PDA

View Full Version : Pc Has Better Ae Signal Than New Pb?!

CoeurdeLyon
17th April 2005, 08:44 PM
I have set up a new Airport Express with a new 15" PowerBook and older 12" iBook. Both working fine but a little disappointed on the range it seems to have. Just managed to get work laptop (Toshiba Tecra) to access wireless network and is has a better range. Surely this cannot be!!! Are there some settings for the PowerBook use of the AE that I have overlooked or need to tweak?
Any help would be much appreciated.

jimmy
17th April 2005, 08:54 PM
Check the antena is plugged in all the way on the airport card. you need to push really hard. i had the same problem with my ibook. hope that helps

jobe
17th April 2005, 09:58 PM
you have to ask yourself how accurately your PC is reporting signal strength. I have three different programs on my PC that report signal strength. Before, when I was having signal problems, A dlink untility would report 80~90%, windows would report poor~average and net stumbler would report about 50%.

Now with my antennas, I no longer have signal problems. Both dlink and netstumbler report 100% and windows reports Very good~excellent.

CoeurdeLyon
17th April 2005, 10:41 PM
Jobe and jimmy thank you for your suggestions, however, how can I adjust the antennas on the PowerBook, iBook or even Airport Express. I thought that they are all embeded in the cases? There are no external antennas that I can see.

Kildare
17th April 2005, 10:58 PM
More my understanding the Airport antenna runs up the sides of the screen in the iBook so I assume the PowerBook would be the same?

Not sure if there is much you can do. Depends on the output & antenna in the Tobisha however the Tobisha might simply be better.

House
18th April 2005, 01:17 AM
Interestingly I've found the same thing when comparing my iBook range to my 12yo cousin's Toshiba notebook given to him by his school. Coincidence they're both Toshibas? I don't know.

He has an .11b network at his house. In the lounge room at one end of the house I must sit facing the router and in line with the hallway that runs down the centre of the house. His laptop has perfect network continuity where Camino often stalls when I move to pick up a drink from the coffee table, even when sitting in that 'best spot' I mentioned.

I just yanked the keyboard and checked the plug, it's inserted fully. I removed the card a number of times when I thought wy RAM was faulty (it sits under the Airport card) so I knew to ensure it was properly plugged in last time I reinserted it.

I suspect it is a flaw in our Apple notebooks. The iBook is a cheaper model, likely to have a cheaper wireless solution. I wonder if the metal case of the Powerbooks interferes with the WiFi recieving pattern. I suspect the Airport Cards may have a lower power output (being they are a single world-wide product) in order to comply with the more stringent output limits of some countries. This, coupled with a poor radiation pattern, may mean some packet reception acknowledgements (ACKs) aren't being received by the router in a timely manner, adding to the poor network reliability.

Btw, the radiation and receiving patterns of any antenna is the same.
I'm glad my Computer Science degree comes in handy some times... though more use in this discussion was my Amateur Radio theory and WiFi reading online. SO glad I spent so much time at uni! :)

vid
5th May 2005, 08:56 PM
I've been searching through all the "wireless" issues as I have the same "range" issues with my 17" PB, I have had a Belkin wireless router/modem since January and have not had a problem with using my PB anywhere in the house (or even in the backyard) UNTIL recently (probably a couple of weeks) NOW I ONLY have to move a few metres away from the modem/router and I lose the signal altogether!

I also have a PC with a wireless card and this still gets a good signal and it's 3 rooms away, so I know it's NOT the Modem that has the problem.

Has anyone found a solution yet? I was wondering if this has surfaced since one of the "software updates"
Below are updates I have installed recently and 10.3.9 MAY coincide with the problems?
2005-04-17 09:48:38 +0930: Installed "Mac OS X Update" (10.3.9)
2005-04-20 12:56:42 +0930: Installed "Security Update 2005-004" (1.0)
2005-04-27 12:43:36 +0930: Installed "Java Update for Mac OS X v10.3.9" (1.0)
2005-05-04 13:25:48 +0930: Installed "QuickTime" (7.0)
2005-05-04 13:25:57 +0930: Installed "Security Update 2005-005" (1.0)

I have mentioned this issue in a couple of other places incase anyone spots the duplications.