PDA

View Full Version : New to Mac, Any Advice?

Japius
21st July 2008, 07:51 PM
Hi,

Having just bought an iPhone and being the impulse buyer that I am, I would like to buy a mac notebook (really soon)

Never used a mac before, have plenty of windows notebooks and pcs in the house.

Would be used primarily for web, email, itunes, spreadsheets, word processing, and downloads via usenet

I have been attracted to the macbook air, I dont need a cd drive, I like that I could easily use it on the lounge (some of my windows notebooks are quite chunky)

How does the air go with graphics? Not that I do anything too full on but wouldnt mind if it could run photoshop for some of the basic editing I do, do from time to time, would the air have any problems?

I assume my current USB HDD's and network drives will be accessible just like on my PC's?

Any other suggestions for a mac notebook for a first timer? Any major problems with the air?

Really appreciate your time.

maddie
21st July 2008, 07:59 PM
Hi there, im a newbie as well, I just purchased one of the new macbook's with 4gig of ram, 2.4Ghz processor and 320gig hard drive, its a 13.3 wide screen display, totally beautiful machine, trust me get one, I will never go back to a pc again, very easy to use, just took me a couple of hours since I am a regular itunes user, things are easy to pick up.

Japius
21st July 2008, 08:04 PM
Hi there, im a newbie as well, I just purchased one of the new macbook's with 4gig of ram, 2.4Ghz processor and 320gig hard drive, its a 13.3 wide screen display, totally beautiful machine, trust me get one, I will never go back to a pc again, very easy to use, just took me a couple of hours since I am a regular itunes user, things are easy to pick up.

Cool, I'm a bit of a w*nker when it comes to gadgets and things that look cool (hence why I just bought an iPhone despite using MMS and video callign quite a bit on my previous phone)

So the air really appeals to me, just curious how much I may regret it after the thin novelty wears off

Lutze
21st July 2008, 08:07 PM
For usenet look no further than Unison by Panic Software

Spreadsheets and Word processing - check out iWork by Apple

Photoshop work I've no experience off on my Macbook. It will probably be a wee bit clunky on a MacBook Air.

As for your USB drives and network drives, if the drives are formatted in NTFS then they will be readable by OS X but not rightable.

I don't have an Air, but If I had the spare cash I'd be swapping my Macbook for an Air as my Macbook is not needed for heavy cpu lifting stuff.

Japius
21st July 2008, 08:11 PM
As for your USB drives and network drives, if the drives are formatted in NTFS then they will be readable by OS X but not rightable.

Really? hmmm, I have about 5TB in Network Storage plus another 3TB in USB HDD's around the place...................

This does put a dampener on things....

AaronChiles
21st July 2008, 08:13 PM
I had a MacBook Air for a bit and it was fine with all the basic Photoshop functions I needed. It is a bit on the slow side, but it is comparable to one of those entry-level Windows notebooks out there.

Being a recent switcher (8 months) you may be underwhelmed with OS X out of the box. I was so used to having to find Apps to get Windows to do exactly what I wanted it to, but with OS X things just sort of fall into place. USB HDDs will work the same, but if they are NTFS you'll need to reformat them if you want to Write to them instead of just Read (there is a NTFS driver out there that lets you do this to, but it costs some money). Network hard drives should show up fine as well.

The main thing I noticed about OS X is that most of the Apps you use are Free! That's it, MacTalk is a great forum and everyone here will help you out if you have any questions.

Japius
21st July 2008, 08:17 PM
I had a MacBook Air for a bit and it was fine with all the basic Photoshop functions I needed. It is a bit on the slow side, but it is comparable to one of those entry-level Windows notebooks out there.

Being a recent switcher (8 months) you may be underwhelmed with OS X out of the box. I was so used to having to find Apps to get Windows to do exactly what I wanted it to, but with OS X things just sort of fall into place. USB HDDs will work the same, but if they are NTFS you'll need to reformat them if you want to Write to them instead of just Read (there is a NTFS driver out there that lets you do this to, but it costs some money). Network hard drives should show up fine as well.

The main thing I noticed about OS X is that most of the Apps you use are Free! That's it, MacTalk is a great forum and everyone here will help you out if you have any questions.

The thing I am concerned about is that my NAS setup is fairly well up and running and I add to my collections of movies and tv shows daily, If I can only read from them, is there anyway to continue to add to them seeing as they are all NTFS.................If I were to download onto my air then I need to transfer to the NAS (as the air only has 80GB HDD)

Lutze
21st July 2008, 08:33 PM
Really? hmmm, I have about 5TB in Network Storage plus another 3TB in USB HDD's around the place...................

This does put a dampener on things....

As I said, it's readable - just not writeable, you'd have to reformat it to FAT32 or HFS+ to use with a Mac. If you go FAT32 then both Win32 and Mac can read it. However Win64 is NTFS only, from what I remember.

Japius
21st July 2008, 09:23 PM
As I said, it's readable - just not writeable, you'd have to reformat it to FAT32 or HFS+ to use with a Mac. If you go FAT32 then both Win32 and Mac can read it. However Win64 is NTFS only, from what I remember.

Hmmm, ok well may have to just settle for my iPhone, waaay too much data on the NAS drives to even consider formatting

Thank You so much for the info. Was so close to just buying a macbook tomorrow.

Brains
21st July 2008, 10:52 PM
Never used a mac before, have plenty of windows notebooks and pcs in the house.

An affliction that can be cured. Read on ...

[My Mac laptop purchase] Would be used primarily for web, email, itunes, spreadsheets, word processing, and downloads via usenet

Not a drama - apps for all those tasks are available on Mac OS X.

How does the air go with graphics? Not that I do anything too full on but wouldnt mind if it could run photoshop for some of the basic editing I do, do from time to time, would the air have any problems?

Apart from an average level of colour accuracy -- a problem that afflicts every laptop on the planet today -- it is more than adequate, especially in terms of speed. If you want the best on-screen colour accuracy possible, you should invest in a small hardware colour calibrator (the Spyder is a popular one, and not expensive either).

I assume my current USB HDD's and network drives will be accessible just like on my PC's?

Just to clear up a bit of confusion from above ...

Mac OS X can read and write FAT32, read (but not write) NTFS, and read and write to SMB shares. Provided your NAS box makes its shares available via SMB (the default file & resource sharing protocol for Windows) then Mac OS X can work with them perfectly.

To give Mac OS X the ability to write to NTFS volumes, you can either use MacFUSE and ntfs-3g (free, but it is a hack sitting on a hack and some users have had problems) or Paragon NTFS (commercial, but uses code licenced from Microsoft).

Any other suggestions for a mac notebook for a first timer?

Being based around Intel chips, the Air (and all modern Macs) can run Windows XP SP2 or greater, and this can be accomplished in several ways. Apple provide each new Mac with a program suite called Boot Camp, which gives the machine a dual-boot capability (run Mac Os X or Windows), or you can spend a bit more and buy one of the popular virtual machine suites such as Parallels, VMware's Fusion, or Crossover Mac. Fusion is the most popular at the moment. With Windows in a VM and OSX as the host OS, you have access to both platforms simultaneously, and your Windows install does not suffer from any real performance loss by running as a virtual machine.

Huy
21st July 2008, 10:54 PM
Don't forget the new comer.

Sun's VirtualBox. Free.
VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/)

Works well, too.

orisonmarden
24th July 2008, 04:06 AM
thanx for the info guys...i am a new comer too in mac!hope u alll can guide me using this beautifull machine.cheers!

decryption
24th July 2008, 08:23 AM
If it's NAS - share it over SMB (windows file sharing) and the Mac will read and write to it fine. If it's a locally attached disk (USB/FireWire) and formatted NTFS, the Mac will not write to it.

Steiny
24th July 2008, 08:38 AM
If it's a locally attached disk (USB/FireWire) and formatted NTFS, the Mac will not read it.
It will read it won't it? Just not be able to write to it...

But yeah, any network attached NTFS-formatted drives you'll be able to write to just fine. I have 2 Macs and a PC on the same network and shuffle files back'n'forth between them constantly. :thumbup:

decryption
24th July 2008, 08:50 AM
It will read it won't it? Just not be able to write to it...

But yeah, any network attached NTFS-formatted drives you'll be able to write to just fine. I have 2 Macs and a PC on the same network and shuffle files back'n'forth between them constantly. :thumbup:

Oops, my mistake. Too early in the morning to be posting :p

Cybix
24th July 2008, 09:01 AM
yeah if your storage is network attached, then your new mac will read and write to it fine if you can share your NAS with SMB or AFP (afp is the go!) or.. if it can be an iSCSI disk, even better :)

spargo
24th July 2008, 09:24 AM
Have a click through this sticky thread (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/13/30462-ive-just-switched-mac-whats-best-program-do.html), which highlights for you which applications you might find yourself using. There are some gems in there which just might be the clincher in deciding to switch.

beanolo
24th July 2008, 11:05 PM
My First Mac - Help Buying and Getting Started with Your New Mac (http://www.myfirstmac.com/)

Although a bit simplistic, pretty helpful site for new transitioners. :)

Japius
25th July 2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all the great input. FYI I am picking up my shiny new macbook air tomorrow.

I decided that the main use for the notebook was portability, I have probably used my notebooks optical drive once this year, and probably printed from it once as well.

Am no longer considering running windows on it, will jsut be my primary internet/office notebook, perfect for taking to the office and home again most days.

And as far as the photoshop question goes well I had a longthink about it and what I do with photoshop there are plenty of less power hungry programs out there I could use, after all i usually just crop and play around with colours, sometimes remove the background layer etc but again this is rare.

Email, and Spreadsheets are its main job, along with usenet downloads so combined with is portability I opted for the Air.

Once again thank you so much for all the advice.

On a related note, was thinking of jsut going for iwork or do you reccomend buying office for mac? do I really gain much, Iam keen to keep this running as smoothly as possible and dont like the thought of putting MS stuff on it.

Oh and any decent colour laser printers? I checked and my OKI C3100 (yes a bit dated but great printer and not high use anyway) is not compatible with MAC.

Brains
25th July 2008, 08:32 PM
iWork should get you out of trouble most of the time with office-y documents, and there's always OpenOffice available for OSX.

For a decent little platform-agnostic colour laser, look at the small Samsungs. True PostScript, small footprint, quiet, and toner is affordable. Excellent value all 'round.

Oh, and welcome to the fold :)

Japius
25th July 2008, 10:40 PM
Any MUST HAVE accessories I should grab when I pick up my MBA tomorrow
/

haydio
25th July 2008, 10:57 PM
A case of some sort.

boddiz
25th July 2008, 11:19 PM
Would be used primarily for web, email, itunes, spreadsheets, word processing, and downloads via usenet

For web use Safari or FF3, email use Mail (standard), spreadsheets and word proccessing, use either iWork from apple, or Office:mac, for usenet use unison.

I have been attracted to the macbook air, I dont need a cd drive, I like that I could easily use it on the lounge (some of my windows notebooks are quite chunky)

If I was you I would get a macbook, nearly half the price, better features, and they are fairly thin aswell, not as thin as the air, but still fairly thin.

I havent had any experience, but the airs at myer lag when mousing over the dock, so I imagine photoshop would be fairly slow. I have used it on my macbook and runs great, enver had any problems.

Any other suggestions for a mac notebook for a first timer? Any major problems with the air?

EDIT: didnt read a couple of the followup threads

HTH,
Beau

Brains
25th July 2008, 11:55 PM
Any MUST HAVE accessories I should grab when I pick up my MBA tomorrow
/

Seconded, look at a nice sleeve for your new baby. An all-aluminium exoskeleton will only look baby-beautiful as long as it is protected from the books, pens, bumps and knocks it will encounter as it grows up.

Do make sure to get the USB-to-RJ45 adaptor. Wifi is almost everywhere. Key word, almost.

If you have a spare hard drive around -- doesn't have to be huge, 80 GB will do but more is better -- then buy a decent little FireWire and/or USB enclosure to go around it, and use this just for Time Machine backups. This stays at home, and is plugged in somewhat regularly so that backups are done automagically.

Unless you're really adept at trackpadding (and the MBA has a nice pad with multi-touch gesturing) a baby standard-optical mouse, and as the MBA only sports the one USB port, a small road-warrior's non-powered USB hub.

If you want to get truly fancy, and will insist on taking your own wifi broadband connection with you wherever you go (say, by using a 3G cellular network) you can get an ExpressCard-to-USB adaptor that'll let you drop in a 3G carrier's modem and use it on the MBA.

if you want a book of words to ramp up your Mac leet skillz quickly, look for "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual" published by O'Reilly Media. Most excellent.

I think that's about it, really.

Japius
27th July 2008, 11:11 AM
Just wanted to say Thank You to everyone for your advice, I am now onto day 2 as a MAC user with the macbook Air, ended up getting it for $2198 with iwork and on 12 months interest free (wasn't what I intended but the salesperson just kept giving, I do enjoy playing the game) So I was pleased with the result.

The DVD sharing worked perfectly for installing iWork and the touchpad is great am glad I did not buy the mouse afterall.

Once i got used to how the whole network locations are accessed, my network storage is now easily accessible (both read and write).

Have basically given it a fairly heavy (by my usage anyway) workout over night and am getting around 4hrs on the battery which I am pleased with.

Just so easy and light to use on my lap on the couch and I do not notice any performance issues when its not on AC like some of my windows notebooks give.

Overall I am very pleased and i think that if this experience continues I will very soon be updating the rest of my notebook and PC collection to MAC in the next few months.

First stop will be an iMac to replace my chunky media centres.....as soon as they have true HDMI out (can't be that far away)

Havent found a case I like yet so am being very careful, hopefully wont be too long until I find one I like.

Anyway, I am one very pleased new MAC owner.....Thank You to all who gave me advice on this purchase.