PDA

View Full Version : Iphone Developing for Dummies

mitty
18th July 2008, 12:08 PM
Okay. I'm reasonably interested in developing apps for the iphone. But I have no idea what kind of learning curve there is (more for me since I've only ever had PC's). Here is what I know so far:

a) i need a Mac (I'm prepared to make that sacrifice if it means fame and fortune lol)
b) Need to get the SDK and sign up for it which costs $99 I think?

So apart from this I don't know to much. My programming experience is basically limited to Visual Basic on the PC, nothing to major only a few simple apps over the years. Is the iphone SDK anything like VB or is it C or something like that?

I don't expect to be developing Super Monkey Ball or anything like that, I'm thinking more informational type apps like train timetables etc that run standalone on the phone not requiring a data connection.

I've done a bit of a search around but if anyone has any sort of complete NOOB app developers guides I'd appreciate any links/info that others can provide, and I'm sure there are others who are interested as well.

cerebus
18th July 2008, 12:13 PM
Start here (http://developer.apple.com/iphone/index.action). You won't have to pay the $99 yet until you actually want to publish software.

Quamen
18th July 2008, 12:16 PM
You should do the following:

1. Buy a mac
2. Read Amazon.com: Cocoa(R) Programming for Mac(R) OS X (3rd Edition): Aaron Hillegass: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Programming-Mac-OS-3rd/dp/0321503619/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216347327&sr=1-1)
3. Visit iPhone Dev Center (http://developer.apple.com/iphone) and sign up for a developer account
4. Buy a paid developer account to test on hardware
5. Make software
6. profit!

Start here (http://developer.apple.com/iphone/index.action). You won't have to pay the $99 yet until you actually want to publish software.

Not true. You need to buy the paid iPhone developer membership if you want to test on real hardware.

mitty
18th July 2008, 12:24 PM
^Thanks guys/gals? :) Will take a look. I think I'm holding off on a Mac Purchase, with rumours of new models coming out soon, particularly the Mini. Probably a dumb question, but assuming I've got keyboards, monitors etc, I'm guessing the Mini is fine to program with? Seems powerful enough, and new models will hopefully have even more grunt.

jamesatfish
18th July 2008, 01:05 PM
So apart from this I don't know to much. My programming experience is basically limited to Visual Basic on the PC, nothing to major only a few simple apps over the years. Is the iphone SDK anything like VB or is it C or something like that?

Cocoa Touch (the framework for iPhone applications) is primarily written in Objective-C, which is an object-oriented language compared to Visual Basic which is procedural. If you know C syntax then you'll have no problems with the code itself - you'll just need to get your head around the transition to an object-oriented language.

Once you've got access to the iPhone developer tools (ie the free membership not the paid one) then you can download the sample code and tutorial guides, which make it easy to get your first application up and running.

If you're building something like a train timetable, take a look at the SeismicXML and DrillDownSave code samples. The first one shows you how to pull data from an XML file hosted on the internet (where your timetable data will come from) and the second shows you how to save data in an offline cache for when you don't have internet access to refresh the timetable.

As for the Mac Mini - any Intel mini should handle the development work with no problems. I do most of my coding on a MBA which is probably no more powerful than the early Intel minis, and nothing ever takes more than 20 seconds to compile and load into the iPhone simulator.

Good luck with the coding!

zacbookpro
18th July 2008, 02:50 PM
where can I get the SDK from without downloading 1200mb?!

Quamen
18th July 2008, 03:35 PM
where can I get the SDK from without downloading 1200mb?!

You can't as far as I know.

conufsed
18th July 2008, 03:58 PM
I'm supprise Quamen didn't point out hanging around your local cocoaheads as well, up here in Brisbane, we are all working iPhone dev

unjosnav
27th August 2008, 03:28 PM
Hi. i am new here, but not on mac or iphone.
my questions is:

if i already have finish my app for the iphone
how can I publish on itunes appstore ?

Do i have to pay OBLIGATORY those $99 ?
or can I put there for free ?

my app will cost $1.99
its a game.

help please !
thanks a lot !

decryption
27th August 2008, 03:29 PM
Hi. i am new here, but not on mac or iphone.
my questions is:

if i already have finish my app for the iphone
how can I publish on itunes appstore ?

Do i have to pay OBLIGATORY those $99 ?
or can I put there for free ?

my app will cost $1.99
its a game.

help please !
thanks a lot !

Yep! You *MUST* pay the US$99 to Apple to get your application listed on the App Store in iTunes.

unjosnav
27th August 2008, 03:35 PM
thanks a lot !
c 4 arround !

Comet
27th August 2008, 03:50 PM
Yep! You *MUST* pay the US$99 to Apple to get your application listed on the App Store in iTunes.

You also need an ABN, register for GST, ring up IRS in the US...

unjosnav
27th August 2008, 03:52 PM
sorry what thats means please ?
ABN, register for GST, ring up IRS in the US

nando
27th August 2008, 04:10 PM

is ur location ur real location???:eek:

~Coxy
27th August 2008, 04:44 PM
If you're in El Salvador you won't need an ABN, that's for Australians. You will need to deal with the IRS (tax service) in the US though.

Exocet
27th August 2008, 04:46 PM
Also check with the local tax authority in your country to ensure you don't make yourself liable for tax problems.

Quamen
27th August 2008, 07:27 PM
You also need an ABN, register for GST, ring up IRS in the US...

Not True.

You only need an ABN and to registered for GST if you want to sell an App. The fun and games with the IRS in the US will reduce your tax bill but isn't necessary to sell an App.

You can publish free apps straight away though..

unjosnav
28th August 2008, 12:21 AM
but i have people, (family) there, that they can receive the money monthly rigth ?
could be ?

Comet
28th August 2008, 12:47 AM
The info about what tax forms you need to fill etc are described in the portal once you pay the $99. Believe me it ain't easy when you are doing this on your own. Not sure about El Savador and the tax system there. If you're serious about selling your app then I suggest paying the $99 to gain access to all the resources about publishing the app. Also, your app may work fine in the simulator but not on the actual phone so best you get the provisioning certificates by joining the developers program.

nando
28th August 2008, 07:59 AM
but i have people, (family) there, that they can receive the money monthly rigth ?
could be ?

where is your family?
me too from El Salvador BTW but in Australia.
so..wheres ur family?

to be 100% accurate there arent many spnish related apps....that have iPhones...well..Spain...parts of South and Central America and Mexico..hmm ok..
so my suggestion is..to read lots of programming tuts.. preferably in Objective C.
Objc C is not really a C based language like Java.
and yes is true...if ur app works on the simulator it may not work in your device.

Also..signing up for the Apple Dev Account..is not...I'll do it today and expect to have an account today...theres a waiting period of around 2 weeks...and thats IF Apple says yes to you.
So...
like it had been said before..

get a Mac.. (the faster the better!)

get comfortable with with the IDE..(you may need to install XCode before hand thats available on ur Mac OS X install disc)

get the free SDK ..play around with what ever useful tutorials you can find (Apples Tuts I feel are too advance for a beginner regardless of the lang you come from)

develop against the simulator...

once u feel comfortable with the simulator..purchase an app dev account

cool ;)

jjooeell
8th September 2008, 03:45 PM
Here is a good starting point, it's not iPhone specific but it introduces Cocoa and Objective-C programming to non-programmers.
I want to start with programming (for the iphone, probably) and I'm using this to get going.

BecomeAnXcoder | CocoaLab (http://www.cocoalab.com/?q=becomeanxcoder)

mitty
8th September 2008, 03:54 PM
Hm well I've signed up for the developers account and downloaded both Xcode and the iphone SDK, however there's the slight issue of having a mac to install em on. Come on Wednesday :)

matthew858
8th September 2008, 03:57 PM
The mini must have Leopard on it.

Ecto1
8th September 2008, 09:36 PM

You publishing apps and selling them on itunes means you are running a business. Which means in australia you need an Australian business number (ABN). It is illegal to run a business with out one.

I dont know what type of tax laws you need to jump through where you are at. so you will need to find out before you apply as an iphone dev.

Mark T
8th September 2008, 09:59 PM
in australia you need an Australian business number (ABN). It is illegal to run a business with out one.

It is certainly not illegal to run a business without an ABN - but it may be inconvenient because other Australian businesses may be required to deduct tax from any money they pay you if you cannot supply an ABN.