PDA

View Full Version : Installer iPhone3G

boddiz
20th July 2008, 06:09 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering how I would go about getting installer onto my iPhone3G (pwned)

Thankyou,
Beau

craigd
20th July 2008, 06:10 PM
did you have any trouble jailbreaking your 3g phone

boddiz
20th July 2008, 06:15 PM
I accidentalyl put it into DFU, but after that, it was really simple. the dev tam did a great job!!

Beau

Bima
21st July 2008, 07:35 AM
I can't seem to find any apps or info anywhere on jailbreaking the new iPhone 3G. Where did you get it and any info on how to go about it ?

Being new to hacking iPhone I would like to know where I can find some detailed instructions for using pwnage to jailbreak the iPhone 3G and where to find Installer.
Google is your friend but doesn't seem to like me at the moment.
Please guys I'm itchin to get into this thing.

mvjs
21st July 2008, 08:03 AM
Installer.app does not work with iPhone 2.0. You must use Cydia which should be automatically installed when you jailbreak 2.0.

Bima
21st July 2008, 08:10 AM
Installer.app does not work with iPhone 2.0. You must use Cydia which should be automatically installed when you jailbreak 2.0.

So to Jailbreak I imagine that I just run the Pwnage Tool with iPhone connected to my Mac then when it does it's thing it will install this Cydia ? Is this correct or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

I have downloaded Pwnage and opened it to have a look and the GUI looks great but still I am no wiser on how to begin using it with the iPhone.

I noticed it asked for a choice of "Firmware Bundle" and one appeared even though I didn't have the iPhone connected. What's the deal there ?

mvjs
21st July 2008, 08:13 AM
So to Jailbreak I imagine that I just run the Pwnage Tool with iPhone connected to my Mac then when it does it's thing it will install this Cydia ?

Yes, Pwnage tool will automatically install Cydia.

I noticed it asked for a choice of "Firmware Bundle" and one appeared even though I didn't have the iPhone connected. What's the deal there ?

At some point you must've restored or updated your iPhone, and it was downloaded and saved in ~/Library/iTunes

craigd
21st July 2008, 08:14 AM
im still thinking about holding off.

It would be nice to get things like a free flickr uploader and all the stuff i had before but im just to weary atm.

mitty
21st July 2008, 08:14 AM
Guys, for those interested here is whiteiphone's excellent guide to pwning your 3G iphone. I haven't done it yet as I don't have a mac, but looks pretty straight forward.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/53/54021-guide-jailbreak-iphone-3g-without-errors.html

Bima
21st July 2008, 08:20 AM
OK ... I did restore the first iPhone I had but it was stuffed and I took it back next day and had it replaced DOA and so I would be very reluctant to use that file eh ?

I think I will delete that when it the Tool makes it and delete it from my iTunes library as well.

So how would I get the new one ? Do I run Pwnage Tool with the iPhone connected ? Is that the way to go. BTW sorry to harrass you so early in the a.m. but this is the most positive help I've got so far. Thanks

Woops .. didn't see the guide link in the last post .. thanks:)

Bima
21st July 2008, 08:41 AM
I noticed this
(Step 22:
iTunes Will Do Its Thing And Restore Your iPhone, Go Make Yourself a Coffee, Tea Or Whatever.
Come Back In 10-15 Minutes
You Will Have The Restore iPhone Page In iTunes
(You May Get A Pop Up About Carrier Settings)
So Restore Your iPhone From Your Previous Backup)

in the last step so I imagine that as ususal I must back up the phone before doing the jailbreak and then restore the original backup from iTunes to get my settings and carrier settings back eh ?

Spartan
21st July 2008, 10:45 AM
Did it all last night....not really worth it imho. You get Cydia...and it has basically NO apps for 2.0

So at the moment its no real big thing to jail break 2.0 3G iPhone.

Bima
21st July 2008, 11:10 AM
Did it all last night....not really worth it imho. You get Cydia...and it has basically NO apps for 2.0

So at the moment its no real big thing to jail break 2.0 3G iPhone.

Yeah I guessed as much but wanted to fool around with it to get used to hacking the iPhone so it's familiar and easier when the time comes.
Already got an error in iTunes that couldn't install the custom file made by Pwnage so I have to find a way around that one or reason for it. Everyone else appears to have been successful.
Any idea on the refusal on iTunes part to install the custom file ? :cool:

Got it done. mistake was that I made was that I didn't use the downloaded file but my back up file.
So ... follow the instruction to the full and it works great. :D

Spartan
21st July 2008, 01:59 PM
Yeah I guessed as much but wanted to fool around with it to get used to hacking the iPhone so it's familiar and easier when the time comes.
Already got an error in iTunes that couldn't install the custom file made by Pwnage so I have to find a way around that one or reason for it. Everyone else appears to have been successful.
Any idea on the refusal on iTunes part to install the custom file ? :cool:

Got it done. mistake was that I made was that I didn't use the downloaded file but my back up file.
So ... follow the instruction to the full and it works great. :D

:p;)

Its fairly easy, you get used to it quite quickly. Especially after hacking it so much, then having to restore etc etc :p

Good fun old days on iPhone 2G :p

Bima
21st July 2008, 06:20 PM
What I am really after is Swirly MMS and the other app that will allow to receice MMS.
Just not so sure how to get them and install them with Cydia ?

I know that Swirly MMS is on Installer but that wont work with Ver 2 mmmmmm

You are right abot Cydia not having much to offer yet.

Bima
21st July 2008, 07:03 PM
just found out that Switly MMS doesn't work with 2 anyway. Developer is working on a new vets and will put it on Cydia when it's ready. Who knows may be anotther app for MMS by then. Early days yet eh ?

altflood3r
21st July 2008, 09:41 PM
I hacked my iPhone today with Pwnage tool 2.0 ofcoarse .. Cyndia or w/e it is is on it but i would like to get installer.app ,Will it be an Install option though Cydia or what?

Huy
21st July 2008, 09:44 PM
Cydia and Installer are two separate things, just like the official App Store.

You won't be able to install Installer, from within Cydia.

It's like asking the App Store to install Cydia for you...

Bima
22nd July 2008, 05:44 AM
There is a vers' of Installer being developed for the 3G iPhone with fw2 but I read it may be some time. There should be more apps on Cydia as time passes. It will be some time I think before we see a large amount of really usefull apps for 2

Spartan
22nd July 2008, 08:47 AM
Its still early days. Just like when we first jailbroke iPhone v1 we had to wait a while until we got some apps. Just be patient :)

Also, even if Installer could be used on 2.0 it will be pointless (like Cydia atm) because there are no apps developed for this firmware.

So sit back and wait really :p