PDA

View Full Version : MacBook w. dead DVD, cheaper to import replacement?

Brains
22nd July 2008, 01:11 PM
A friend just messaged me to ask where a replacement optical drive for an early model MacBook can be sourced from -- his friend took it into a Sydney Apple repair centre and was quoted A$700 *boggle*.

He's not scared about dismembering the MacBook to replace the drive, so is there a cheaper place in Australia where a suitable optical can be had, or should I tell him to import a replacement from OWC or FastMac?

stewiesno1
22nd July 2008, 02:03 PM
For that price I'd suggest ebay where you could probably source one for a third of that either here or OS. If it was only $30-50 cheaper I'd buy from a retailer locally but $700. Jeepers.
Of course, if they quoted him for supplying and installing it , that puts it a little more into perspective.

Stewie

JimWOz
22nd July 2008, 06:17 PM
Brains,
Remember it is a 9.5mm high drive not the old standard 12.7.
For a while Matshita had the only ones out there, but I think this has changed.
Also check xlr8yourmac and see if the Macbook needs a master set drive, or if cable select will do.
I bought a Matshita UJ845 for my PBG4 several years ago from UltraDrives (http://www.ultradrives.com) in California as an upgrade from a combo drive.
You should get a current model 9.5mm UJ-857 for about $US140 + freight.

stewiesno1
23rd July 2008, 11:49 AM
It will depend on which model too Jim. Some of the MBPs have drives in that are recommended to be 9.5mm high but you can actually get a 12.7mm drive in there too. This may also apply to the earlier MB models as well although I have no experience with these.

Stewie

fishinthecity
23rd July 2008, 12:06 PM
I got a replacement drive for my CD White Macbook from eBay for (from memory) about $200 including postage from a guy in Sydney. I can dig up the details if you need it, but it was certainly very easy to come by. Replacing the unit wasn't that much fun, but it all worked out fine in the end.

Edit: Here it is, cheaper than I remember! NEW - Apple SuperDrive for all MacBook and MacBook Pros - eBay, Storage, Drives, Apple, Computers. (end time 30-Jul-08 00:49:03 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310068454919&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:AU:1123)

JimWOz
23rd July 2008, 02:56 PM
It will depend on which model too Jim. Some of the MBPs have drives in that are recommended to be 9.5mm high but you can actually get a 12.7mm drive in there too. This may also apply to the earlier MB models as well although I have no experience with these.

Stewie

Yeah Stewie, I thought that the 17 in MBP's still took a 12.7mm optical drive, but the 15 in MBP's used a 9.7mm one (not sure about this at all), which is a bit strange as I also thought the PBG4 Aluminiums were the same thickness case, yet definitely take a 12.7mm drive.

The UJ-857's in stock MB's though are definitely 9.7mm, and have been since day one for the MB.
So I doubt a 12.7mm will fit a MacBook.
The UJ-845, UJ815 & UJ-85J models are all 12.7mm.
Edit: the UJ-867 in the above link to ebay is a 9.5mm drive.

Brains, will definitely get it right though. :)

LCGuy
23rd July 2008, 03:23 PM
One thing i'm curious about is if the mechanism used in the external MBA SuperDrive is the same or similar as that used in the MacBooks.

I'm just thinking - that could be a cheap option for replacement MacBook SuperDrives...$139 RRP.

Byrd
23rd July 2008, 03:32 PM
The Macbook Air has a unique USB port that provides a much higher amperage; sort of similar to the audio adapter that G4 Cubes used.

So, the stock MBA external Superdrive won't work.

JB

LCGuy
23rd July 2008, 03:36 PM
I realise that, thats why I'm asking...whats the possibility that the drive itself may fit in the MacBook, allowing you to mount it internally?