58 PM

You could try AppZapper - I uninstalled CS2 last night with it and as far as I see it didn't leave any crap behind.

tachy0n
9th August 2008, 11:03 PM
Oh if anyone is having trouble and needs to uninstall, sometimes Adobe's uninstaller doesn't uninstall completely- if this happens you need to search on their site for "Mac Clean" which is a command line app that someone obviously wrote out of frustration, but it is from the Adobe site and the technical support team told me about it.

Yes it did work for me when I was trying to go from the 30 day demo to the Licence version.

This post may save you some grief one day. No need to thank me:D

Fillman
16th December 2008, 04:21 PM
Apologies for dragging up an older thread but I've just tripped over an Adobe CS3 activation problem. My MacBook Pro graphics chip carked it last Sunday and the fine Techies over at Apple Store Chadstone had the motherboard swapped out and fixed early the next morning. Excellent service.

I tried to fire up Illustrator just now and got the reactivation message. You can't do it on line because you can't deauthorise the previous motherboard. When I phoned up Adobe I got a polite lecture that I must always deauthorise the old machine first but they would make an exception for me in this case.

I can't find any reference to Zombies in the Adobe help file but it must be the official method for reactivating dead computers. Otherwise deactivate Adobe products before major surgery!

Minor grumble, not a rant... I'm up and running again now.

SyncMan
16th December 2008, 06:14 PM
They need to make exceptions, things break, they should know that.