PDA

View Full Version : IPhone backups taking 30 minutes or more

plasmo
19th July 2008, 11:53 PM
When I only had 10 apps, the backup of the iPhone contents onto the Mac that occurred before the sync of new apps and iTunes content took only 5 minutes. Now I have 80+ apps and the backup takes 25-30 minutes, with the exact same setup on my iMac. Even if I sync my iPhone a few hours after a successful backup, it still takes 25-30 minutes to finish a backup. It must have something to do with the backup process performing a full backup rather than an incremental backup (or 1 bad app/process delaying the backup).

I also have 50+ custom ringtones on my iPhone that I am trying out, could this be causing the long backups? This needs to be fixed soon, I cannot wait 25-30 minutes everyday to backup/sync my iPhone and I do not want to limit the number of apps I have on my iPhone either.

I have performed standard troubleshooting, including iPhone reset, did not make any difference to the backup time.

Imagine all your ipod contents (especially 40GB+ models) were completely synced each time, this would add unnecessary time and sync processes. Please look into this Apple!

On the bright side, clicking on the X to skip the backup works. This skips the backup and sync continues with updating iTunes content to the iPhone. Not ideal, but sufficient for now.

Huy
19th July 2008, 11:56 PM
You have 80+ apps?

Yes - backups are full backups, not incremental backups.

The solution right now for you is one you don't want to take: limit your ringtones and apps.

It has been mentioned elsewhere (maybe not here) but it has been suggested that Apple look into an incremental backup rather than a full backup.

plasmo
20th July 2008, 12:05 AM
I am still trying out the apps while it is still a novelty.

Has anyone been able to create more than 9 homescreens on their iPhones?

Huy
20th July 2008, 12:07 AM
I am still trying out the apps while it is still a novelty.

Has anyone been able to create more than 9 homescreens on their iPhones?
9 is the limit.

Create up to nine Home screens for quick access to your Web Clips and any applications you download from the App Store.
Apple - iPhone - Features - Home Screen (http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/homescreen.html)