PDA

View Full Version : Needs Vs Wants - Firewire, Clam Or Pismo

cosmichobo
16th April 2005, 08:30 AM
G'day

I'm after a powerbook/ibook for use at University. Main requirement is an airport card so I can use the wireless zones set up around campus.

The only other real need then would be linkability to my eMac.

I'm currently bidding on a Pismo with good battery and airport card, so if I win its ready to go... but do I really need it? For a lil bit cheaper I've seen a clamshell ibook SE, inc airport, and the only real diff is no firewire.

Q1 Can the ibook and eMac be linked painlessly via USB or ethernet? (painlessly and reasonably costlessly)

Q2 Can webcams be linked to clamshells via USB? (as there's no firewire)

Q3 Do people ever laugh at you when you pull out your clamshell ibook? ;)

cheers and thanks

Travis

p53
16th April 2005, 08:41 AM
Q1 They can not be linked by USB as far as I know, but ethernet should work fine.

hawker
16th April 2005, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by cosmichobo@Apr 16 2005, 08:30 AM
Q1 Can the ibook and eMac be linked painlessly via USB or ethernet? (painlessly and reasonably costlessly)

Q2 Can webcams be linked to clamshells via USB? (as there's no firewire)

Q3 Do people ever laugh at you when you pull out your clamshell ibook? ;)
Personally I think an iBook G4 would be better, but thats me :)

Q1) Through Ethernet yes, you can either buy a switch and a couple of network cables or get a cross over cable. You can get all of this stuff at your local PC/Mac store or Dickies etc.

Q2) Any USB 1.1 webcam can yes. Any USB2 web cam might be able to work, however it might not perform to the best qauilty.

Q3) never owend one, cannot comment. However, most people are rather impressed with Apple products. You should hear the WOW's I get when I pull out my 12" powerbook... And people love the design of the iMac, and most are knocked off their chair when they realise the computer is actually in the monitor ;)

Paxton
16th April 2005, 09:48 AM
The Pismo has now (finally) been given support from Apple for Tiger, so personally I say go for the Pismo. They have the ability to have a processor upgrade to 500MHz G4, which will give them the legs to run the next update to OsX. Good luck with the auction, and keep us posted.

Phillip
16th April 2005, 01:09 PM
The Pismo. Overall, its just worth the extra, with all the extras you get on the machine. It was a PowerBook to begin with ;) But, have you looked at the iBook White 500 Mhz models? They for for quite cheap these days (~$500). And they are faster and smaller than the Pismo.

Byrd
16th April 2005, 07:02 PM
Go the Pismo, if only because it's much easier to upgrade CPU, hard disk, and comes with video out. Furthermore, having firewire and the possibility of some USB2.0/802.11x etc PCMCIA card also opens up possibilities.

I like the Clamshell - my girlfriend loves the one I gave her - but you hit the wall immediately on any future upgrades. It's a nice machine to use, cumbersome but said g/f always gets comments whenever she uses it at uni.

JB

icant
16th April 2005, 09:12 PM
The Pismo is generally a better machine IMHO. You get Firewire, a 1024x768 screen and video out. The Pismo is now also on the Tiger compatibility chart, if that is important to you. The iBook isnít (without 3rd party software).

Harddisk upgrades are easier.

Iím not sure the CPU upgrade capability is an advantage, since I havenít heard many good reviews of the the NewerTech and PowerLogix processor upgrades. The expansion ports are nice to have, if you have some expansion modules. Otherwise, the modules themselves are quite pricey.

Just a note that the video iChatting (without 3rd party software) requires a machine faster than the Pismo.

The iBook has its advantages, like a handle, more sturdy design. I used to carry around my cousinís tangerine one, without a case with it (my personal preference). Itís not too bad.

Macs with Ethernet can connect to each other quite painlessly with ethernet. You can also connect via FWóeither via disk mode (more common), or via funky networking (uncommon).

As for the iBook 500 MHz, my experience is that it is not faster than the Pismo 500 MHz (the Pismo also came in a 400 MHz). It is smaller, if that is important to you. It is also quite annoying that the 600 MHz version was much faster. If I remember correctly some cache was added in addition to the additional 100 MHz. The 600 MHz G3 is also the minimum system requirement for iChat AV video chats (without 3rd party software).

cosmichobo
16th April 2005, 11:49 PM
Howdy,

I was outbid on the Pismo. Shame... it was a 512Mb/12G machine with airport card. It went for $567, which technically was $67 over my budget.

I've been considering a clam as looks like I can easily get one for $500, inc airport etc... whereas the Pismos rarely sell under $500 (without airport). As for the white iBook 500's, just looking on past sales at ebay they dont seem to sell for under $600, again with no airport.

Are the white iBook G3's better or same as a Pismo in terms of upgrades etc?

Cheers

Travis

iLuxo III
17th April 2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by cosmichobo@Apr 16 2005, 11:49 PM
I've been considering a clam

Stay away from the clam - and anything G3, with Tiger on the loose you will want the graphics stuff which requires a G4 as the minimum spec.

Otherwise you will be disappointed in the near future.

Cheers...

gaehl
17th April 2005, 01:06 AM
The main problem with the clam shell ibook is the resolution 800x600 lots of programs will be unusable at that resolution. I believe that the minimum useable resolution of OSX is 1024x768 and that is coming from a person that currently has 12 inch iBook G4 (1024x768) and a Cube powering an LCD (at 1024x768). At work I hook the iBook up a 17 inch CRT at 1200x1024 and it is much better. Trying to run everything at 800x600 would be very cramped.

So my advice is to try and find a Laptop that will do at least 1024x768 as I don't even believe all of the iLife Suite can run at 800x600.

cosmichobo
19th April 2005, 11:14 AM
So long as the machine I end up with can hook up wirelessly to a network, and handle word processing and web browsing for uni... upgrading to the latest OS etc doesn't really worry me. I remember running OS 7.x on a Mac Classic with 2Mb RAM as a kid (well, you know... a whole 14 years ago)... but it doesn't really phase me now. I ran OS 8.6 up until late last year, so it has been fun jumping into OSX with my new eMac, but really - can live without being on the edge. And at any rate, there wont be money for any upgrades after I buy - whatever power/ibook I end up buying - so its not much of an issue.

Oh, and of course have to impress the heathens at uni... I think the Pismo has more style than the ibook (wont even score it against the clam).

cheers

Byrd
19th April 2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by icant@Apr 16 2005, 09:12 PM
As for the iBook 500 MHz, my experience is that it is not faster than the Pismo 500 MHz (the Pismo also came in a 400 MHz). It is smaller, if that is important to you. It is also quite annoying that the 600 MHz version was much faster. If I remember correctly some cache was added in addition to the additional 100 MHz. The 600 MHz G3 is also the minimum system requirement for iChat AV video chats (without 3rd party software).
The original iBook 500 had a 66Mhz bus vs. 100Mhz for the Pismo 400/500, while the iBook 600 has 100Mhz bus as well. Memory bandwidth is usually a little better on 'pro' Apple notebooks, but in this case having a faster bus plus slightly more clock speed does the world of difference.

JB