PDA

View Full Version : Australian TV Guide for iPhone Coming Soon

decryption
22nd July 2008, 05:46 PM
Got an email from Peter Watling and he told me about his upcoming app for the iPhone/iPod Touch

http://heyinternet.com/imgdump/skitched-20080722-174042.jpg

http://heyinternet.com/imgdump/skitched-20080722-174135.jpg

http://heyinternet.com/imgdump/skitched-20080722-174459.jpg

It should appear on the Australian App Store very soon, as soon as Apple approves it. It only has 2 days of info, but it's totally free. Only supports FTA stations too. Either way, it will give IceTV a run for it's money :D

The Architect.mac
22nd July 2008, 05:48 PM
That is awesome...

matthew858
22nd July 2008, 05:48 PM
I am downloading it the moment it is on the app store. I've wanted something like this for a while now.

benzoenator
22nd July 2008, 05:49 PM
Looks very suave.

Now all I need is an iPhone...

kyte
22nd July 2008, 05:50 PM
Looks great, I'll be getting that :)

Dakah3
22nd July 2008, 05:50 PM
Looks stunning, have been waiting for an Aussie TV one to come out

The Architect.mac
22nd July 2008, 05:51 PM
what is the app store link or search terms...

decryption
22nd July 2008, 05:51 PM
I am downloading it the moment it is on the app store. I've wanted something like this for a while now.

What's it called on the App Store, what's the link?

matthew858
22nd July 2008, 05:52 PM
What's it called on the App Store, what's the link?

What do you mean?

wolfie
22nd July 2008, 05:52 PM
I'm comfused. How does it support fta only but screenshots show cable too?

The Architect.mac
22nd July 2008, 05:54 PM
oh, the moment it is on the app store... gotcha

decryption
22nd July 2008, 05:58 PM
What do you mean?

Ohh, I misread your post - I thought you said "I am downloading it at the moment off the App Store" - but you actually said "I am downloading it the moment it is on the app store"

Oops :p

Dakah3
22nd July 2008, 05:58 PM
Damn missed that show listed in the screenshot "How to have sex after marriage" needed my wife to watch it!

whatashotbyseve
22nd July 2008, 06:00 PM
I'm comfused. How does it support fta only but screenshots show cable too?

I didn't get that either. But if it did show cable, it would go forever... 70 or 80 channels?

I will probably get it if it is free but i doubt i will use it extensively. The Foxtel IQ tells me all that and i don't really watch that much TV anyway.

iSlayer
22nd July 2008, 06:19 PM
but it's totally free

Hopefully it is but im not so sure. His NZ one is $3.99 or something

Comet
22nd July 2008, 06:26 PM
Anything below $4 I would buy as long as I see a use for it. The sales should atleast cover the cost of anual membership

Kensei
22nd July 2008, 06:56 PM
Ooooo looks nice. Can't wait for more Aussie content on App Store! :p

melted.marsbar
22nd July 2008, 07:38 PM
This will be great! And it comes at such a good price, haha. :)

reemixx
22nd July 2008, 07:46 PM
Oooh! When? When?! :D This would be extremely useful to me since I:

1) Am too lazy to bother going to my computer to look on the net for TV show times, if I'm not already AT my computer

2) Am constantly being asked what's on TV, even though I don't watch it all that often and have no clue. Can just whip out the iPhone and see. Awesome :D

3) Can never find the bloody TV magazine. I swear, those things sprout legs and run off somewhere.

I'll be on the lookout for this one :)

ninjamoeba
22nd July 2008, 11:53 PM
I hope he finds a UI designer or gives the interface just a bit more polish...

danno74
22nd July 2008, 11:57 PM
Oh that's freaking awesome - nice work Peter!

macaholic
23rd July 2008, 12:01 AM
------

(now irrelevant)

skip
23rd July 2008, 12:11 AM
There's a Swedish tv.nu guide app for free (on the Aus store?!) or the tvGuide app for $4.99. Not free then...I'd need to see some reviews before plumping for this.

Does it show HD channels then? The au.yahoo tv website does, lets you choose which capital city and which region you're in, and has more than two days ahead to look at (I think). Not sure it's a $5 app given I can already see this stuff on the iPhone...

Reubania
23rd July 2008, 12:12 AM
Looks very suave.

All I need is a TV....:rolleyes:

Mecha
23rd July 2008, 01:03 AM
If i can pick region and see HD channels then ill be downloading asap.

NathR32
23rd July 2008, 03:58 PM
I love it. Looks awesome. Much better than going to tvguide.com.au and searching that way. Can still only see the $4.99 NZ one in the App store at the moment.

bigmouth
25th July 2008, 09:07 AM
Ummm - i can only see the NZ version when doing a search for "TV guide"

snowman
25th July 2008, 09:24 AM
I'll be getting it for sure :)

gareth
25th August 2008, 08:59 PM
any news on this app ?

Exocet
25th August 2008, 09:04 PM
If only Foxtel would come out with an App like this and enable the remote-record function for Foxtel iQ

mrbrut
26th August 2008, 04:29 PM
It's out and it's $4.99.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284944379&mt=8

cjuiz
26th August 2008, 04:34 PM
I thought it was supposed to be free.

Tiprya
26th August 2008, 04:37 PM
Well thats a yawner

fother
26th August 2008, 04:38 PM
It's out and it's $4.99.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284944379&mt=8

that link is for the NZ one, not an Australian one ;)

Akshunhiro
26th August 2008, 04:47 PM
That looks great! I'm pleasantly suprised the iPhone has been accepted this easily and everyone wants to get theirs apps out for it! Yay!

mrbrut
26th August 2008, 04:47 PM
that link is for the NZ one, not an Australian one ;)

Says on its iTunes description that it supports Australia in this new version.

Scooterpig
26th August 2008, 04:49 PM
Yep and if you got his page one of the pic on the left shows Aus FTA channels there, so guess this is the one.

http://www.orsome.co.nz/images/MoreChannels.jpg

fother
26th August 2008, 04:51 PM
I stand corrected :)

drzeus
26th August 2008, 04:59 PM
As much as I like IceTV, visually this does look MUCH nicer than IceTV (thanks to the channel logos etc).

Marc, any chance of spicing up IceTV App with a little more colour/graphics like this App?

I'm guessing copyright may come into play but they seem to have gotten around it somehow.

jimmc
26th August 2008, 05:03 PM
It should appear on the Australian App Store very soon, as soon as Apple approves it. It only has 2 days of info, but it's totally free. Only supports FTA stations too. Either way, it will give IceTV a run for it's money :D

I am an American currently living in Cairns for business reasons.

I have an American iTunes account, and have been buying apps from there. They don't have the Australian apps listed, like this one.

iTunes won't let me purchase from the Oz store.

Any way around this?

gumby08
26th August 2008, 05:07 PM

I have an American iTunes account, and have been buying apps from there. They don't have the Australian apps listed, like this one.

Any way around this?

This might help:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/53/55704-how-itunes-account-without-credit-itunes-card.html?highlight=australian+itunes

Erwin
26th August 2008, 05:08 PM

Any way around this?

Create a new and separate Australian iTunes account?

EDIT: Beaten!

Aa
26th August 2008, 05:18 PM
As much as I like IceTV, visually this does look MUCH nicer than IceTV (thanks to the channel logos etc).

hmmm.. but will it include Program descriptions like :

A Current Affair
People are ripping off taxpayers, taxpayers are ripping off the government. the government is ripping off everybody, the diet doesen't work... no wait, the diet does work but the tradesman is a con artist and the neighbours are crazy.

priceless

jimmc
26th August 2008, 05:20 PM
Create a new and separate Australian iTunes account?

This won't disrupt/disable my US account? Do I need to do this from a second computer? Can I keep US and OZ apps on the same phone?

marc
26th August 2008, 05:35 PM
Marc, any chance of spicing up IceTV App with a little more colour/graphics like this App?
Nope. We'd be sued in a flash.

As I'm sure you can imagine, we work very hard at maintaining squeaky clean.

This won't disrupt/disable my US account? Do I need to do this from a second computer? Can I keep US and OZ apps on the same phone?
I believe you can easily switch back and forward on the same computer.

Scooterpig
26th August 2008, 05:57 PM
Nope. We'd be sued in a flash.

Totally understandable too, but then how would this app be allowed to show them as surely they'd want a huge fee for showing them?

gumby08
26th August 2008, 06:35 PM

I have an AU, US and UK account all on one computer. Everything you purchase just goes into your iTunes library and it doesn't differentiate between which store you got it from. It's just a matter of signing out of one account and into the other on the iTunes Store.

marc
26th August 2008, 06:56 PM
Totally understandable too, but then how would this app be allowed to show them as surely they'd want a huge fee for showing them?
No idea.

It's quite possible that they have an agreement in place. And if not, it's likely nothing will happen. For whatever reason, IceTV is on the commercial station's hit list, so we probably need to be more careful than most.

RiGo
27th August 2008, 08:02 PM
hello all. can anyone tell me if this app supports regional tv channels like win and prime? I live in Canberra and the scheduling is slightly different on our channels

appletoast
27th August 2008, 08:21 PM
This app crashes a lot for me and i dont like how its in 24 hour time when its in upright view. The buttons arnt so responsive when you click them either.

ozymandias
27th August 2008, 09:19 PM
The developer is great, I emailed him asking for Perth times and he had it sorted within 24 hours. Top notch, it's much better than IceTV and worth the money.

gareth
28th August 2008, 12:33 AM
nice app but i want foxtel channels :)

mab
28th August 2008, 12:37 AM
The developer is great, I emailed him asking for Perth times and he had it sorted within 24 hours. Top notch, it's much better than IceTV and worth the money.

Has it got Darwin times? ice is regularly wrong on them

the_doctor
28th August 2008, 11:42 AM
If only Foxtel would come out with an App like this and enable the remote-record function for Foxtel iQ

I would love it if Foxtel came out with an App like this.

It would be great to be able to set something to record on Foxtel through my iPhone. We can already do this on the web but cannot do this on the web on the iPhone.

Does the TV Guide App by Orsome list Australian Foxtel channels?

tcn33
28th August 2008, 12:04 PM

nice app but i want foxtel channels :)

+40 billion.

IDoes the TV Guide App by Orsome list Australian Foxtel channels?
No, dammit. I thought the "wide range of channels" they promised for 1.2 would include some Foxtel channels, but no.

the_doctor
28th August 2008, 12:09 PM
No, dammit. I thought the "wide range of channels" they promised for 1.2 would include some Foxtel channels, but no.

Well I guess I just saved $4. I'll wait until the Foxtel channels become available before I pay for what I'm essentially already getting for Free through IceTV.

Chage
29th August 2008, 05:56 PM
hello all. can anyone tell me if this app supports regional tv channels like win and prime? I live in Canberra and the scheduling is slightly different on our channels

No, it doesnt. Very annoying and I said so, seeing they have no information on their site or appstore saying what channels they do support. Don't waste your money.

graemie
30th August 2008, 05:40 PM
I've had it a few days now and and it pretty much only ever shows ABC content and all the others are blank!

jacobus
3rd November 2008, 07:48 PM
This app is on sale for $2.49 at the moment. Have they added foxtel yet?

DJY
3rd November 2008, 08:37 PM

DId you ever get an answer to your question?
I also am in Canberra - and noticed it is now $2.49.

From their website they state:
"As for Australia, There is Animal Planet, C & I, E!, Disney, Expo, Seven HD,Nine HD,Ten HD,ABC2,Movie One,Nat.Geographic,Ovation, Movie Greats, Movie Extra, MTV, NITV, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr, SBS News,Showcase,Showtime,Showtime Greats Fox Sports 1,2,3 and News and for the various states I have ABC,ABC2,Seven,Prime,Nine,TEN,SBS,SBS News and TDT where available"

So Tassie get regional settings - as TDT is Tassie Digital TV channel...
I see Prime (Canberra's 7) there - but not Southern Cross (our 10) or WIN (our 9)????

chaosboi
3rd November 2008, 09:01 PM
I can't find anyway to add foxtel. Where on their site does it mention foxtel?

ziggotron
3rd November 2008, 09:26 PM
The app is pretty nice, although I think the graphics could be a little cleaner.

silverdreamer
3rd November 2008, 09:43 PM
I can't find anyway to add foxtel. Where on their site does it mention foxtel?

Select Australia under "Regions", then add your Foxtell/disney etc, it's all there.

tcn33
3rd November 2008, 09:45 PM
Tap +, you'll probably be in Australia - QLD or Australia - VIC etc. Tap Regions, then just plain Australia for channels available nationally. They just added a bunch today, e.g CI, ESPN, Fox 8, Fuel, History, Sci-Fi etc.

chaosboi
3rd November 2008, 10:04 PM
I don't have 'Australia' showing under 'regions' :(

silverdreamer
4th November 2008, 12:14 PM
I don't have 'Australia' showing under 'regions' :(

Update the app then, it should be there under regions, ninth one down after the states and before that new Zealand place.

chaosboi
4th November 2008, 03:40 PM
Silly me was looking at IceTv, just realised you were talking about a different app, which I have now purchased and found the foxtel channels :)

Exocet
4th November 2008, 04:25 PM
Not all of them though :(

mmurray
4th November 2008, 09:40 PM
Does anyone else find it sometimes won't load things the programmes ? Tonight it isn't loading any of the SA channels but it is OK on the Australian HD versions and ABC 2

Michael

jacobus
4th November 2008, 11:07 PM
Does anyone else find it sometimes won't load things the programmes ? Tonight it isn't loading any of the SA channels but it is OK on the Australian HD versions and ABC 2

Michael

It does load for me, but it's very SLOW!

the_doctor
5th November 2008, 07:55 AM
Not all of them though :(

Some of the Foxtel channels are available from the NZ listing. Apparently it adjust the times of the programmes to Australian times too.

wilko
5th November 2008, 08:47 AM
Great work, who needs to buy a TV guide now...?

Goldilocks
5th November 2008, 08:47 AM
Looks very suave.

Me too, and this will be the first app to download. It will be very handy when travelling around the countryside to be able to have the local guide on tap.

jacobus
8th November 2008, 10:14 PM
This app hasn't been working for me all week, none of the stations load up. Anyone else having problems with it?

mmurray
8th November 2008, 10:35 PM
This app hasn't been working for me all week, none of the stations load up. Anyone else having problems with it?

Yes something similar. All I can get tonight in SA is Channel 10. Nice idea but kind of useless as a TV guide if it doesn't load. I can just pick up the laptop and look on that.

Michael