PDA

View Full Version : Some iTunes questions

thebag
22nd July 2008, 12:01 PM
Hi all,

My first question is

Has anybody noticed that in iTunes 7.7 that when you try to import a CD the CD shows up in devices then when you try to import it then disappears. When you reinsert said disc it then imports ok.

Also what is the best way to backup ones iTunes library, if you select backup to disc my second hard drive is not an option, only Burn to CD/DVD. Ihave backed up to multiple DVDs in the past but the library is now getting a little big for that.

It would be a nice option to backup to a second hard drive.

And one last one can you get playlists to sort by multiple fields ie Artist and Year as opposed to either Artist or Year.

Sorry about the long post, but these are some issues that have been bugging me for a while.

purana
22nd July 2008, 12:15 PM
Hi all,

My first question is

Has anybody noticed that in iTunes 7.7 that when you try to import a CD the CD shows up in devices then when you try to import it then disappears. When you reinsert said disc it then imports ok.

I've been having that issue several versions ago. Never found a solution, just the workaround as you suggest.

annirowe
22nd July 2008, 12:20 PM
1) I have never seen this issue with any of my versions of iTunes...

2) The only way I know is to just copy your iTunes folder (provided that you have set iTunes to keep your folder organised and also copy all songs to that folder. The problem with this method is you loose your play Count (I think).

3) Does a Smart Playlist give you that option.. or are specifically trying to sort, and not filter.. Because Smart Playlist will only Filter.

sirstaunch
22nd July 2008, 12:50 PM
1) I have never seen this issue with any of my versions of iTunes...

2) The only way I know is to just copy your iTunes folder (provided that you have set iTunes to keep your folder organised and also copy all songs to that folder. The problem with this method is you loose your play Count (I think).

1) I get that problem

2) Should be Ok with play count as long as you carry the iTunes Music Library.xml and Library.xml with everything else.

MrJesseRoss
22nd July 2008, 06:12 PM
Hi all,
And one last one can you get playlists to sort by multiple fields ie Artist and Year as opposed to either Artist or Year.

Well if you keep clicking the Album field header you'll eventually get to 'Album by Year'. Is that what you're looking for?