PDA

View Full Version : New Pb

leharicot
17th April 2005, 01:02 PM
i'm just about to order a new 15" PB. i have waited for tiger to be released so i can upgrade for nix.

my thinking is that i would rather be on panther and then upgrade when i want, rather than have the pb shipped with tiger. tiger might be buggy at the start and i think having the choice of when to upgrade might be the way to go.

anyone have any thoughts on upgrade v waiting for pb to ship with tiger. i cant see any problems with upgrading. but maybe i am missing something.

also - what's the deal with uptime on the pb. is there something in this, or is it just boys being boys, "mine is bigger than yours"?

neilrobinson
17th April 2005, 01:07 PM
i would think tiger will be fine - apple is pretty good at stuff like that and if its not all fine, fixes are usually released very quickly. I would just say jump in the deep end with tiger.

and well uptime - its just boys being boys. btw mine IS bigger than yours :P

neil

OziMac
17th April 2005, 01:09 PM
Don't forget that you'll be paying $15 more to have the Tiger upgrade on separate disks and you won't bee able to do a fresh install of Tiger without first installing your original OS X (ie Panther). :)

leharicot
17th April 2005, 01:12 PM
thanks.

btw - meant to mention that i have been reading the forums on this site for a while now and they have been very helpful in informing my purchase decision.

its weird when you go into an apple shop and the assistant cant tell you anything you dont already know. and sometimes you know more than them.

thanks to all on the site.

Phillip
17th April 2005, 01:13 PM
Order now, and you will get a choice to buy Tiger for $29 (and get the boxed version) or you can stick to Panther. When tiger comes out there might be a few bugs here and there, and there might be some major problems. We don't know. At the moment it seems pretty stable to me, but we all know of that infamous Panther bug that killed all the FW800 drives when Panther shipped. If you buy the PowerBook now, you have Panther installed, and when you feel like it you could upgrade to Tiger.

Buthidae
17th April 2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Apr 17 2005, 01:09 PM
you won't bee able to do a fresh install of Tiger without first installing your original OS X (ie Panther). :)
Ey???

I've never ever heard of this. I'm sure Tiger can be installed on an empty, supported system, without installing a bunch of previous OS releases...

OziMac
17th April 2005, 01:36 PM
Nup- sorry. You've got to have a previous installation of OS X (admittedly, this could probably be any 10.x) to be able to install the up-to-date versions.

leharicot
17th April 2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Apr 17 2005, 01:36 PM
Nup- sorry. You've got to have a previous installation of OS X (admittedly, this could probably be any 10.x) to be able to install the up-to-date versions.
well that wont be problem because the pb will come with panther pre-installed (along with ilife 05). that's right, isn't it?

OziMac
17th April 2005, 01:52 PM
Sure. But if, for some reason, you need to format your Powerbook and reinstall the operating system (or, hypothetically, you wanted to use the disks to install Tiger on a different Mac or an alternate hard drive) you could not simply go ahead and install Tiger straight away. When you get to the bit where you choose whicch disk to install on, you will get a big fat red mark on any drive that does not already have a version of OS X installed on it.

So, to install Tiger on a blank drive (that has been formatted for Mac OS X) you will need to use your Software Restore disks to install Panther on that drive first, and then install Tiger using the up-to-date disks. In other words, it will take you a fair bit of time :)

leharicot
17th April 2005, 01:56 PM
i thought that i would be receiving the entire tiger os (just as everyone else who buys it gets) once its installed, its goodbye to panther forever.

but, even it is just an 'upgrade' disk, the format reinstall you described is not impossible, but just longer.

thanks for all the info. its all being processed by my brain at the moment.

edit: the apple site does refer to 'upgrade pack' - so i guess you are right.

hawker
17th April 2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by leharicot@Apr 17 2005, 01:12 PM
its weird when you go into an apple shop and the assistant cant tell you anything you dont already know. and sometimes you know more than them.
Yeah, it's a real worry that some stores just employ anyone who wants a job. They don't stop to note if they actually have some background in Macintosh etc. Don't get me wrong - I know lots of Apple stores that have great knowledgable Apple users around, but some don't... And that's sad.

Currawong
17th April 2005, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't worry about Tiger being buggy - yes it will be, but it wont kill you. For me, things like PC's recognising unix aliases in OSX mounted volumes correctly and other changes fixes more things that irritated me about Panther than Tiger can really break. Anyway, we've waited a couple of years for these fixes, whereas the wait for Tiger bugs will only be a couple of months.

the_cripple
17th April 2005, 03:27 PM
I have my powerbook (1.67, 128mbvram etc) for sale if you wanted to save some money on a new one. Mines 1 month and a half old but still in awesome condition. And no waiting times on this one :)

leharicot
17th April 2005, 06:27 PM
thanks all for your input.

cripple - i am salary sacraficing so i need to buy the new article. but thanks anyway and good luck with it. try ebay. a friend of mine sold a brand new ibook on there for only a few hundred under RRP

the_cripple
17th April 2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by leharicot@Apr 17 2005, 06:27 PM
cripple - i am salary sacraficing so i need to buy the new article. but thanks anyway and good luck with it. try ebay. a friend of mine sold a brand new ibook on there for only a few hundred under RRP
Fair enough. I think i'll just have to put it up on ebay.

purana
17th April 2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by leharicot@Apr 17 2005, 06:27 PM
I am about to salary sacrifice also. Got to get updated quote done (hopefully it comes through tomorrow as I emailed the reseller tonight, so they should see it first thing tomorrow).

Going for pb 12" superdrive (and rolling a mac mini into it also). Worked out be a good price, cheaper then going to get a mate buy on EDU price for me.

creativeshed
17th April 2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Apr 17 2005, 01:36 PM
Not my understanding at all. I've installed both Panther and Jaguar fresh, without needing previous systems....