PDA

View Full Version : Help for Mac OS newbie please!

kudos
6th May 2004, 08:15 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm about to take delivery of a new powerbook which I'm anxiously awaiting
the arrival of, it's actually the first computer I've ever purchased for myself.

I've worked in IT for over a decade and owned computers since I was 5 agh
the Vic20 was great, wait no it wasn't, I digress.

Anyway, I really need someone to point me in the direction of resources
of Mac OS info and I mean from the ground up. It may sound ridiculous but
seeing as I've never owned a mac before I don't even know how to install
a program!

I have so many questions coming from a peecee background and many of them
are embarrasingly basic, I mean I'm not even familiar with mac file extensions.

Some questions that come to mind are:

How do you install/delete software?

Does Mac OSX have an equivalent of the windoze registry? If not, how does
shareware or time limited software know when to expire? Surely you could
just delete and re-install defeating the purpose?

What is the Mac OSX eqivalent of an .exe file?

For that matter what are the most common file types?

What is X11 ?

That's just for starters !

Cheers,
Kudos

LCGuy
6th May 2004, 09:10 PM
Firstly, Welcome to Macintosh!!!!!!!! Enjoy your stay, and if you need any help, just ask.

Anyway...

Software is installed by either:

a disk image containing the application icon, which you simply drag to your Applications folder. After you drag it to your Applications folder, your program is automatically installed. There's nothing else you need to do.

a regular installer program, which asks you to view the software license agreement, select what you want to install, and then wait a while for it to install, like usual

You uninstall software by dragging the application's icon to the trash, and then holding down the mouse button, and selecting Empty Trash on the contextual menu that comes up.

Time limited shareware knows when to expire by checking the current system time. If it is 30 days after the application was installed, it will not work.

The Mac OS X equivilent to a .exe file is the application file, usually a .app file.

The most common file types are the same as those on the PC, except for EXE files. You can open pretty much any type of graphics file on a Mac, same goes for audio files, and the same goes for movie files. Microsoft Office has a Mac version, so there's no problem with that, either. And HTML files are the same, also.

X11 is a graphical interface for Linux/UNIX based programs.

Hope this helps. :)

Disko
6th May 2004, 09:14 PM
Hey kudos, welcome to the world of Apple, and the forums of AppleTalk. :)

Decryption wrote an article called "What is MacOS? (http://www.appletalk.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=349)" it's a good starting point. For all your other questions, you can definatly ask here - no matter how simple you think they are. - we'd be happy to help you out.

Also, this is probably better suited to the Help forums, which is why i've moved it.

You install software either by running an installer, or copying a program to your computer. You uninstall either by running an uninstaller or moving the program to the trash. It's that simple. Many apps don't have other files scattered around your computer, and are self contained. OS X doesn't have a registry, but it does have a library in which the information you ask of is stored.

The MacOS equivelent of an .exe file is .app
And most common file types are the same as anywhere else, except .app for applications .sit for archives and .dmg for disk images. :)

pipsqeek
7th May 2004, 12:21 AM
What they said about installing apps.

Getting rid of them is as easy as you though. Deleting it then reinstalling it will override the shareware rubbish, but most decent shareware on the mac is worth paying for. And another thing. because of its open sourceness...You an find many free or donation ware around. Infact, everything on my iBook is free. Not one bit of software is paid for and its perfectly legal.

There once was a time when I did leech everything. Using the mac somehow gave me a guilty feeling. so rather then buy everything I had. I scrapped the lot and attempted to find free versions. deleting just the app will not entirely get rid of the file. When the apps are run for the first time, there is a file created in the "preferences" directory.

Instead of M$ office, I use NeoOffice (or Open Office - if you want to run X11 also, which allows you to run basically ported linux versions of an app on the mac....X11 is a windowing environment in Linux). For chat, I use proteus which at this stage is donationware. but its development is really making leaps and bounds so it won't be long before it becomes shareware or purchase. But Fire is still around.

For IRC, X-Chat Aqua. its free and a beuty to use.

the file types are pretty much the same. Word = .doc, picture = .jpg/.gif etc... mp3, mpeg, avi, xls, psd, pdf, txt, rtf, html. on and on.

Hope this give you something to look into for a while. Feel free to ask as many stupid questions as possible. We won't smirk or laugh or think your a joke. We welcome you to the world of Macintosh. Welcome. :)

Steve

kudos
7th May 2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the info guys, much appreciated.

I'll let you know how I get on........

Cheers,
Lee

Astrobuoy
7th May 2004, 07:22 PM
Here is another question from another newbie. In the haste of trying to get a uni assignment in today, I was severely annoyed to find that I couldn't get my CANON LBP-1120 working on my PB. It recognized its presence but the PB told me it doesn't have the updated software to run it. And all CANON has is *.exe files. How do I get my Laserjet to work? (By the way I was using Mac Office so I was able to flick it over to my PC which printed it fine... not on time... serves me right). :rolleyes:

decryption
7th May 2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Astrobuoy@May 7 2004, 07:22 PM
Here is another question from another newbie. In the haste of trying to get a uni assignment in today, I was severely annoyed to find that I couldn't get my CANON LBP-1120 working on my PB. It recognized its presence but the PB told me it doesn't have the updated software to run it. And all CANON has is *.exe files. How do I get my Laserjet to work? (By the way I was using Mac Office so I was able to flick it over to my PC which printed it fine... not on time... serves me right). :rolleyes:
There's no Mac driver for your printer, you can't use it in Mac OS X :(

moo
7th May 2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Disko@May 6 2004, 09:14 PM

Decryption wrote an article called "What is MacOS? (http://www.appletalk.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=349)" it's a good starting point. For all your other questions, you can definatly ask here - no matter how simple you think they are. - we'd be happy to help you out.
You might also find this useful
http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/
written by a linux guy

kudos
8th May 2004, 09:38 AM
You might also find this useful
http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/
written by a linux guy

Agh yes, I have actually already read this a little while back, it's
good to read it again, cheers.

Thanks for the link though moo.

The 'Layers' diagram is especially useful I think.

Kudos

Gothikon
8th May 2004, 10:38 AM
Most printers can be made to work using CUPS if you don't have or can't find drivers, macosxhints.com is a good source of information on this and many other things.

trotkiller
8th May 2004, 11:30 AM
Try Gimp-print, http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3, they have 600 open source printer drivers.

trotkiller
8th May 2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Astrobuoy@May 7 2004, 08:22 PM

Also the HP LaserJet 6 series drivers might also work with your printer

jameso
10th May 2004, 06:01 PM
"Also the HP LaserJet 6 series drivers might also work with your printer"

For anyone wondering how trotkiller knew that info should see the following page.

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php3

It is a list of all the printers supported with gimp-print. Also have a list of drivers you should try if your printer is not officially supported.

jameso