PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take your iPhone 3G to backup?

deepspace
18th July 2008, 10:01 AM
I notice that my iphone 16G takes forever to backup. There are around 40+ apps loaded in the phone and no more than 1G of music and photos. But every time it takes almost 1 hour to do the backup job. :(

Just wonder is that normal for you guys? How long it usually takes your iphone to backup?

Also mine crashed a lot. 7-8 times since I got it last Friday, bit worry about any hardware issue to do with my new gadget.

Kuma
18th July 2008, 10:17 AM
a little bit of time in the mac blogosphere will reveal that this is common.

basically the iphone is backing up every app installed.

the answer is hopefully in 2.0.1 which is rumoured to be out there... (removing apps will dramatically improve backup times)

crashes also seem to be prevalent especially when starting apps.

again hopefully new versions of the apps. and 2.0.1 will fix this.

remember to check for new updates... I found that every title I had installed since the store went live had an upgrade available.. and the little notifier was not notifying.

ciprol
18th July 2008, 10:20 AM
Not 1 hour but certain slowish with my 16G unit having >50% loaded, especially the initial backup step.

deepspace
18th July 2008, 10:25 AM
a little bit of time in the mac blogosphere will reveal that this is common.

basically the iphone is backing up every app installed.

the answer is hopefully in 2.0.1 which is rumoured to be out there... (removing apps will dramatically improve backup times)

crashes also seem to be prevalent especially when starting apps.

again hopefully new versions of the apps. and 2.0.1 will fix this.

remember to check for new updates... I found that every title I had installed since the store went live had an upgrade available.. and the little notifier was not notifying.
Kuma, I must miss your post, but did you eventually buy an iphone? I only remember the pros and cons discussion a while ago and you were definitely on the cons side:)

And it seems I need to do some housekeeping works now. 40+ is bit excessive:)

deepspace
18th July 2008, 10:28 AM
Not 1 hour but certain slowish with my 16G unit having >50% loaded, especially the initial backup step.
Mine only has around 8% load, but as Kuma pointed out, the slowness may be due to the apps.

TheWatchman
18th July 2008, 10:29 AM
I have about 10 apps and it prob takes less than 15 mind to update. I have about 10 gigs of music and 1 gig of music on there.

Kuma
18th July 2008, 10:45 AM
Kuma, I must miss your post, but did you eventually buy an iphone? I only remember the pros and cons discussion a while ago and you were definitely on the cons side:)

And it seems I need to do some housekeeping works now. 40+ is bit excessive:)

Yes I did.. but I did it for science :p
and those cons I mentioned are still there... and I have a few biggeis to add too

as for the backups.. clean out your apps.. you will find much shorter back ups follow...
I have about 12 and it takes about 1 min per app...

deepspace
18th July 2008, 10:55 AM
Yes I did.. but I did it for science :p
and those cons I mentioned are still there... and I have a few biggeis to add too

as for the backups.. clean out your apps.. you will find much shorter back ups follow...
I have about 12 and it takes about 1 min per app...
Did it for science? This experiment costs a lot:D

How much you pay for it in Japan? My only complain about optus is the data plan. When I read Macworld reviewer was listening to the free AOL radio program in San Francisco downtown, I pray aussie telcos will release a new data plan any sooner... 500mb vs unlimited is way too different.:(

deepspace
18th July 2008, 10:57 AM
I have about 10 apps and it prob takes less than 15 mind to update. I have about 10 gigs of music and 1 gig of music on there.
that's about right, 1 app/min and less than 5 mins for rest of 11g music or video files. hmm, apple really needs to release an update to improve the app performance.

Kuma
18th July 2008, 11:22 AM
Its going to end up costing around 110/month I think... will see when the bills come in.

The Fluffy Duck
18th July 2008, 11:54 AM
just under one solar cycle atm for me. Have to wait for firmware I'm afraid.

deepspace
18th July 2008, 01:52 PM
Its going to end up costing around 110/month I think... will see when the bills come in.
110/month is a lot. how does it compare with the other smartphone plan in Japan? I think optus plan here is quite reasonable expect the data plan part. but compared what we had 6 months ago, 500mg is a bonus.

just under one solar cycle atm for me. Have to wait for firmware I'm afraid.
hopefully, apple can throw copy and paste and video recording in next firmware update.

Joey1983
18th July 2008, 02:58 PM
For the 1st few days it took forever to Backup when connected to itunes, but lately it seems to be alot quicker. not sure why?

Kuma
18th July 2008, 04:14 PM
110/month is a lot. how does it compare with the other smartphone plan in Japan? I think optus plan here is quite reasonable expect the data plan part. but compared what we had 6 months ago, 500mg is a bonus.

$100 for a smartphone is about on target...

but smartphones here are pretty undesirable... normal phones cover the course pretty well.. and they run most people around 30-40 a month...