PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 2.0: Toggle data on and off

mvjs
21st July 2008, 09:42 AM
Is it possible to toggle data access on and off using iPhone 2.0 (jailbroken and unlocked)? It doesn't look like you can get to the EDGE menu anymore, so that workaround doesn't work. I'd rather not have to browse to a website every time - you cannot browse to the website if you've just disabled data on that website. Is there a third party application that allows you to toggle data on and off?

Thanks in advance.

mechcon
21st July 2008, 09:47 AM
Turn off Data Roaming. doesn't that fix the problem? I found that I wasn't able to surf the web on it with the data roaming and 3g turned off..

mvjs
21st July 2008, 09:50 AM
Turn off Data Roaming. doesn't that fix the problem? I found that I wasn't able to surf the web on it with the data roaming and 3g turned off..

I seem to still be able to browse the web with data roaming turned off. (are you not in your carriers own coverage area? i.e. you are with 3 but are in a Telstra coverage area)

leon
21st July 2008, 12:41 PM
This is currently putting me off upgrading to 2.0. At the moment I'm running 1.1.4 on my 1st Gen and I have put gobble-de-gook in for the APN settings as I don't want to use EDGE ever. I can't understand why Apple would remove the ability to do this.

Lutze
21st July 2008, 01:53 PM
This is currently putting me off upgrading to 2.0. At the moment I'm running 1.1.4 on my 1st Gen and I have put gobble-de-gook in for the APN settings as I don't want to use EDGE ever. I can't understand why Apple would remove the ability to do this.

It's probably to put pressure on AT&T to do a couple of things:

1. Unlimited connection

2. Increase their coverage

The first two markets for iPhone caused both companies to create plans that gave unlimited data this way. It's a shame the mobile telcos here ignored that.