PDA

View Full Version : Cost To Repair Ibook Lcd

yushiro
15th April 2005, 10:37 PM
This is embarrasing and pretty painful.

I dropped a router on the LCD screen of my 6 month old Ibook G4.

Does anyone have any idea how much this should cost to be repaired?
I got a quote and its almost $1700...considering i only paid $2000 for this thing, I find this hard to believe. I was told the replacement LCD cost $1600 alone.

I saw some canadian sites offering to sell ibook G4 screens for $350 canadian. Thinking it would be cheaper to send it to canada, get it repaired and pay for the postage there and back....and still come out cheaper than getting it repaired here.

Also, in the event that I can't get it repaired...does anyone have any idea how much I could get for it if I sold it (with the damaged LCD). 6 months old...hardly used...even still got the box it came in....I bought it 2 months before Apple released the new Ibooks.

This is so painful :(

applecollector
15th April 2005, 10:43 PM
What if you were to goto microseconds and ask their or option 2 do a search on ebay and see if their are any ibooks that are broken but the LCD is good buy that and fix it your self?

snax
15th April 2005, 10:51 PM
In the meantime get yourself a cheap crt display, usb keyboard and mouse... and enjoy your new mac mini :)

applecollector
15th April 2005, 10:58 PM
Now thats a good one!
Now this is where apple is STUPID!
If you buy an apple product and if you accdently break it then they should allow for a cheap reapir and plus only werid, sick people would want to break a $2000 or more dollar computer!

yushiro
15th April 2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by snax@Apr 15 2005, 10:51 PM
In the meantime get yourself a cheap crt display, usb keyboard and mouse... and enjoy your new mac mini :)
yeah, that's what everyone's been telling me...but i'd prefer to have something i can take with me everywhere....

besides....if i used it as a mac mini....i'd have to open the laptop in order to switch it on and keep it on...which means staring at the fruits of my unfortunate labour....a busted screen with liquid crystal running down it...looks like its crying...which is what i should be doing....

House
15th April 2005, 11:44 PM
I don't know how much damage you did to the case and subframe, but i cracked my lcd when the lid SLAMMED shut when it slipped off the armchair and i tried to grab it.

Mid-2004, a new LCD cost me: $700 including labour. (12" G4 iBook, 1.07Ghz)

the_OM
16th April 2005, 12:30 AM
If you want to buy your own lcd, could you just buy an old G3 500-900 ibook and use the display form that? Would that work the same?
You can pick them up pretty cheap on ebay, or they come up here from time to time.

applecollector
16th April 2005, 12:38 AM
i think you should go with that!

yushiro
16th April 2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by House@Apr 15 2005, 11:44 PM
I don't know how much damage you did to the case and subframe, but i cracked my lcd when the lid SLAMMED shut when it slipped off the armchair and i tried to grab it.

Mid-2004, a new LCD cost me: $700 including labour. (12" G4 iBook, 1.07Ghz)
$700? where did you get it repaired?

House
19th April 2005, 04:10 AM
Apple Centre Berwick, outer eastern Melbourne. I'll see if I can dig up the receipt and get an exact cost (very close to 700 if not exactly).

jerome
2nd May 2005, 06:58 PM
I got a quote from apple for a 15" replacement screen and I was told $1700+

its a joke

titan44
2nd May 2005, 07:28 PM
I echo what others have said, track one down from ebay/wherever and do it yourself, download a tear down manual from pbfixit and set aside a saturday arvo for the job, i've done a couple now, it's not that hard of a job as long as you don't rush it and be carefull.

ADAMS77
2nd May 2005, 09:26 PM
i know a person who used to work at Next Byte as the main tech. he might know someone that has a spare. if u email me at schillingadam@hotmail.com then ill ask him if he knows anyone who can get a screen cheaply and get it installed aswell.
cheers
Adam S

yushiro
5th May 2005, 08:31 AM
Thank you everyone for their suggestions but I think I'm just going to take it apart and flog it on Ebay as spare parts...Kinda got my heart set on a new 12" ibook...smaller and lighter so won't kill my shoulder hauling it around places...

Sorry I haven't replied recently as I needed time to think about whether I wanted to try to repair it or just replace it....as much as I'd like to have a new toy to place with, I'm still kinda attached to my broken ibook...which makes selling it (even in its current state) a little painful.

Thanks again to everyone again and especially adams77 for kindly offering to see if he could get his friend to take a look at it.

Cheers

ps. now just need to convince myself i DON"T need a pb...no matter how much i want one.

jeremyfarnan
5th May 2005, 09:11 AM
I take it that you have the 14 inch model then. How much do you want for it?

The 12 inch are only $1599 but the rumour sites are talking about new iBooks coming.

Anyone else got any gossip on possible new models?